Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing visor airbag stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody tried to remove the visor airbag stickers the M3? I did it back in the day on my bimmer, and I want to say I accomplished it using rubbing alcohol and maybe even a hair dryer.
Although I don't have my car yet, I have been thinking about getting those stickers off too. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing sticker removal, but they're on vinyl visors. I'd like to know how to get them off of Al Cantara/fabric visors without damaging the material.

Although I don't have my car yet, I have been thinking about getting those stickers off too. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing sticker removal, but they're on vinyl visors. I'd like to know how to get them off of Al Cantara/fabric visors without damaging the material.

Same! I just ordered mine a couple nights ago, but want to remove them ASAP so there is no noticeable difference in the visor. I’ll Huber if you remove them on an older car, there it could create a little rectangle of un-faded fabric in the middle of a faded visor.

I searched and there are some old threads on TMC about removing them on a model S, but I think they were all alcantara and not this premium woven fabric.

Any adventurous 3 owners out there want to be the guinea pigs?

Same! I just ordered mine a couple nights ago, but want to remove them ASAP so there is no noticeable difference in the visor. I’ll Huber if you remove them on an older car, there it could create a little rectangle of un-faded fabric in the middle of a faded visor.

I searched and there are some old threads on TMC about removing them on a model S, but I think they were all alcantara and not this premium woven fabric.

Any adventurous 3 owners out there want to be the guinea pigs?
With the revised configuration windows, I won't be getting my car for 6 months now. Depending on what interiors are available by then, other than black, I will likely change out my headliner to black vegan and do the visors to match, thus eliminating the stickers altogether. We'll see.

I just did this last night. And after a few attempts I was able to get it done without damaging the material (premium woven fabric). After doing some poking around the interwebs I found recommendations to use heat and others that said IPA.

Neither heat or IPA alone was enough to remove the stickers easily. So I eventually got this method:

1. Heat the sticker using a hair dryer on medium (probably use a lower temp with a heat gun).
  2. Soak a section of a white clean rag generously with IPA.
  3. Wipe the sticker with the rag to soak with IPA. Be generous here. The sticker should be obviously saturated with the alcohol. As I progressed I just defaulted to more and more alcohol to make things easier.
  4. Let soak for about 30-45 seconds
  5. Pick a corner and start working sticker away from the fabric
  6. Continue to keep the sticker heated with hair dryer/heat gun as you peel
  7. If you hit a spot that is not coming away freely, resist the temptation to pull too hard - I wanted to avoid stretching the fabric or pulling it away from it’s formed shape. Instead, soak with IPA again and lest rest for 30-45 seconds before resuming with the heat gun and peeling. You can repeat this as necessary until the sticker peels away easily.
  8. Once the sticker is removed soak a section of your rag with IPA and give a moderate scrub to the fabric to remove any adhesive reside.
  9. After the sticker has been removed, hit it with heat to evaporate the IPA and inspect your work. You may want to do the soak and scrub step again to remove any residue you missed.
Of note: on mine there was certain parts of the stickers where the adhesive seemed most difficult to get to release:
  • The smaller stickers on the outside of the flaps, there was a line of seemingly more adhesive that ran down the middle, starting about a half inch in from either end.
  • The larger stickers on the inside of the flaps, while peeling it got substantially for difficult once I got about three quarters of an inch from the edge all the way around the sticker.
In both cases, at first I just tried to power through these tougher areas, but I could see the fabric was starting to stretch and pull away from its underpayment. Eventually I just slowed down, applied more alcohol, soaking time, and heat. That made things MUCH easier.

I was pleased with the results. I was able to remove most evidence of the stickers, though you can see the subtle imprint of the stickers if you look closely (you’d never notice without looking specifically for it). And it looks way cleaner without the garish stickers.

Reactions: usmc70 and BitJam
Thank you! this worked perfectly for me.... I didn’t have to use any heat, but it was 80 degrees in South Florida today, so if your performing surgery in non summer temperatures , a little heat might help.....

(A Hot clay bag works wonders to transfer heat without heat gun)

hot clay bag =hot/cold ice pack from the drug store, microwave as instructed on package... nice warm ~ 120 degree heat