Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Stock subwoofer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you "break in" the sub? I know when I initially installed mine I did not get a lot of bass from the back. Once I started to play a sweeping rang video found on youtube I'm finding the bass response to be more noticeable after just a few hours of "break in". I did not stuff my enclosure with fill and I only used hot glue to seal up the existing holes.
Normal break-in via use, not range sweep. :)
Break-in refines the sound, not makes bass go from zero to boom. There should be bass from the get-go.

Yep, my vote is loose/cold solder joints. With your handy multimeter, your final resistance reading should be 1ohm. If it’s not, then you know there’s a prob. If it is 1ohm, make sure the seal is tight around the sub and the enclosure. When I first installed mine, I got cute and ringed the sub with double-sided install tape. It must’ve been too thick because I got no bass whatsoever (air escaping). After I removed the tape and just screwed the sub down without anything in between, the bass was instantly back. Good luck.
Thank you! I dread taking everything apart again, but I should have verified the sound volume before putting it back together. My fault. My friend at the back said, "It's working!" when we tested it before re-assembling. We did solder the connections, but something may have worked loose I guess. I did not fill the old screw holes. Not an audiophile so I did not know it would make that big a difference. Will rectify that as well.

Thank you! I dread taking everything apart again, but I should have verified the sound volume before putting it back together. My fault. My friend at the back said, "It's working!" when we tested it before re-assembling. We did solder the connections, but something may have worked loose I guess. I did not fill the old screw holes. Not an audiophile so I did not know it would make that big a difference. Will rectify that as well.
Take some pics...

I just did this today. I have a stock UHFS in a 2018 MCU2 Model S and just changed subwoofer to SoundQubed HDS2.1, 8 inch, dual 2 ohm ($92). I filled the holes in the enclosure from the stock subwoofer screws with silicone sealant. The original torx screws that held the Tesla subwoofer were not long enough to reuse and there are 8 screw holes in the SQ compared to 6 in the original, so I had to use some spare screws I already had. I wired it for a 1 ohm signal by connecting both positive wires from the SQ together and then connecting the negative wires together. I reused the original speaker wire connector and soldered all connections. The only difficulty I had was in putting it back together I could not get the torx 25 screw back in to the bottom of the trim piece. I thought it was not lining up, but later realized the screw was in the hole, but the threads were not grabbing anything. I finally had to add a clip to the screw hole for the screw to have something to grab. Maybe there was a clip there originally and it fell out - not sure. Sound is noticeably better to me. I had to recalibrate the EQ settings for a better balance with the tighter bass from the SQ - and the new sub is not even broken-in yet. I expect it will sound even better after some time.

Anyone else done this upgrade, and loved it? I mean sub only no amp upgrade w/ UHFS
ready to buy...

Anyone else done this upgrade, and loved it? I mean sub only no amp upgrade w/ UHFS
ready to buy...

I installed mine a few months ago, overall a fairly easy project, but not a huge change. I have the HDS2.1, Dual 2 Ohm. Break-in with usage after install.I would say the bass is tighter, but not quite as loud as stock. I rarely listen louder than 5-6. I 3D printed the mounting ring and wired in. Fairly easy/fun project, but would be better with additional amp. That said, it was only $75 and it is badass speaker, lol...

I know it’s hard to diagnose blind, but installed the SQ sub in my 2020 model x. Parallel wired. No upgrade to amp. It makes noise, but not much. All the bass I can hear is coming from front speakers. I tried moving fade all the way to the back and it’s obvious it’s not working right. Anyone have an idea what I did wrong? Thanks.

Swap the positive and negative terminals on the speaker. If you are 180 degrees out of phase with the other speakers - the woofer will vibrate just as hard (friend confirms speaker travel) but you will hear diminished sound. I wired two subs out of phase from each other before and it was completely silent but pushing 1500 watts

I ordered a rockford punch p2 for just a couple bucks more to try. 600rms on the soundqubed seemed too high for the factory amp thats like 80
Did your p2 fit the factory box or did you have to use a trim ring? My HW1 X doesn't drop right in.

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_224818~2.jpg
    IMG_20200614_224818~2.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 250
I installed mine a few months ago, overall a fairly easy project, but not a huge change. I have the HDS2.1, Dual 2 Ohm. Break-in with usage after install.I would say the bass is tighter, but not quite as loud as stock. I rarely listen louder than 5-6. I 3D printed the mounting ring and wired in. Fairly easy/fun project, but would be better with additional amp. That said, it was only $75 and it is badass speaker, lol...

I had exactly the same experience. I used my SPL meter before and after with 7 different songs at the same volume level and the new speaker is 3dB or more, less than the stock one. It is a lot crisper in response, but almost 50% quieter. I wish I had a bigger amp to push this.

I had exactly the same experience. I used my SPL meter before and after with 7 different songs at the same volume level and the new speaker is 3dB or more, less than the stock one. It is a lot crisper in response, but almost 50% quieter. I wish I had a bigger amp to push this.

When looking at speaker sensitivity, the Rockford is 83dB vs soundqubed ~80dB. Makes me want to find best "high sensitivity" option? Might help bridge the gap in volume while maintaining the better sound?

Thoughts?

Ok so I didn’t realize that the sub is only in the premium package so I ordered the 8” sub. I was also able to get an OEM sub enclosure and the side carpet for the enclosure. My guess is I am going to need an amplifier now. What would you suggest to push this 8” sub? I am going to have the amp installed by a shop, but would rather have everything ready to go instead of getting sold on something that I don’t really want or need.