Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renault Zoe ZE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, does anyone have definitive performance figures for the Renault Zoe? I have heard 0-60mph in 8 seconds thown around, but this sounds a bit optimistic to me. Does anyone know the 0-37mph figure also? (the Renault guys seem to know nothing which worries me)

Also, I will rarely need 4 seats, and my daily commute is around 25 miles, so I'm questioning if I should even be holding out for the Zoe... Would love to hear if anyone has anyone had any thoughts on this.

I think a journalist mixed up 0-60 km/h with 0-60 mph in 8 seconds and the rest just copied. I have certainly seen the km/h figure in French literature. I've also seen 0-100 km/h in 13 seconds.

Regarding the Smart, I know someone that was on the trial of the previous one last year, has a 50 mile commute and he said he will definitely be getting the new one.

0-100 km/h

Nissan Leaf, official 11,9 sec, real 10 sec
Kangoo ZE, official 20,3 sec, real 17 sec Renault KANGOO Z.E. (Electric Car) 0-100 km/h in 17 sek. TopSpeed 130 km/h - YouTube
Fluence ZE, official 13,7 sec, real 11,7 sec 0-100 kmh Renault Fluence ZE acceleration - YouTube

ZOE, oficial 13,5 sec, real ¿11,x sec?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know at what minimum value the onboard charger has a good efficiency. But if my calculation are right, the efficiency at 2kW was 50%, so it taking 20h to charge the 22kWh battery. This is all guestimation, there has been no official communication from Renault, not even on the delayed delivery.
Here's an article (in French) discussing the cable issue :
Renault Zoé - En panne de prise - Actualités - L'Automobile Magazine

I can´t believe that the efficiency at 2kW is 50%. I think Renaut want to sell Schneider Wallbox in France and that is the reason for these rumors.

I can´t believe that the efficiency at 2kW is 50%. I think Renaut want to sell Schneider Wallbox in France and that is the reason for these rumors.

Maybe not 50%, but close to it. If you remember, our forum mate from Spain, Ritxi (who has a Fluence Z.E.) posted their energy comsuption, both from the on board computer of the car and from the grid. The results differ a lot when rechargig at 10 A or 16 A:

Consumos Fluence

Junio y Julio: 3096 km y recarga con EVSE opcional 10A
* Consumo ordenador coche: 449 kWh, consumo medio 14,5 kWh/100 km, coste 1,30 €/100 km
* Consumo de la red: 656 kWh, consumo medio real 21,2 kWh/100 km, coste real 1,91 €/100 km
* Eficiencia recarga: 69%

Septiembre y Octubre: 2677 km, recarga con wallbox Circutor 16A
* Consumo ordenador coche: 419 kWh, consumo medio 15,6 kWh/100 km, coste 1,40 €/100 km
* Consumo de la red: 492 kWh, consumo medio real 18,4 kWh/100 km, coste real 1,65 €/100 km
* Eficiencia recarga: 85%

Noviembre: 1837 km
* Consumo ordenador coche: 314 kWh, consumo medio 17,1 kWh/100 km, coste: 1,53 €/100 km
* Consumo de la red: 360 kWh, consumo medio real 19,6 kWh/100 km, coste real: 1,76 €/100 km
* Eficiencia recarga: 87%

Shifting from 10 A to 16 A rises the efficence up from 69% to 87%. The key factor is the battery cooling system: It's turned on during the whole charge, so the faster it is, the less it consums.

Se debe al sistema de refrigeración de la batería. Cuando la tª es superior a 23ºC o la batería está templada porque has utilizado el coche unas horas antes, se pone en marcha el sistema consumiendo 1 kWh/h de media.

Si estás cargando a poco más de 2 kW la eficiencia se queda en un tristisimo 50% y la recarga se puede alargar hasta 24 horas. Si recargas a 3,3 kW la eficiencia sube por encima del 65%.

Off to Knockhill Racing Circuit to support the Scottish Transport Minister Keith Brown launch Scotland's charging network. He wanted a Tesla for "something sexy" to be photographed with - gotta love him!

ZOE relevance: Renault are bringing one to the launch and I may get to ride or drive! Hoping so!

So yesterday I took a Renault Zoe for a test drive in order to see whether it was suitable for our company fleet. The criteria was that we need something to do the 99.1 miles from Portsmouth to Stevenage where our two main sites are located. The dealer let a colleague and I take it by ourselves.

When we picked the car up it had 75 miles and a full charge. I asked the dealer whether the last driver was caning it but didn't get a straight answer. It was our intention to take it the 15 miles up to Petersfield and back again. I drove out and he drove back.

I wanted to give it a fair run, but also to be mindful that if we get the cars they will be driven by EV novices. So I set the cruise control to 70 mph on the A3 and while I didn't drive it like a boy racer, we weren't hypermiling either.

BKt3uY-CUAA_tFK.jpg

My first impressions were that it had no acceleration at all, but then I realised that Eco mode was on. So we cancelled that before getting on the main road and things improved marginally. However, for all the talk that this car was geared for 0-40 mph acceleration, I was still disappointed by the slow speed acceleration. The Leaf and Ampera are much more responsive.

On the motorway and A3 you really have to plan ahead to execute an overtaking move. In many ways it reminded me of my first car, a Renault 5. I could live with that for an occasional trip, but it seems like my colleague (who was a Prius driver) couldn't. And I know he wanted to like it as he and several others had they eye on it for a personal purchase too.

Anyway, we arrived at the changeover - after 15 miles - with 50 miles remaining. Not good. By the time we got back to Portsmouth it was clear that our total range would have been about 65 miles and this was on a pretty nice day for EV range.

Overall, I was very disappointed. I'm sure it will make a great urban runaround and it is not without its charms, but in reality it will not outdo the Leaf for range. I guess the only chance of a fleet EV now is if I can convince them to get a Model S. It's just a shame that all the guys at work that were holding out to try this may have missed the Leaf £125 deals.

Just last week, one of the sales guys at this dealer was trying to convince me that the Zoe "will easily do 130, possibly 150 miles". I knew at the time that this was BS, but to be misleading customers by a factor of 2 is really not clever.

BKxYhvvCEAAR9co.jpg

By the way, this trip did not take 8 minutes! The software needs work.

Were you after 100miles return or 1 way?

The point of the Renault ZOE is that it has an onboard charger all the way to 43kW.
Can you have a charger at both ends of the trip? The ZOE comes with 1 free charger install, all you need is to duplicate it at the other end (other EVs don't come with free charger install anyway)