TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Removing Speed Limit Mode without pin

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Whisky, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Whisky

Whisky Member

For whatever reason (probably because of children playing with the phone), Speed Limit Mode got enabled on my mom's Model 3. We don't know the pin. We've called Tesla twice. The first time we were told it needed to be done on their end, and they'd call back, but we haven't heard back. The second time the support person talked about valet mode... which the car is not in... at any rate, anyone else have this happened? There a quick solution? Calling Tesla doesn't seem to help....

2. swaltner

swaltner Member

The Owner’s Manual (on the in-car dash or on the web site) discusses how to recover if you don’t have the PIN. I can’t check now, but as I remember, you could clear it from the mobile app using your website credentials.

• Like x 1
  3. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

This is what the manual says:

Note: If you forget the PIN, you can enter your Tesla Account login credentials to disable Speed Limit Mode.

• Helpful x 1
  4. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The manual states "Note: If you forget the PIN, you can enter your Tesla Account login credentials to disable Speed Limit Mode."

I tried both the app (iPhone) and online and there is no way to reset the PIN unless Speed Limit Mode is disabled already (I even tried logging out and logging back in to the app).

It may require a trip to the SC for them to do it (and then make sure to set a PIN so that no one else sets it for you).

5. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I couldn't find it anywhere either. Interestingly enough, you can turn off valet mode without the PIN from the app.

6. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I understand the reasoning - your kid could have the app on his phone and you wouldn't want him to disable SLM through the app. I doubt you are giving app access to the valet. :)

7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

That does make sense. I never thought about that.

8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Have you tried 1234? :p

• Funny x 3
  9. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Laziest Turo renter ever?

:D

10. Whisky

Whisky Member

So... took another call to Tesla to figure this one out. When it refers to "use your Tesla credentials" they mean within the car, and not in the app. All fixed.

11. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Did they show you were in the car to enter the Tesla credentials?

12. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

I had the same problem today. I talked to three service centers. Big thanks to Victor and Anna Marie at the Rockville, MD location. They are awesome!!!!

Go to controls
    Settings
    Driver Assistance (I think)
    Turn the speed limit slider to off.
    It gives you the PIN screen, but also gives you a place to enter the App login/password.

Done

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1