Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

renault zoe???? another ugly ev....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, have fun with your cool inefficient trucks...

Full sized pickups in Europe are rarer than Ferraris as far as I could tell. But those little urban cargo vans were everywhere.

In my neighborhood, 1/2 the households have a full sized pickup. Sort of hard to tow horses or pickup hay with a Prius.

But note that the MPG on our large trucks continues to climb.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess the OP hasn't driven in Paris, France (NOT TEXAS).

Europeans drive smaller cars than we do. The streets can be very narrow, some were laid out before cars existed.

And there's no place to park.
I am from greece..i have been all around europe i know the drill. I just think many european cars are ugly. Italians make some small sports cars with nice lines-even the older fiat spyders are cool but to make these same fishbowl/golf cart looking cars over and over is just lame to me. They have designers no? Even bmw comes up with the silly looking i3 car when they have plenty of designers who can make a sportier version. oh...and rich people i know in europe like to not drive small fishbowl cars...they get driven around in sedans or have a sports car.

Reactions: OBX John
I am from greece..i have been all around europe i know the drill. I just think many european cars are ugly. Italians make some small sports cars with nice lines-even the older fiat spyders are cool but to make these same fishbowl/golf cart looking cars over and over is just lame to me. They have designers no? Even bmw comes up with the silly looking i3 car when they have plenty of designers who can make a sportier version. oh...and rich people i know in europe like to not drive small fishbowl cars...they get driven around in sedans or have a sports car.

Well on pure styling, I have to say it looks better than a Fiat 500, a Smart FourTwo, a Leaf, an i3, and a Prius.

Most small cars are not as fashion conscience as large cars. Why? To make a small car big inside, you have to compromise, to make a big car small inside you can make the body look like anything you like.

Reactions: MacGreiner and gene
guess i prefer convertibles or lower sporty type car.Back in Greece i have a large scooter and a classic fiat spyder i restored. I guess I was harsher then needed to be.I agree fiat 500 is very ugly and cheap looking and driving.How anyone can buy one is beyond me.I feel same about the mini too.

Strange then, that the Zoe is the most selling EV in Europe (at least I think it is).

Edit: It is: Europe EV Sales: 31% More Plug-Ins Sold In January 2017, Renault ZOE In Charge

Europe began 2017 with solid growth of plug-in electric car sales, up 31% year-over-year according to the EV Sales Blog report. In total, roughly 19,000 units were sold, which is not only the best January ever, but also one of the better months ever. Renault ZOE took an early lead with 2,602 sales (up 80 percent) after securing 1st place in 2016.

Last edited:
I don't think it's nearly as ugly as the BMW mutants, but there is something weird about that charge port up front. I like how Tesla keeps the electric aspects understated if not camouflaged.

The front charge port is a compromise location for cheap manufacturing in a world with left-hand drive and right-hand drive.

To me it's not at all weird or ugly for a subcompact, and in fact, I think it's smoother than many others.

Full sized pickups in Europe are rarer than Ferraris as far as I could tell. In my neighborhood, 1/2 the households have a full sized pickup.
Sort of hard to tow horses or pickup hay with a Prius.

Yeah, that's what the average American seems to do on a daily basis, whereas Europeans in general, well, don't.
God knows why ;)

Well, as soon as there is a good-looking, reliable and technically up-to-date car from a Greek manufacturer available, I will take a good long look at it.

Last edited:
Don't worry, most of us Europeans know that not every American is a redneck pickup driver.
We just love to hate the image, especially in light of the current (at least for however long he will last) POTUS, who seems to be the biggest redneck (or -face?) of them all.

Redneck means you work in the fields. Ignore every bit of New York / LA / SF slander you've ever heard. Most of those people who use the term are not very bright. Originally it was slang for sharecropper. Europe would call them serfs. Working in the fields gets you a very tanned neck.
Urbanites in America naturally assume that if you are born in a city, your brain is bigger. Oddly, that is not true. The fact they believe that shows their basic intelligence.

The teenager who invented television (Philo Farnsworth) was a poor farm boy. Henry Ford was born on a farm. In fact, many of the geniuses in the USA were raised on a farm. Why? You need better problem solving skills when there are fewer resources for assistance.

I was born in a city so I know very well how bright 'urbanites' and 'intellectuals' are in cities. Unsupported hubris is a typical trait.

BTW - Donald Trump is neither a farmboy or a genius. But apparently he was better than everybody else at winning the election for US President. It's a very prestigious occupation, but actually a step down the food chain for him. There are lots of people with more real power than the US President. Our Constitution was designed that way. The President probably had more power BEFORE the election than he does now. That's probably why the US never tried to take over the world. You normally need a dictator, king/queen, emperor, etc, to do that.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
BTW - Donald Trump is neither a farmboy or a genius. But apparently he was better than everybody else at winning the election for US President. It's a very prestigious occupation, but actually a step down the food chain for him. There are lots of people with more real power than the US President. Our Constitution was designed that way. The President probably had more power BEFORE the election than he does now.

Someone should have told him that, I guess he still hasn't realized it yet. ;)

And as for rednecks, I did know the meaning, even though over here, the term is generally used synonymously with "hicks", or "hillbillies", in other words backward folks of little intellect - the stereotypical Southerner comes to mind, in no small part fostered by the image of such people in films and/or TV shows. Prime examples are "Moonshiners" and "Street Outlaws". Or remember the infamous Top Gear Episode where Clarkson, Hammond and May made their roadtrip through several southern states?
Granted, reality certainly is different, but stereotypes are just so convenient, aren't they? I know what I am talking about. After all, I live in Bavaria, where all the inhabitants, indeed all Germans, are constantly wearing Dirndl / Lederhosen, drinking beer and yodeling while enjoying their Bratwurst and Sauerkraut :rolleyes:

... stereotypes are just so convenient, aren't they? I know what I am talking about. After all, I live in Bavaria, where all the inhabitants, indeed all Germans, are constantly wearing Dirndl / Lederhosen, drinking beer and yodeling while enjoying their Bratwurst and Sauerkraut :rolleyes:

No, to mimic the insult redneck is to those who are raised in rural communities or farms I'd call you a no-good gypsy. Does that make more sense? Most folk in the US don't even know that's an insult in Europe.

No, to mimic the insult redneck is to those who are raised in rural communities or farms I'd call you a no-good gypsy. Does that make more sense? Most folk in the US don't even know that's an insult in Europe.

Wait, even I didn't know that that's an insult here. Haven't even heard the term yet to be honest.
The correct translation for redneck over here would be "Hinterwäldler" (literally meaning "living in the back of the woods"). I am actually proud to have been born and raised in a rural part of the country, even though some "cultured" city types still call my hometown as being "hinter den sieben Bergen, bei den sieben Zwergen" (a quote from "Snow White and the seven dwarfs"), meaning far removed from "civilization". ;)

Who cares how it looks.... I just want to know how many damn cupholders it has?

The Zoe was actually the first BEV that I ever test-drove. But the one thing I didn't pay attention to was cupholders, as I never drink in a car. Couldn't care less about cupholders. Actually don't know anyone who does. Perhaps that's one reason why many European manufacturers don't seem to care about them either, at least in the past.

Well, the new Zoe is a big hit in Europe. And Renault is doing some things that even Tesla can learn from. For example now that the new 41KWh battery is out, they will offer existing owners and leasers an upgrade from their 22KWh battery. It will not be cheap but at least it will be available.