Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault Zoe ZE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting tidbit ... how powerfull is this free charger?

I was somewhat loose with the term charger but what I was referring to were 2 distinct 'chargers'

a; onboard Chameleon charger, The ZOE has an onboard charger that works up to 43kW, effectively it reuses incar components to emulate a $15,000 external battery charger. This is ZOE's big feature, The car contains a charger which alone costs more than the car! For faster charging, other cars require a DC input which requires an expensive external DC battery charger.

b; Free 7kw external wall box in UK http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/zoe/63185/renault-zoe-buyers-get-free-quick-charge

Renault expects 22kw charging to be the ZOE's sweet spot, ie 1 hour for full charge (to 80% / 90%)
cost for wall box is not much.

Last edited:
First few days with the Renault Zoë

Took delivery of our Zoë last week. It is one of the first to be delivered in The Netherlands since renault is keeping most of the production in France to maximize the use of the french tax refund this year.
I serves as our second car, awaiting the models s to replace our primary car this summer.
I must agree with previous testers that the range is not what I hoped, but that goes mainly for highway use. This car is clearly not intended for highway driving. It can comfortably handle speeds up to 130kph but that will decrease range to someting like 100kms. In the city however my experience in the last few days is that the range is much more than the stated 118kms at full charge. At speeds of max 60kph my range seems to be over 170kms and that is without cycling the battery.
It is a joy to drive. I get a lot of looks driving it around town here. We have the blanc nacre intense version. The blue lights give it a futuristic look, but in a subtle way. The blue is not visible when the lights are on. Inner headroom is great ( i am 194, +/-6ft4) and no problems at all, not even in the back!
The tomtom systems works fine. Software is a bit slow, and definitely not yet free from bugs, but i have faith this will be resolved.
Handling is fine. Solid cornering, and ample breakpower. Powerfull accelleration from 0, but losing oompf at about 60kph.
I love the cameleon charger. Charging at 22kw is fast, especially the first 50%. At 43kw it is excitingly fast. (Nearly full charge in twenty minutes!)
It beats me though why renault changed their minds about the emergency single fase 16a schuko cable. In contrary to earlier reports they no longer seem to want you to use this cable. It is however still in the owners manual ( which is a paper version only, which is rather anachronismal for such a vehicle).
Still, this would be handy to top the car off at friends or other places that do not have 3fase type 2 connectors.
You want your car to be versatile right? These cables can be purchased elsewhere, and I would recommend one for backup. They work like teslas universal mobile connector.

To summarize our first few days:
A wonderful little beast of a car and great as a second car. We use it to do practically everything from dropping off the kids at school, to commuting to work and running errands. The silence and agility are wonderful! For us this car is a no-brainer at a third to quarter of the price of the model s. For highway driving we however anxiously await the model s...

Last edited:
Today I was able to drive the Zoe for the very first time. It was by coincidence and I had no time and the car was only 50 % charged. The sale persons did not know anything about it as it just had arrived. But they allowed me to drive and they were astonished how it worked.
I made about 10 Km only in ECO mode. The acceleration is not like a Tesla, but it is a powerful little car!
It looks pretty and it looks solid.
The recuperation ( with brakes, too ) works nice!
Very promising first drive. I will return with my wife for a real drive and then decide whether I will buy it!

Just spotted a ZOE (White) on the highway (A17) here in the Netherlands.

I was driving the Roadster while it merged on the highway next to me. The driver recognized the Roadster and smiled, just like I smiled because I saw my first ZOE in the wild.

Nifty little car!

Today I was able to drive the Zoe for the very first time. It was by coincidence and I had no time and the car was only 50 % charged. The sale persons did not know anything about it as it just had arrived. But they allowed me to drive and they were astonished how it worked.
I made about 10 Km only in ECO mode. The acceleration is not like a Tesla, but it is a powerful little car!
It looks pretty and it looks solid.
The recuperation ( with brakes, too ) works nice!
Very promising first drive. I will return with my wife for a real drive and then decide whether I will buy it!

Generally agree with your points. I think my expectations were a little too high for the car which meant I was underwhelmed on the day.
1. I expected the 0-100 in 8s as originally announced, not the 12s it delivers
2. the range was supposed to be 200km but you really need to go gently to get that.
3. It looks great, but it quickly blends in like many other cars on the road and looks a lot like a Clio or even a Toyota Auris.
4. It was a warm (not hot) day here in Madrid when we tested it and we couldn't get a decent flow of cool air despite really trying. Made the Roadster air con look good!

The price is essentially €20k if you go for a nicely presented model. Its more than I'd expected, but frankly its still a great price even including the battery rental fee.

The truth is that it is very nice and spacious inside, the boot/trunk is excellent, and it is a very comfortable car in general. Solid, credible, and integrated in the Renault styling range (unlike the BMW i3).

I thought white was the best color until I saw it "in the flesh"... Black is far and away the nicer car in my mind now. Black with the black wheels and black interior looks fantastic. However in a Black Zoe on a hot day, and given the lame air con, you are going to suffer!

I love the electric circuit motif embossed on the roof and on the headrests and dash. Just the right touch of e-future styling. I find French cars really well styled these days frankly.

BUT, forcing people to have 3-phase at home is INSANE and all buyers will definitely want a 16A single phase adapter from day-one. Getting a 16A power outlet near a parking bay in Spain is hard enough.

And finally, given the choice I prefer driving the Fluence. It feels nicer, faster, quieter, and solider. If it had the battery in the floor instead of using boot/trunk space, Fluence would be hands-down the better car.

I'm in Paris for a few days so I went to the Renault showroom on Champs-Elysées (THE street in Paris) to watch the ZOE.

The chart next to the ZOE gave some cool information:
* NEDC range: 210km
* Expected range: 150km
* Cold weather: 100km

So they are very honest about what the car and can't do.

Other interesting fact, the ZOE is just EUR 13.000 in France with a 7k tax incentive.

I still like the ZOE very much, could become my second car (with Model S the first one).

I had a test-drive with a (black) Zoe today. I will write a thorough review/comparison after my Model S test drive in September, but suffice it to say, I think for now it is quite a good offering, and fun to drive in the city / around town & country. Not really a highway car, but I knew that before.
Was quite warm today, but the air-con was great. Only in Eco-Mode the air-con seemed to adapt as well and gave less cooling.

Finally I have made the decision and have ordered a Zoe.
I still find the seats are not very comfortable, but I have got to know the crohm box which lets you charge it with 220 V 10 A, too.
My car should be delivered in two weeks ( it was allready ordered by a dealer ), it is the model Intens bleu Energy

The charging efficiency at 10A drops to 50%... I strongly recommed you to charge over 16A.

It seems that it is however better then that, but when I get it I will experiment. Yes, I have the possibility to charge it with 16 A at home and at work, but when at the country side at my parents in law, there is no more then 10A. So this was essential to be able to get there and back.