Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

removing MY side mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's be honest, the side mirrors suck. I never look at them, and when I do I am always disappointed. I have cameras on both sides anyway. And yes, it's legal in texas to only have one Rear View mirror.

I have a plan to get rid of them altogether, but I'm looking for some input on whether it's even feasible:

1. Take the mirror off per

2. scan the mirror mount and 3d print a flat plastic cover
3. spray it with truck bed liner for smoothness.
4. mount it on in place of the mirror

Questions while I work on this:
1. Will MY work fine without the side mirrors? Any system errors it'll face?
2. Anyone tried this before?
3. Would this affect the waterproof ability?
4. Does anyone already have a model of the MY side mirrors?

Texas law on mirrors
If the vehicle is not equipped with both a left and right side outside mirrors that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle, the rear window must have a 25% light transmission value for the area used for driver visibility value. A glazing shade band is authorized at the topmost portion of the rear window, as with the windshield. The shade band area is authorized to have less than 25% light transmission. The device must have a luminous reflectance of 25% or less.

Do you guys use the mirror at all? Really? They're so tiny and poor fov
I use mine all the time. I tried the ‘blind spot’ cameras but turned them off because It’s such a crappy solution and make things less safe.

If the mirrors are not useful to you you need to adjust them better - I have my left one so it covers my left blind spot. I turn my head \slightly to the left and can see the blind spot in the mirror and any car in front of the blind spot in my peripheral vision. Ditto with the right. Now, the view out the rear view mirror is pretty crappy but that’s a different issues. I’m trying to figure out why on earth someone would remove 2 out of 3 mirrors, keeping only the worst one.

Let's be honest, the side mirrors suck. I never look at them, and when I do I am always disappointed. I have cameras on both sides anyway. And yes, it's legal in texas to only have one Rear View mirror.
And if you drive outside of Texas?

The rear view in the Y is pretty crappy, esp for me coming from the big and vertical back window of an Outback. I use the side mirrors to make up for this.

I also wonder if you would face any addition exposure if you were involved in an accident, having removed them, or if the TX law would shield you.

I struggle to see the ROI for the effort.

dr-evil-how-about-no.gif

Use your mirrors. And yes, I use them. And get this… I even look over my shoulder before I change lanes…