TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Rename Autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Reeler, Apr 3, 2019.

?

Is the current Autopilot feature misnamed?

Poll closed May 1, 2019.
  1. Yes, call it adaptive cruise with lane keeping instead of Autopilot

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Yes, call it traffic aware cruise control with lane keeping instead of Autopilot

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. No, these features called Autopilot is the most accurate term

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  4. No, Tesla can use whatever marketing double-speak they want

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. Yes, come up with a new term for it like Driver Assist, Highway Supercruise, etc.

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Reeler

Reeler Decade of Pure EV Driving

Autopilot now only has adaptive cruise and lane keeping. Summon, lane changes, parking, etc. are now gone with that being part of the Full Self Driving (FSD) package presumably with other assistive features. It seems to me that the Autopilot label is a farce now and Tesla should just call it what the rest of the industry does.

A great explanation of Autopilot appears here: Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia Noting that Tesla's web site still describes enhanced autopilot (EAP) in at least some of its marketing.

2. Reeler

Seems silly to call these two features autopilot. I guess a bunch of other car makers also have or will soon have autopilot too. In my opinion, Full Self Driving might properly be called Autopilot, but the lesser packages need another term. Maybe Driver Assist, Enhanced Driver Assist and Autopilot.

3. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

The current definition of autopilot for a Tesla is actually pretty analogous to the aviation definition. An airplane's autopilot keeps it at a certain bearing while correcting for roll and pitch.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. BPeter

BPeter Member

I agree with this, but the problem is that isn't what most people think Autopilot does. They think it's basically full self flying.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  5. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

It is the problem of lack of education/knowledge and that is not the problem of the terminology itself.

It's an easy way out to blame on the terminology and keep owners uneducated.

If owners don't want to learn a simple terminology, then buy an autonomous car, not an autopilot.

• Like x 2
  6. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

This is like saying people think buying cruise control will let them control Tom Cruise - nobody is actually that dumb and I don't respect any company that assumes its customers are morons. Stupid people are going to continue to be stupid no matter the name, and "Autopilot" worked fine as a name for Chrysler's '50s cars,and on airplanes 100 years ago too. Anyone that thinks fully automated vehicles have been around that long is automatically discarded as someone that should be listened to.

The name trolling of autopilot is just a poorly thought out attack on tesla, they aren't even the only company using the name and it's never been used to imply fully automated vehicular use, the only way a person could make that mistake is by watching a movie like AIRPLANE! and assuming that it was a documentary.

• Like x 1
  7. Reeler

Tesla has changed their usage of these terms: Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self-driving over the years, software versions and hardware versions so it is very difficult to actually figure out the underlying features any Tesla actually has. The build-sheets and window stickers are not that helpful when buying a used car. If you bought at the time of original purchase or upgraded to these features later it could mean different things. Here is a 10 page Wiki trying to explain it: Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

Of course, if they just used industry standard terms it would be easy. My AP1.0 Model S has lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. It will change lanes autonomously and autopark, but with that sensor package, you would be a fool to use those. If I told you my Model S had Autopilot, you have no idea what my car can do.

• Disagree x 2
  8. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

#8 Silicon Desert, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Well actually, a lot more than that. At least for my plane. "George" o_O
    Not sure where you got that "roll and pitch" thing. Maybe they did that decades ago. Airplane autopilots are quite sophisticated. :)

9. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

Got it from Wikipedia! Autopilot - Wikipedia I'm guessing they keep it quite simple for laypeople.

• Helpful x 1
  10. Silicon Desert

thanks. Yup, that thread could use some updating, but it is informative and fairly accurate.

• Like x 1
  11. The Duke

The Duke Member

After reading the whole thread and many others my question is:
    When will the inflatable Autopilot feature come out?
    AP should count for HOV, sign for tickets and wave at oncoming Teslas as well as drive.

• Funny x 2
  12. Silicon Desert

Tickets???? I guess you forgot about this new feature :rolleyes: :D:D:D

13. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

#13 Chaserr, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    If I told you my plane had Autopilot, you have no idea what my plane can do. Is my autopilot 113 years old? Is it "Full self flying" from the future? Autopilot has no meaning, it can be anything. You'd have to randomly guess if the autopilot was electronic or not, computer assisted or not, and so on and you'd still never get it if I told you which plane model I owned because they made them for 50 years.

Autopilot name trolling is just an anti-tesla attack script that shorts came up with and occasionally resurrect, and it's a monumentally dumb one that makes the people using it look like jerks because they're essentially saying "but other people are morons, I'm not, but they are and they think movies are real" - Either they think scifi is real, or they think other people are that dumb. And they're willing to say it out loud to other people as if it's the world's problem they think those things.