Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing paint armor cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably pretty cheap, you could do it yourself. It's just like removing a Zagg, Best Skins Ever, Bodyguardz screen protectors. Done correctly, it will not damage your paint.

What concerns do you have that would make you rethink the paint armor?

Thanks all. My friend is telling me that the paint could get damaged if any water becomes trapped under the paint armor (during install or after). Also, the paint will not be the same if I remove the plastic. Something about the glue that is used to install and heat gun that is required to remove the film. He also mention people charging an arm and leg for removal. Is this BS, so to speak? Thank you.

Automotive films "breathe" a tiny bit, which allows any water trapped underneath to slowly evaporate out. Zero worries about trapped water.

Removed properly by a professional, which includes the use of a heat gun, there should be no damage to paint and very little residual adhesive. How much this costs depends on how much of the car is wrapped. For a partial front-end (not full hood), maybe $100 - 200.

I went the other way and added more to the entire hood. It already saved a rather large chip on the hood so I needed to replace the factory front third section anyway. An installer can easily remove it but I would probably just leave it since you paid for it. It doesn't look that bad but zi still wanted full hood coverage so went ahead and did that.

I went the other way and added more to the entire hood. It already saved a rather large chip on the hood so I needed to replace the factory front third section anyway. An installer can easily remove it but I would probably just leave it since you paid for it. It doesn't look that bad but zi still wanted full hood coverage so went ahead and did that.

I'm going to add a hood wrap as well. Not sure why Tesla wouldn't offer that straight from the factory. I now have to undo their work to wrap the whole hood.

Great. For some reason, the paint armor has been a more difficult option for me. I know it sounds odd. It is really split on the forum. Some folks don't like the line... fear a yellowing effect and coverage. All in all, it seems like Tesla is charging a fair price for this option.

I'm going to add a hood wrap as well. Not sure why Tesla wouldn't offer that straight from the factory. I now have to undo their work to wrap the whole hood.

There are two reasons:

1. Every other car company does it that way.

2. Tesla's supplier doesn't make a wide enough film to do it in one (I understand they have just started making it wide enough now, but Tesla probably has a lot of the old material to use up first.)

But yeah, it's a pain.

The paint armor is a laser pre-cut kit they can easily (relatively) install. A full hood on a hood as large as the model S is far more difficult to get it blemish free. Then, once you get rid of the hood line, someone is going to say... "Why is there a line on the fender?" Then we're all going to complain that they should full wrap the front fenders up to the door.

You can always opt out and get it done aftermarket should you change your mind.

The paint armor is a laser pre-cut kit they can easily (relatively) install. A full hood on a hood as large as the model S is far more difficult to get it blemish free. Then, once you get rid of the hood line, someone is going to say... "Why is there a line on the fender?" Then we're all going to complain that they should full wrap the front fenders up to the door.

You can always opt out and get it done aftermarket should you change your mind.

I like the idea of getting it done by TM because there is a path for recourse via warranty, etc.

I like the idea of getting it done by TM because there is a path for recourse via warranty, etc.

My installer said the parts Tesla covered were good and he wouldn't add anything other than the full hood. There is a lifetime warranty on the Avery film against yellowing. Would be better from Tesla though.