Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing number plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. Popped the plastic surround off the aluminium number plate with flat blade screwdriver
  2. 4mm drill pilot holes in plate
  3. Align and drill 4mm pilot holes in plastic back
  4. Using the self-tappers that hold the 2 plastic halves screw the plate on
  5. Step back and admire
Will do the back tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4007.jpg
    IMG_4007.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4008 2.jpg
    IMG_4008 2.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 158
Couldn't you just use strong double sided tape to stick the plate to the plastic bit that's screwed to the car? No drilling required.

You certainly could but sometimes it's nice to have the option to cleanly remove plates and re-attach without having to remove tape residue and then re-apply. If the plate holder backing on the front and rear is already rigid enough I would go with this option first, if it doesn't work that can also be removed as it's just bolted on.

Reactions: DaddyCool
Fair enough. I thought the curvature of the front bumper meant that you couldn’t easily fit a plate flush with the body? (not in a place that wouldn’t obstruct the radar)
The obstruction of the radar is BS - look how high up it is, the picture is 100% wrong the plate would not be facing flat and at that location would be at 45degrees at best, probably illegal for reading, and rip off at speed.

Where I've left it its curvy down there and marginal flex in the aluminium plate and if not using the back plastic half I'd have to go vinyl.

You certainly could but sometimes it's nice to have the option to cleanly remove plates and re-attach without having to remove tape residue and then re-apply. If the plate holder backing on the front and rear is already rigid enough I would go with this option first, if it doesn't work that can also be removed as it's just bolted on.
That my my thinking too re removing! Whole thing came about because the bolt into the bumper had 1/8" play on it and needed tightening.

I simply removed both parts of the plastic carrier, curved the aluminium plate slightly over my thigh and reattached with sticky pads. Looks fine. No drilling required and easy to do. At the back there are mounting sockets provided.since I had the sticky pads, I didn’t use them to avoid drilling the plate, but it is difficult to understand why Tesla don’t simply bolt the plate to the car. Much neater than their ugly carriers.

Reactions: Durzel
Fair enough.

Can you clarify what you mean by this:
.. do you mean that you left the black plastic bit that screws into the bumper in place, and stuck the plate to that?
Yeah, there's hex nuts holding a black plastic base to the car bumper, the black plastic branded number plate holder is screwed to this black plastic base. Two black plastic parts - one ends up in the bin.

I simply removed both parts of the plastic carrier, curved the aluminium plate slightly over my thigh and reattached with sticky pads. Looks fine. No drilling required and easy to do. At the back there are mounting sockets provided.since I had the sticky pads, I didn’t use them to avoid drilling the plate, but it is difficult to understand why Tesla don’t simply bolt the plate to the car. Much neater than their ugly carriers.
Can you post a picture of front/back? Im looking to get some 3M tape to anagram DUAL MOTOR and if it looks better I'll give it a go.

Back done too - not as sleek as the black plastic base is larger than the plate (not much - If I find my torx set I'll remove the base and trim to
size)
Be very careful drilling pilot holes into black plastic base whilst still on the car
View attachment 524709 View attachment 524708 View attachment 524710
Alternative for the back is to remove the black parts in their entirety and double sided tape directly to the car as I did, or if prefer you could possibly drill the plates and fix directly I to the same fixings the plate holder used.

Reactions: pow216
Perhaps I’m just being dumb. I want to fit my personal reg plates
2FFE388B-D9DA-46F0-9F7E-78FA447BBE5A.jpeg
but my plate holder looks to be all one piece apart from the Tesla.com plate at the bottom. The surround doesn’t appear to have anything that unclips that I can get a screwdriver in.
If I had to guess, I’d say the Tesla.com plate holds the number plate in place.

any help welcome