Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing trunk side panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a mobile service visit to address some fit and finish issues. One issue (that wasn't fixed) required removal of the tail light assembly. To do this the tech had to remove the side panel in the trunk. I just noticed today that the light on that side is out completely (no turn, break, or parking light). I pulled just enough of the side panel back to see that there is no cable coming from the back of the light assembly, so I'm assuming it wasn't re-attached tightly and it subsequently fell off. My issue is I don't really see an easy way to remove that side panel completely. I booked another service appointment but it isn't until 7/27! Can any of you step me through this?

Thanks!

Don't you have those little black clips?

You should be able the raise the central pin with a small flat screw driver.

Then you will be able to remove the fill clip.

61ewmro371L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Actually, it's fixed. I called my nearest service center (90 miles from me) and they were extremely helpful and walked me through it. It simply took some muscle to pull the rectangular tabs out. I didn't need to to remove the whole panel in order to find the cable and re-attach it, which would have been a bit more involved. The Model Y is quite different from the 3 in this regard. If I had to remove the entire panel, it would have required removing a portion of the trunk surround as well.

Has anyone found a shop manual for the Y (I know it's early, but ...)? I have a similar issue, where after a service appointment my tail light was left very loose and flopping around when I drive. I'd like to fix it sooner than the next appointment I can get. It's the center light that's attached to the trunk decklid. Thanks.

Well, I had no luck with finding the manual, but was able to get the hatch panels removed with some help from Youtube. Got the offending nut tightened up and that little item is checked off my list. I only needed a small screwdriver and an 8mm socket to get the job done. The rest were just held on by clips.

IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0858.jpg

This was the loose nut. It was barely threaded on. Opposite side was loose as well, but it was at least tightened down.
IMG_0859.jpg
IMG_0860.jpg

Well, I had no luck with finding the manual, but was able to get the hatch panels removed with some help from Youtube. Got the offending nut tightened up and that little item is checked off my list. I only needed a small screwdriver and an 8mm socket to get the job done. The rest were just held on by clips.

View attachment 610462 View attachment 610463 View attachment 610464 View attachment 610465 View attachment 610466 View attachment 610467 View attachment 610468 View attachment 610469
This was the loose nut. It was barely threaded on. Opposite side was loose as well, but it was at least tightened down.View attachment 610470 View attachment 610471
Hi, thanks for the nice pictures. I have a slight dent on the hatch when open the garage that this the top of the gate and would like to do a PDR so I would need to remove the trim piece.

For the cinch motor cover assembly, do I simply just pull it off? Is it tape to it? would I break something? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9760.JPG
    IMG_9760.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 255