Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renamed Key Card Reverts to Original Name

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my 2019 Model 3 LR AWD last Saturday (demo car, sold as new). The 2 key cards I received were named P and Bob. When I edit the names in the lock screen and press Save, they change back to P and Bob after a few seconds. I’ve tried combinations of having the keys in the car and not when I rename, doing a reset, hard reset and it always reverts. Anyone else seen this? Software 2020.12.11.1 as of last night if that matters, but it was the same on 2020.8.3 before that.

Thanks,
David

Try to remove 1 key and add it back on instead of editing it. Do not remove both keys at the same time.

That worked! After I added the card back its name briefly flashed to "unknown card", then reverted back to P or Bob, but this time when I edited the name it stuck. I was a bit apprehensive to try this, thinking that maybe it wouldn't let me re-add the deleted card, but it worked perfectly, thank you so much.

That worked! After I added the card back its name briefly flashed to "unknown card", then reverted back to P or Bob, but this time when I edited the name it stuck. I was a bit apprehensive to try this, thinking that maybe it wouldn't let me re-add the deleted card, but it worked perfectly, thank you so much.

No worries, I'm glad it worked.

It still changes back to the original custom key name with me. I have tried so many things. Any other ideas out there?