Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Phone Tray Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a rattle coming from my center console and am 99% sure it is coming from the phone tray. I removed the two charging cables from the phone tray and that helped immensely, but there is still a rattle coming from the actual tray itself. Is it possible to just remove the tray altogether as I have no use for it and it rattles. I saw once you flip it up there is two screws behind it, is that all I need to remove it or is there more to it? Thanks

I had that rattle and put a piece of self-stick tacky rubber I had laying around between the tray and the plastic toward the top. A piece of self stick foam or felt would probably work the same. Now there's a bit more tension when I open the console that lips over it, but no more rattle.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
I had that rattle and put a piece of self-stick tacky rubber I had laying around between the tray and the plastic toward the top. A piece of self stick foam or felt would probably work the same. Now there's a bit more tension when I open the console that lips over it, but no more rattle.

wow thanks for your reply, I was starting to think nobody would respond because its my first post lol, anywho I had a tesla ranger out and he said you can not just remove the phone tray, you would have to remove the entire center console as its all one piece. Just thought id share if anybody else was curious now that I had an official answer. He offered to replace the whole center console but I declined as the rattle is small and very inconsistent but when its happening it sounds like an old pirate ship. Probably has to do with temperature and such as its plastic. Just so you know, removing the two phone cords from the tray also helps a lot!!! But now I have an obsolete phone tray lol

Also while im here, the ranger told me to wiggle the phone tray around side to side kind of aggressively or even pull on it kind of roughly to work out the creaking sound. He seemed very knowledgeable so I just nodded my head but I don't see how that would make things any better by loosening it all up by tugging on it. I should have asked for his logic, I also should have waited two months and gotten this same car for 10,000 dollars cheaper but oh well lmaooo.

Also I would like to add, so far ive had three rattles, the phone tray in the center console, the seatbelt tensioner on the passenger side, and one from my passenger side door panel. the phone tray one seems like it just needs some sticky felt on it to make it snug. the one on my passenger door was from when the service center removed the panel and put it back on, they fixed it by taking it off a second time and replacing the clips as once the panel is removed its not a snug fit once you reapply it.. and the third one with the seatbelt tensioner I fixed by holding the button down in the second middle position and slamming it down to the lowest position kind of roughly so its locked down tight (that plastic that moves up and down on the tensioner is what rattles so slamming it down kind of wedges it down there, will most likely probably reoccur once somebody sits in it and uses the seatbelt but it felt good at the time) and that's it.

One more thing, if you go to service center, I don't recommend getting a loaner because their gonna put you in an AWD model S which are much faster and your gonna get used to it and then get back in your model 3 and think its slow. I thought my Model 3 was fast as hell before I drove the model S for a couple days and now that luster has faded now that im back home in my model 3. There's a good story behind why I was in a loaner for a couple days but ill save that for another time. (has to do with tesla denting my week old car) ;)

One more thing, if you go to service center, I don't recommend getting a loaner because their gonna put you in an AWD model S which are much faster and your gonna get used to it and then get back in your model 3 and think its slow. I thought my Model 3 was fast as hell before I drove the model S for a couple days and now that luster has faded now that im back home in my model 3. There's a good story behind why I was in a loaner for a couple days but ill save that for another time. (has to do with tesla denting my week old car) ;)

well the other alternative, which is what happened to me, is that they ran out of Tesla loaners and they gave me a BMW 430xi instead. And for a week I couldn't wait to get back into my 3.

wow thanks for your reply, I was starting to think nobody would respond because its my first post lol, anywho I had a tesla ranger out and he said you can not just remove the phone tray, you would have to remove the entire center console as its all one piece. Just thought id share if anybody else was curious now that I had an official answer. He offered to replace the whole center console but I declined as the rattle is small and very inconsistent but when its happening it sounds like an old pirate ship. Probably has to do with temperature and such as its plastic. Just so you know, removing the two phone cords from the tray also helps a lot!!! But now I have an obsolete phone tray lol

I had an awful creak coming from the phone tray, it was consistent and slowly driving me mad.

Some people reported that loosening the two screws and then wiggling it around so it settles in a different position, then re-tightening solved the issue. Mine was so bad that this didn't help.

Mobile service came out for some other things, and the tech used 'Krytox' grease and worked it into all the hinge points really welland thoroughly. It's been perfectly silent since - I've been regaining my sanity and can enjoy driving again with the stereo lower than 70%! :)

Is it possible to just remove the tray altogether as I have no use for it and it rattles. I saw once you flip it up there is two screws behind it, is that all I need to remove it or is there more to it? Thanks

Yes it can be removed, undo those 2 screws in the backplate and pull it towards you, keeping that backplate as vertical as possible. It's held in place by about 6 spring clips and takes quite some pulling. Take care not to lose the shiny square magnet.