TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Renewed interest in the Roadster, but....

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by NigelM, Aug 10, 2017.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Maybe just me but I seem to be experiencing a lot more folks asking me about the Roadster, especially since Model 3 started to feature more prominently in the news and particularly in the last 2 weeks. Lots of people asking "Is that a Tesla?" and being very complimentary, kinda takes me back a few years to when I first got her.

But also in the last two weeks I've had the exact same exchange three times with different folks, each time along these lines:

"Is that the new Tesla?"
    "No, it's the original one"
    "Beautiful. What's it called?"
    "It's just called a Tesla Roadster"
    "Before the S and the X??"
    "Yes, going on 7 years old now"
    "Roadster, S then X....So why is the new one Model 3 and not Model 4?"

2. gregd

gregd Active Member

Elon's answer to the last question has been that it was originally called the Model E, but that Ford already claimed the name (and threatened to sue), so they killed SEX. (Or, words to that effect...) He's apologized for the model naming / numbering confusion.

I've had similar questions on a pretty steady rate over the past 2 1/2 years that I've owned the car. Also the craned necks of other drivers, and the random cell phone pictures. Smile and wave. Never gets old.

3. snd92

snd92 Member

In one way Tesla Roadster is Tesla Model R, because they denote the 3.0 upgrade as R80...

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Zero based.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Not nearly as confusing as Ford's Model A coming after its Model T. :)

6. ViviV

ViviV Member

Thumbs up! Love it and glad I can capture with Blackvue. Interestingly, I find that most Model S drivers don't seem to notice the Roadster or at least they don't wave or acknowledge me, I was thinking it may be because they may not recognize the Roadster as a Tesla since most have never seen one in person.
    upload_2017-8-10_17-30-31.jpeg

7. gregd

gregd Active Member

I get less than 50% recognition from other Tesla owners, depending on how visible I am with traffic. One kind of freaked me out, momentarily. I was coming home after TMC Connect this year and a car coming towards me started flashing their lights. Short bit of panic - what was wrong??? - until I realized it was a Model S saying Hi!

If you're reading this, whoever you are... Hi back!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Long answer

I recall Elon referred to the X as 'master plan 2.5'. Same platform.

So, roadster is #1, S and X are #2, then 3 and Y are #3.

Short answer

Elon wanted SEXY, but couldn't get it so he made do with S3XY.

• Like x 1
  9. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Unless Ford was being NSFW with their T and A. :p

• Funny x 1
  10. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Interesting trivia: Ford actually made a Model A in 1903 before the Model T. Try revived the letter for the 1928 model year.

My dad has two A's and a T, and I think I've got him talked into an X. Over got the Roadster and a reservation for the 3. We may have to borrow an S and spell out T3SLA with the cars. I wonder if we could come up with some additional words.

11. gregd

gregd Active Member

I can't think of any two cars more different than a Model T and a Model X. Wow.

12. strider

strider Active Member

S&X are the same car, just different bodies. Just like 3&Y will be the same car, just different bodies.

13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

No they aren't. X was originally supposed to borrow a lot of the platform from the S, but Elon went feature crazy and forced the engineers to barely use any of the Model S platform. This is why the X was so late and had so many initial production problems. He was going to make EXACTLY the same mistake with the upcoming cross over model Y (ie. not re-use much of the Model 3 platform), but this time, his management team got enough balls together to read him the riot act. He acknowledged this (not quite so colorfully) in the last 2Q conference call. Y will now indeed re-use much of the same platform as Model 3. Unless Elon sticks his fingers into the pie again (which is likely, actually).