Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing paint from your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lloyd

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2011
San Luis Obispo, CA
I was driving home today and some road striping was being done witout any signs or warning. I was driving sort of agressively and my right tires crossed the fresh paint on the shoulder. Below is the result. What does not show in the photo is a light white mist of speckles over the entire right side. About three hours later and some mineral spirits removed it all. What a pain !! :cursing:

paint1.jpg
paint2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's terrible. You should complain to your DOT or municipality.

Make sure you clean the area thoroughly after using the mineral spirits. It leaves a residue that can damage paint over time if not removed.

Another option given the paint is fresh is a clay bar. I have no idea how to clean your felt fender liner, though. I suspect you'll have to replace that, and in another thread it sounds like Tesla (or at least the Fremont SC) is refusing to sell those to owners. Did you manage to get the liner clean?

Do NOT use a clay bar.

It will remove some of the paint, but in the process it will scratch your paint. Claying was not intended for this type of mess. Rather, you can try acetone or goof off...or mineral spirits as Gizmotoy suggested. As for your trim, you have to be careful that you don't get the acetone, Goof or mineral spirits on it. You might have to use a really high CFM pressure washer or something like undiluted APC (soaking) on the paint. Still, you might get some fading of the plastics after which I would recommend CQuartz DLUX.

Do NOT use a clay bar.

It will remove some of the paint, but in the process it will scratch your paint. Claying was not intended for this type of mess. Rather, you can try acetone or goof off...or mineral spirits as Gizmotoy suggested. As for your trim, you have to be careful that you don't get the acetone, Goof or mineral spirits on it. You might have to use a really high CFM pressure washer or something like undiluted APC (soaking) on the paint. Still, you might get some fading of the plastics after which I would recommend CQuartz DLUX.
Can't say I've ever heard that. My detailer back in Ohio specifically mentioned this being the safest way, and I had a bunch removed from my bumper this way when a place I was parked decided to paint numbers on the spots while I was there. Indeed claying is commonly recommended for all types of paint overspray and touch-up paint misapplication and splatters. This seems awfully similar. I've also never heard of a clay bar scratching your paint when used properly (light pressure, frequent turning, and lubrication), but I suppose it's plausible.

In any case, there's a couple other options, then.

Last edited:
Wow, that's terrible. You should complain to your DOT or municipality.

Make sure you clean the area thoroughly after using the mineral spirits. It leaves a residue that can damage paint over time if not removed.

Another option given the paint is fresh is a clay bar. I have no idea how to clean your felt fender liner, though. I suspect you'll have to replace that, and in another thread it sounds like Tesla (or at least the Fremont SC) is refusing to sell those to owners. Did you manage to get the liner clean?

There is no way to clean the liner. I could try scraping it with a knife, but I think I'll just have it replaced at the next service.

- - - Updated - - -

Do NOT use a clay bar.

Even mineral spirits was removing some of the black plastic on the lower valence! It was just right. Acetone I believe would be too strong and remove too much of the plastic. I'd say if the mineral spirits do not work test an unvisible area with acetone first. Acetone would likely remove paint also. Be careful!!

hmmm...

Claying is recommended for overspray and fallout, not gross road splatter, which may be full of road debris, asphalt, concrete, dirt and hardened paint particles. Even when done properly, claying can mar the paint surface. However, that point is typically moot since the next logical step for most people who clay the paint surface is hand or mechanical polishing.

- - - Updated - - -

Even mineral spirits was removing some of the black plastic on the lower valence! It was just right. Acetone I believe would be too strong and remove too much of the plastic. I'd say if the mineral spirits do not work test an unvisible area with acetone first. Acetone would likely remove paint also. Be careful!!

Not surprising. I wouldn't use any of those products on the trim or valance. In terms of the acetone, yes...it does remove paint -- hopefully just the paint you want to remove! :) However, if you are careful around the clearcoat it will take off what you intend to take off. Mineral spirits and Goof would be better choices.

I also noticed while cleaning all this paint, there is an area on the leading edge of the passenger door that is missing paint. You can only see it if you look at about 45 degrees to the door. You can see it in the 2nd photo.

Wow, this really sucks. I feel badly for you...what a mess.

Is it missing paint or missing clear coat?

I'd do what I could to clean and protect the area. Do you have any opticoat or other nano coating around?

I had Zaino on this car, and the paint came off fairly easily with mineral spirits and my finger nail. I had to take one square inch at a time. I think the clear coat is ok. I will buff and re-apply Zaino or possibly opticoat the car. I have done other cars in opticoat and was impressed with the ability to shed dirt and stuff like this, but Zaino did it's job also.

I had Zaino on this car, and the paint came off fairly easily with mineral spirits and my finger nail. I had to take one square inch at a time. I think the clear coat is ok. I will buff and re-apply Zaino or possibly opticoat the car. I have done other cars in opticoat and was impressed with the ability to shed dirt and stuff like this, but Zaino did it's job also.
Both are excellent, IMO. I used Zaino on previous cars and loved it. Had my Model S OptiCoated, and I hit it with some ClearSeal and Gloss Enhancer every few months as well. A quick run through a touchless wash always removes all the dirt, which I've never seen before. So, I vote both. :)

Do NOT use a clay bar.

Great advice!! Clay is a nono since there might be road grit in the paint overspray and that will rub into the clearcoat and scratch it