Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing sold car from my account - Carmax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever sold to Carmax and if so, how long did it take them to remove the old car from your app? I sold my M3 to Carmax last week and took delivery of a new M3 on Saturday. I can't seem to remove the older car from my app or website. Calling Tesla, as we all know, is tough to get someone on the phone.

Did you try the information that tesla has on their website for instructions for this?

==========================================

Can I remove a car from my Tesla Account?
Yes. You can use the Tesla app to remove a car from your account. If you are transferring ownership, please note that Supercharging credits, upgrades and some other features may not be transferable. After the removal, your previous ownership documents, lease/loan documents and receipts can be found in the ‘Previously Owned’ section of your Tesla Account.

To remove your vehicle from the Tesla app:

1. Tap profile icon in top-right corner.
  2. Tap 'Add/Remove Products' > 'Remove.'
  3. Tap the vehicle to be removed.
  4. Review the requirements to remove your vehicle. Then, tap 'Get Started.'
  5. If applicable, pay any outstanding Supercharging balance.
  6. Answer questions about your vehicle. If you are transferring to a new buyer, submit their information. If not, select 'Skip.'
  7. Review information about your vehicle and the new owner of the vehicle.
  8. Submit your removal request by selecting 'Remove' > 'Yes, Remove.'
  9. Enter your security code.
  10. You will receive an email to confirm your request.

Note: To access this feature, you must have Tesla app version 4.8.0 or higher.

Follow these steps to remove a car from your Tesla Account:

1. Sign in to your Tesla Account.
  2. Select ‘Manage’ next to the car you’d like to transfer or remove.
  3. Scroll down and select ‘Remove Car.’
  4. If you're transferring to a new buyer, submit their information. If not, select 'Skip this Step.'
  5. Submit your removal request.
  6. You will receive an email prompting you to confirm the removal within 10 minutes. Once confirmed, the removal will be final. If it is not confirmed within the 10-minute time window, the request to remove your car will expire. You can resubmit the request to remove your car at any time.

I sold my 2018 M3 in May '22 and replaced with a 2022 M3 the same week. It was easy for me to remove the old vehicle using my Tesla account on their website. I didn't try to remove it using the app. As noted in the Tesla instructions the documentation on my 2018 M3 is in the Previously Owned section of the Tesla account webpage. Did you do a total reset in the car before you gave it to Carmax? Doing that per the Tesla instructions essentially is similar to "reset to factory settings" on a smartphone. It removes access to the car from the Tesla app, removes identifying info, etc.

Reactions: theocguy
I sold my 2018 M3 in May '22 and replaced with a 2022 M3 the same week. It was easy for me to remove the old vehicle using my Tesla account on their website. I didn't try to remove it using the app. As noted in the Tesla instructions the documentation on my 2018 M3 is in the Previously Owned section of the Tesla account webpage. Did you do a total reset in the car before you gave it to Carmax? Doing that per the Tesla instructions essentially is similar to "reset to factory settings" on a smartphone. It removes access to the car from the Tesla app, removes identifying info, etc.
Not sure what happened. Did the factroy reset when I turned it in. I sent a note to tesla.

Anyone ever sold to Carmax and if so, how long did it take them to remove the old car from your app? I sold my M3 to Carmax last week and took delivery of a new M3 on Saturday. I can't seem to remove the older car from my app or website. Calling Tesla, as we all know, is tough to get someone on the phone.

You reset the car to factory defaults while at CarMax (it will prompt for a password) and remove the car from your app/phone. Took all of a few minutes.

Reactions: PLUGZIN