Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Roof Rack between trips when it is needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the standard Yakima rack with the Control Towers separate from the rack mounts on the car. I really like this solution since what stays on the car is fairly small and has covers that finish it nicely.

Putting on or removing the rack is a 30 second process.

In reading about the Yakima Whispbar solution that Tesla has started to carry, it appears it is not this easy. It looks like the rack and mounts are all one and that once connected to the car the only way to remove it is to unscrew/uninstall it.

While my solution may not be as sleek or quiet, I prefer its convenience over the Whispbar.

I definitely need the roof rack for some trips, but mostly don't want it on the car. Is it pretty easy to remove and store?

Just installed the Tesla sold Whispbar system. Probably took 40min to install because I had a hard time with the manual and a part needed to be removed from the bars before installing the fit kit made for the Model S. But, once done, I would say its a 5-10 min process to install or remove now.

Cwave:
Do you have pictures and part numbers for your Yakima rack on the Model S?

I have the standard Yakima rack with the Control Towers separate from the rack mounts on the car. I really like this solution since what stays on the car is fairly small and has covers that finish it nicely.

Putting on or removing the rack is a 30 second process.

In reading about the Yakima Whispbar solution that Tesla has started to carry, it appears it is not this easy. It looks like the rack and mounts are all one and that once connected to the car the only way to remove it is to unscrew/uninstall it.

While my solution may not be as sleek or quiet, I prefer its convenience over the Whispbar.