Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rent an X before I buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to rent a Tesla X for a one week road trip before I actually commit to buying one / any recommendations for renting one on the Central Coast (San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara/Ventura) or even the LA area (as long as there is secured parking for my car).

First you should check Turo.com as there are private owners who will rent their car. That is a good way to really get more intimate with the car, though be careful of the mileage limits. And of course make sure to find out if the vehicle you rent has AutoPilot (and if so, V1 versus V2).

Beyond that, you may be able to get an extended test drive from a local store, but that will depend on the specific store and what they have and how long they can be without. My local store allows overnight on occasion, but not a week long road trip or anything quite that extensive. Good luck!

I too would have to point towards Turo. There are a few companies renting Tesla there but they want 2-4 time the price as Turo renters are going for. Sadly we at GSD Rides are Boston based and don't service west coast currently. Good luck with your searches.
If you are ever in the New England or Maui Hawaii are looking to rent a Tesla or Exotic car looks us up.
www.GSDRides.com

And lastly, don't forget to inquire about Tesla's overnight test drive program for an X or an S. All you need is a valid driver's license. Granted it is not a week. But you can learn a lot about the car in 24 hours + reading these forums. Can't beat the price. No charge. So glad I did.

And of course make sure to find out if the vehicle you rent has AutoPilot (and if so, V1 versus V2).
Very sound advice. And make sure you understand that EAP (Enhanced Autopilot, or "V2") is not fully released in terms of software so it lacks some capabilities that AP (V1) has, but in the long run it will be much more capable.

Reactions: arijaycomet