TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Removing the rear seat completely

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Grey on Grey, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Grey on Grey

Grey on Grey Banned

I wonder if it is possible to completely remove the rear seat in order to make my Tesla more like a mini van in back, for storage.
    Thank you to the responders who have answered my other thread about changing out the seats for different colour ones.
    I bought mine solely as a means to carry gear and use no gas. The fact that it is a sportscar has no bearing on my needs.

Nice, I suppose, but I couldn't care less if I do 0-60 in 100 seconds.

2. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

It's possible, but you would need to make some sort of cover for the charger(s) that are under the rear seat cushion and there will be a very uneven floor space if you take the seat bottom and back out and then try to build a low profile cover to maximize cargo room. Also, be aware that the heavier the load, the worse the range...

3. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

the rear seats do fold down completely flat! Then you wouldn't have to worry about damaging your charger(s) that are being protected by those rear seats. I'm curious though. For someone that only bought this car for "no gas" it's a VERY expensive route to take just for the sake of no gas.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I was told by a Ranger that they try to avoid removing the the rear seat back because it's almost impossible to reinstall in the correct location. To service the charger(s) they just remove the seat bottom. You wouldn't gain much over just folding the seat down anyway. There's a lot of room when it's folded (not quite enough to haul 4x8 plywood though).

5. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#5 wycolo, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Removing Rear Seat Completely:

Notice the 2 lower corner white plastic mounts. With work gloves yank upwards one one corner to snap it out of plastic. Yank, do not weasel or it tends to jam up. If you have removed any floor bolts replace them! Then do the other side. Now seat bottom lifts out.

1-two.corner.seat mounts.white.jpg

Seat backs have 2 bolts on each side and the center slip pin.

2-side.bolts.and.center.pin.jpg

Ouch!! This bad boy has to go!!

3-ouch!.jpg

Unbolt all the 11mm bolts that hold the frame in place. Only remove the 50 Torx bolt holding the seat belt that is attached to the bigger seat back. After the frame is removed from the car then remove the 3 seat belt sockets, assuming your goal is to create a coupe-van. BE CAREFUL OF THEM ORANGE CABLES!!!

4-twin.chargers.exposed.jpg

Here are the TWIN CHARGERS unless your MS only has the one.

5-trunk.entry.jpg

6-ouch.removed.jpg

Hacksaw or Saws-All off that ouch post. It can always be welded back on later. Tape it securely to the seat pin so it won't get lost.

7-toward.rt.door.jpg 8-toward.left.door.jpg

Now a plywood floor can be installed on the frame for storage, with a lift top flush with the trunk floor. Car camping on a perfectly flat floor, Tesla Style. :biggrin:

This car has VIN just under 2000 mfg Dec 2012. YMMV on almost any aspect, post your findings!
    --

6. flodrab

flodrab Member

very cool ... I just wish it wasn't so labor-intensive and somewhat destructive ... I can sympathize with the OP's objective because one of my other cars is a PT Cruiser, and one of my favorite features of that car is how the rear seat lifts out simply by releasing a lever, creating a fairly large, flat cargo area ... would be nice if my Tesla did the same

7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#7 wycolo, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
    The 'ouch post' being hollow can accept a stout bar with 4 flush bolts tapped into it, so no welding required if one chooses to restore to stock. And remember both side bolsters remain in place, so no exposed cables! With black carpeting everywhere it will look just like any other hearse but with side doors.

60 pounds of seats etc was removed so likely to be lighter when completed.

Once you've taken it apart, going the other way is fairly quick and easy. I'd like to see before and after shots of your PT! Now I'll have to call this the MS-Cruiser. :wink:
    --

8. PBP

PBP Member

@wycolo
    How did you remove the rear seat cushions next to the doors ? I have tried to pull, but I am afraid to destroy them

9. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#9 wycolo, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    In the OUCH photo you can see a white post that holds the side bolsters in place. If you poke a spatula tool in there you should be able to release it. One of mine came off just from manipulation. I left the other one in place. For me they are better left in place as they cover up some wiring and make crawling about in the back more comfortable. There is no actual need to remove these in order to remove seats.

See my thread: Flat Floor for MS: MS Coupe - Completely Flat Floor
    --

10. jstack6

jstack6 Member

thanks, you have good pictures that helped me get to the HVJB in the middle of the 2 chargers. High Voltage Junction Box. Mine has an error along with a 12v low voltage even after replacing and jumping the battery. No Tesla support since it was a SALVAGE title .