Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing rear undertray on refresh Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one remove the rearmost plastic undertray? I have all the bolts and plastic snaps loose, but can't figure out how to separate it at the rear. I'm trying to install the Torklift trailer hitch, but the instructions are for pre-refresh models.

P_20170927_121829.jpg

Got it, thanks. I had assumed you would be able to remove the tray without removing the whole bumper.. Makes this much more of a pain because I had to put it all back together before cutting the access hole, and probably have to take it all apart again...

@gabeincal, do you mind if I ask where you got that pdf? Looks like there could be a lot of useful information for this and other projects. I too, am about to embark on the installation of the Torklift hitch and am looking for all of the information that I can find before I start. TIA

Got it online. It's 1.5GB so I can try to upload to Google drive and share the link with you. My home internet connection is pretty slow though, so might not happen :)

Got it, thanks. I had assumed you would be able to remove the tray without removing the whole bumper.. Makes this much more of a pain because I had to put it all back together before cutting the access hole, and probably have to take it all apart again...

The .pdf shows nothing different from the pre-facelift instructions. There is no need to remove the tray from the bumper, the whole thing comes off as a unit. You cut the access hole with the unit assembled and then put the entire thing back on.

Why would you want to separate the "tray" from the Bumper cover? The whole thing has to come off to remove the crash bar, in order to install thew EcoHitch anyway.

Actually, I just ordered the Ecohitch yesterday as I have a couple of long bike rides coming up that are a long way from home and would like to have the hitch on for the trips. I have installed hitches myself on two previous cars, but this install looks much more challenging. I hope it goes without a "hitch". ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: cmarshack