Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing the Model 3's center console?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd really like to have a matte PPF installed on my Mode 3's center console. The gloss black will drive me nuts. As the PPF products require a wet install, I'm a bit wary of having it installed in the interior - no idea where excess water will end up and this car is, essentially, a 4000 pound brick of electronics!

Does anyone have any resources that would help me disassemble the center console so the gloss pieces could be wrapped outside the car? I don't see any hits on google, youtube, or reddit, but I am guessing that some knowledge exists somewhere!

Thanks in advance...

I'd really like to have a matte PPF installed on my Mode 3's center console. The gloss black will drive me nuts. As the PPF products require a wet install, I'm a bit wary of having it installed in the interior - no idea where excess water will end up and this car is, essentially, a 4000 pound brick of electronics!

Does anyone have any resources that would help me disassemble the center console so the gloss pieces could be wrapped outside the car? I don't see any hits on google, youtube, or reddit, but I am guessing that some knowledge exists somewhere!

Thanks in advance...

You are as OCD as me.
This may help you get started:

I am still looking for a way to remove the wood dash.

Good written explanation of disassembly by member Rdaneel

Two of the three glossy parts are easy to remove. You just pry off the soft touch side panels (about 6-7 clips, and it pulls right off), them remove the aluminum side rails that are attached with half a dozen sxrews. Removing the phone door is harder, the hinge has a screw on each side, then there is a third screw on the left side that you have to hold the door in a certain position to reach. Be careful not to drop the screws into the console! The cup holder also pops off, but it took a scary amount of force. That tiny area has about seven clips holding it in place, plus you have to be careful not to rip the wiring harness for the key reader. I think removing the storage door (the middle of the three pieces) would require disassembling most of the center console, which I wasn't able to do.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
having wrapped it myself using RPM Tesla's 3M clear PPF I can tell you that you won't put enough water on it to cause any problems (make sure your water bottle is a fine mist sprayer). I did it and it was a first time for me. It took a while and I didn't get it perfect but now that I have it, I have decided to go with one of the other materials like the bruised metal or matte finishes as it is still to hard to keep looking nice. You touch it much too often and finger prints just stand out. The others are a dry install and you need to really take your time on alignment as you are taking a 2 dimensional object and fitting it onto a 3 dimensional surface.

So I followed this video to help me wrap my interior with satin black vinyl. I also removed the top panel for the phones. When trying to put the screw back, it fell down the left opening where the hinge is. I lost a screw into the abyss.

I tried using a long magnetic poll to get in there but I came up empty. I removed as many screws as I could see to maybe remove the whole bin but it doesn't seem like it would budge.

Does anyone know how to get in there to retrieve the screw?

Thanks!

So I followed this video to help me wrap my interior with satin black vinyl. I also removed the top panel for the phones. When trying to put the screw back, it fell down the left opening where the hinge is. I lost a screw into the abyss.

I tried using a long magnetic poll to get in there but I came up empty. I removed as many screws as I could see to maybe remove the whole bin but it doesn't seem like it would budge.

Does anyone know how to get in there to retrieve the screw?

Thanks!

Slade, I had the same issue (a different screw fell into that same abyss). Unfortunately, at the bottom of that space is a portal to another dimension through which that screw has traveled. Assuming it wasn't ripped apart by the singularity's tidal forces, it is now on Earth Prime, holding together your evil double's Tesla.

Seriously, though, I don't know of a way to disassemble that area. You'd have to pull off the carpeted sides of the console and remove a whole lot of parts to open up that area. I'd probably just take a screw from one of the aluminum trim rails (which have about six screws per side, and I think the screws are the same) and use it there. Sorry I don't have a better answer!

Slade, I had the same issue (a different screw fell into that same abyss). Unfortunately, at the bottom of that space is a portal to another dimension through which that screw has traveled. Assuming it wasn't ripped apart by the singularity's tidal forces, it is now on Earth Prime, holding together your evil double's Tesla.

Seriously, though, I don't know of a way to disassemble that area. You'd have to pull off the carpeted sides of the console and remove a whole lot of parts to open up that area. I'd probably just take a screw from one of the aluminum trim rails (which have about six screws per side, and I think the screws are the same) and use it there. Sorry I don't have a better answer!
The screw is actually in somebody else car now.

Well it used to be common when you took something apart and put it back together you came up with spare parts. :) I am surprised you can't find it with the side off. The carpeted panel also pops off. I saw a video somewhere, I can't recall where of this panel being removed. You just get your fingers under the front edge and pull. That should give you access to the area.
IMG_1930.JPG

Reactions: slade037
My OCD would not let that screw sit out of place. o_O
Nor would it allow me to leave a space with a missing screw. Easy replacement at home depot?

And, any thought about this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0785H3XR7/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AACQAJ816SDFM

Luckily it doesn't rattle down there or slide around making noise. That would get me all kinds of crazy. I replaced that screw with one inside the cubby where your phone charger goes into the USB. Same exact screw. The camera isn't a bad idea.

Well it used to be common when you took something apart and put it back together you came up with spare parts. :) I am surprised you can't find it with the side off. The carpeted panel also pops off. I saw a video somewhere, I can't recall where of this panel being removed. You just get your fingers under the front edge and pull. That should give you access to the area.

Are you saying I can pull from the red arrows to open up the carpeted panel? I have plastic pry tools that I can use. I already have the side of the center console off noted in the red. The piece in between the two does not seem to budge.

You weren't kidding. I used the videos and opened up the driver side panel and could not find the screw. I'll open both sides this weekend and send out the search party one more time.