TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Reno to Las Vegas trip - cutting it close each time

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Zeromus-X, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:33 PM.

Tags:
  1. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Planning a trip from Reno to Vegas in my S75 -- my 100% is around 230 miles. According to EVTripPlanner I'd only need to make one single stop on this 8+ hour trip, and that's in Lone Pine at the Film History Museum (259 miles but only 196 rated). Then, going south and east through Death Valley, I don't need to charge at all to reach Las Vegas (239 miles but again only 196 rated).

I'm running with a speed multiplier of 1.1, and I know that particular route is going to be quite weather-dependent. But it's also a lot of mountain roads. Has anyone else taken this trip recently who can comment on the estimated performance versus reality? I have to imagine there are least a few significant uphill portions that are going to be taxing on the battery...

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  2. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Never drove this route in a tesla but have gone from San Francisco to Las Vegas through Death Valley before. I had also cut it pretty close with estimated negative miles to a charger. If the weather is not extremely cold or hot, say between 55-80F, you can really stretch the range by going a bit slower. I would suggest driving near the speed limit for the start of the trip to see how range keeps up and then speed up when you build up a buffer.

3. gsteele

gsteele Member

I don't think I believe the Lone Pine to Vegas chunk. From the floor of Death Valley to Beatty is uphill, and from Beatty to Las Vegas the traffic moves fast. I think I'd definitely stop for at least a few minutes in Beatty so that you don't need to be a road boulder on the way to Las Vegas.

4. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

I like that I drive past a Supercharger on each leg of the journey. I'll be with family and would like to minimize stops, but I guess I'll have to see how the car judges it. There are shorter ways to get there, but this way hits a few locations I want to see along the way, provided there's no snow blocking any of the mountain roads.