Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rent me your ChadeMo Adapter - in CH or KC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning my first long road trip from CH to KC over Memorial Day and am becoming a bit concerned about the lack of SC along the way, as well as in KC - but, surprisingly, KC has several Chademo stations. I don't really want to drop $450 on something I suspect I'll only use on this trip -- so, if you have a Chademo adapter, aren't using it next week, and would like to pick up a few bucks -- let me know.

I'm planning my first long road trip from CH to KC over Memorial Day and am becoming a bit concerned about the lack of SC along the way, as well as in KC - but, surprisingly, KC has several Chademo stations.<snip>

Chicago to Kansas City ... and you're concerned about the lack of superchargers? What vehicle do you have and what is the max range?

It looks like even a 60D can make the trip. There's even a supercharger just 18 miles from downtown Kansas City. I don't know how much more ideal that is. FYI, it's the same distance and time if you go over to Des Moines, IA and down but then you don't pass the supercharger by Kansas City.

upload_2018-5-15_9-21-10.png

I should have been more clear - the Chademo is primarily for use in KC. My location in KC has no charging other than 110 and the SC is about 40 minutes way - yet there are 3 Chademo points within 5 minutes of where I am staying. So, having a Chademo adapter will make the several days in KC much easier.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I should have been more clear - the Chademo is primarily for use in KC. My location in KC has no charging other than 110 and the SC is about 40 minutes way - yet there are 3 Chademo points within 5 minutes of where I am staying. So, having a Chademo adapter will make the several days in KC much easier.

I'm still not sure I understand how you are thinking that Kansas City has no charging other than the 120v at your location. IF you charge up to, say, 250 miles at the Independence supercharger, then drive 40 minutes to Kansas City, you should still have at least 200 miles of range for the entire stay (for the week?).

120v at for 12 hrs at night should get ~36 miles of range. You are starting with 200 miles arriving in KC, drive 50 miles that day let's say so down to 150 miles the first night. Add 36 miles minimum and have 186 miles starting Day 2. Drive another 50 miles and end with 136 miles on Day 2. Add 35 miles at night and start Day 3 with 172 miles of range.

Using 50 miles and adding 36 miles is a net loss of only 14 miles per day. I'm not sure what your schedule or plans are but 7 days in KC at -14 miles per day is ~100 miles and let's assume -10 miles per day for Vampire loss or another 70 miles lost. That's ~170 miles lost while in KC while using just 120v charging for 12 hrs at night. Arrive with 200 miles in KC and though shouldn't need to hit a CHAdeMO but perhaps I don't know the whole story.

So unless you are driving 100 miles a day, I don't see how you would need a CHAdeMO charger for even a week in KC when there are a plethora of Public chargers (map below is free J1772 charging) which might not be ideal I understand. Maybe hit lunch at a nearby Brewery that has a charger and get 20-30 miles of range would help? You could pay for a lot of lunches there for the $450 cost of a one-time use CHAdeMO adapter (if you can't borrow one).

upload_2018-5-15_10-41-26.png

I agree with everything Darren said. Having a 120V outlet to plug into where you are staying is no small thing! It's generally good enough for city driving. In fact, it's all I have at home (I live in an apartment so wasn't easy to install anything) and it works pretty well for me. The other thing about plugging into a 120V overnight is that it eliminates the vampire drain on the battery, so the net gain is quite a bit more than the 3.5 rated miles per hour that I get with it.

I think the key here is to take the route that brings you through Independence, MO and charge to near full at that supercharger. It will seem annoying to wait that long at the time, but it will be worth it later in the trip as your charge will last you quite a while.

I'm north of KC, Liberty Mo. what part of KC are you staying?, and it maybe a real good I deal to buy a J1772, LIke I said your welcome to use my plug at my business if that will help, chargers at 26mi/hr, don't need adapter

Thanks very much for the offer - but I'm going to be around Stateline and 119th so you are a bit further than the Independence SC so I suspect I won't take you up on it.

For the other posters who took the extensive time and effort to detail all the various ways I could alter my family's vacation and our eating, drinking, and driving habits in an effort to obtain or conserve energy, thanks very much. I'm aware of all of these factors but much prefer to drive my Tesla similarly to an ICE and not have to overthink my energy usage.

So, bottom line, still looking for a ChadEMo to rent.

For the other posters who took the extensive time and effort to detail all the various ways I could alter my family's vacation and our eating, drinking, and driving habits in an effort to obtain or conserve energy, thanks very much. I'm aware of all of these factors but much prefer to drive my Tesla similarly to an ICE and not have to overthink my energy usage.
Either way you are altering your vacation. Welcome to the joys of EV driving. I actually think your plan of a) starting this thread, b) meeting someone to rent a Chademo adapter, c) sporadically driving somewhere to plug in at a public Chademo charger is far more time consuming than what Darren and I were suggesting, which is basically a) slightly alter your route and charge to near full at Independence and b) plug in to your 120V each night. The latter adds a couple minutes over the course of your trip and the former might add a half hour or so.

When I go to KC, I charge (previously at 110 and now at 220) in my son's garage. I visit places (like the Tesla store and restaurants near there) where there is a CHAdeMO (maybe a block from the Tesla store) and get filled while eating. There are many ways to do it, and have a great trip to KC!

Reactions: JohnnyG
I'm back and did not need the Chademo - but many thanks to 75ShappyT and leanne for the offer. As several of you noted above, the 110 worked better than expected and the Level 2 network in KC is really spectacular - chargers everywhere.

So, my apologies for letting my range anxiety get the better of me -- you guys were correct - very little altering of plans was necessary to maintain a decent charge despite pretty heavy driving while in KC.

Thanks again.

It is good to relax, at least some of the time, about range anxiety. It is also important to "be very careful out there" when traveling outside your home area. We are in Kalispell at Glacier National Park, and took a trip up to Fernie, British Columbia today. I have and 85D with about 260 miles of range. I checked and found a free level 2 charger in Ferniie at the City Hall. I had a back up fast charger (CHAdeMO) on the way up and back, about ten/fifteen miles away from Fernie. Because I stayed under the speed limit, watched my usage, and loved looking at the mountains, we made it there using less than half of our energy. I would have liked to have charged at the City Hall Level 2, but a Volt was there. Another Volt owner stopped and was friendly and told me where I could find the Volt charging owner (just across the street, working) if I wanted to ask to use the charger. I decided not to because I had over half a charge and was going right back where I came from after lunch. I, again, drove in a leisurely fashion back, with 4% charge left. The car had said all along that we would have 5% left, and it was off by a couple blocks. I have learned to trust that percent figure, more so towards the end (because earlier on it is being conservative and working hard to make sure you don't run out). I did not like that I had yet to go five miles up the mountain to get to the B&B with low percentage left. But it work nearly perfectly. Had I charged during lunch, I would have had extra. Had I gone to the fast charger slightly off my path, I would have had extra energy. I had a backup also in mind, a destination charger at a hotel ten miles from home if I needed it, but I am experience driving my Model S and I trusted what it told me. So be careful out there (when in new areas, away from home and superchargers, in terrible weather) and watch out for the other guy.