TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Removing warning from Windshield Visor - Have you done it? (or do you want to?)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Runs Kwh, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Runs Kwh

Runs Kwh Member

There was a trail of comments on the forum at Tesla about people removing the ugly warnings on their sun visors using 90+ alcohol. Has anyone done it here? And if so, what are the steps to do so, so that you don't end up with stains and/or a sticky, gluey mess?

2. William13

William13 Member

I want to remove this ugly Nanny state sticker also.

3. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I've been thing of trying it too and this is the latest post over at Tesla Motors...

Brian10 | AUGUST 27, 2014
    There is an earlier, very long thread on this but I, also, followed the same method as the others, used 91% rubbing alcohol, took my time and it pealed right off, no stains, looks fantastic.
    Removing warning labels on visors | Forums | Tesla Motors

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I didn't bother removing them. My solution was just to cover them up with something better:

DSC_5440.jpg DSC_5441.jpg
    DSC_5442.jpg

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Elegant! But when you fold them down the logo appears upside down to everyone looking at the car.

6. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Nice idea, and well executed. Not my cup of tea, though. Most people "see through" the safety stickers because they're in every car. But those two Tesla stickers call attention to themselves because they're so different from the expected, and IMHO they become more noticeable rather than less.

7. trader

trader Member

I just pealed it off very slowly and the alcantara underneath looks perfect. Did not use alcohol or anything, just used a fingernail at the corner to get started.
    This was about two weeks after delivery, maybe more tricky if the sticker had been there longer.

8. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

I am resisting the urge to go to my car to see what the fuss is about. I do not want to start seeing this warning everytime I get in my car.

9. caddieo

caddieo Member

I am not planning on doing it but here's a technic I use to remove the adhesive tape when changing golf grips: using a heat gun or hair dryer on high setting. If you time it right, it heats up and softens the adhesive and the material then peels off easily. I also noted that when my half-hood paint armor was removed for replacement by a full hood wrap, the guy used heat also but in the form of a power steamer. And FWIW, in lifting and saving uncancelled postage stamps, wetting them with acetone is effective.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I did a search and it's a popular subject on car forums; however, somewhere on the first page of the thread the "legal" question is raised and while I can't see that it's illegal per se to remove those stickers the question regarding personal liability (particularly when the car is sold on) in case of an accident is thorny one, especially given the sometimes litigation-hungry society we live in.

11. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

12. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

I know when I had my M3 people would order the European spec sun visor which did not included the hideously ridiculous sticker. I don't know if this is still the case anymore but it might be possible to order a European Spec sun visor from Tesla if it is.

13. iffatall

iffatall Member

What do you mean when you say "use" 90% rubbing alcohol? Dab it with alcohol, until it is completely soaked?

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

In Canada, these stupid things have to be in both English and French (i.e. a bigger sticker) making them even uglier. One funny thing they do (although I don't think my Tesla has it) is a transparent sticker on the passenger side window by the mirror with the French version of the "Objects are closer than they appear..." inscription on the mirror itself. That is the first thing to go on my cars.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This:

5042821644.jpg

Pharmacies carry it (Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Target etc) and you can buy it usually in 70% or 90-91% concentrations, or occasionally you find it as 99%. The balance percentage is usually water (which the alcohol carries away as it evaporates) so 70% concentration might leave water stains on the material.

16. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Is it legal to re-sell your vehicle without the required warning labels?

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

See my post up thread. My research indicates it is legal but there might be a personal liability risk.

18. iffatall

iffatall Member

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I meant to ask how the alcohol is to be used, rather than what it was. :)

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

haha exactly what I was thinking

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

One option would be to buy a replacement one, if you sold the car, from Tesla and replace the treated one.