TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rental Model S out/in SFO?

Discussion in 'California' started by hiroshiy, Aug 12, 2013.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Hi, I'm still waiting for Model S delivery in Tokyo which will be in winter for LHD sig. At the end of September I have a plan to visit Bay Area for biz trip and am thinking it would be nice and fun to rent a Model S!
    I found some airbnb-type personal renting but as I'm not an American I don't think the owners are willing to rent.
    It seems Hertz has the exotic car collection (is a Tesla exotic?) but I haven't gotten their response yet.

Have anybody experienced Hertz Tesla Model S service? Is there any other rental companies operate from SFO that have Model S? I found some info on Enterprise offering one but I couldn't find it on their web site.

2. ilg

ilg Some guy on the Internet.

I don't know about renting a Model S, but if I were you, I'd contact Tesla. Since you're a reservation holder, maybe they'd be willing to loan you one. Can't hurt to ask.

3. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

When I had my accident and had to drive an ICE for a month, I looked and looked for a rental but couldn't find one reasonably priced.

The only ones I found in the SFO area were $600-$700 per day.

Enterprise in LA rents for $300 a day but they don't have the Model S in their SFO fleet yet.

4. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

Given that they don't have service loaners in the Bay Area most of the time, I doubt they'd have any spare cars.

I'm sure you could get a test drive if you just go to any of the stores, but I suspect a rental will be difficult.

5. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

@ilg and @Banahogg: thanks for the suggestion. Will try asking them tomorrow.

@GasDoc: yeah I read your story in the other thread; I'm sorry whst happened to you but am glad you and your family were ok and got your Model S again.
    Per website Hertz should have one in SFO- perhaps they are not replying me because I wrote "pls don't call me - email me instead" :)
    Will try Enterprise too. Thanks for additional info!

6. jammerdjc

jammerdjc S Owner/Member

I talked to someone at the Menlo Park coffee meet that had used one of the crowd sourcing tools to find someone who rented their MS out. I don't remember which one, but this is one of those where private owners rent out their vehicle. Look around and you may find it also.

7. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Hi, @jammerdjc:
    Thanks for your suggestion. Actually I'm not American and I don't have U.S. address; that's why I thought some "personal" MS owners don't want to rent me his/her MS. The site "Getaround" provides P2P referral service for personally owned cars (works like airbnb) and actually I found two owners there. I'll stick to Rental Car Company route for now...
    Emailed Enterprise too. Not sure they now have one at SFO or still LAX only.

8. lloyds

lloyds Member

You are right. From a fellow MS owner's perspective, this is too expensive / risky of a personal item to rent out.

9. jammerdjc

jammerdjc S Owner/Member

I am with you. I get nerves even when my wife drives it (and she's a good driver)! I was rather shocked to hear that there were cars available (I think it was Getaround he mentioned). I think he said there were a few.

10. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Since you're already about to own a Model S, why not try driving another EV to compare. One of the best things about living/visiting California is the number of choices one has for EVs. ALL the Compliance cars are here. The only "regular" manufacturer EV that you can't get are the Renault brands.

I don't know about SFO, but in visiting NYC, I've had rentals for Nissan Leaf and Smart ED (1st or 2nd Gen, couldn't tell, it was before the 3rd gen was released, so I am certain it is one of these two generations.)

In SFO, BMW and Sixt has a joint venture called DriveNow that rents BMW Active Es...

You've already discussed getaround...

Dennis
    AE for Active E, which is my ride and we're looking to take delivery on Roadster #78 this coming week and delayed our Model S until November 2013.

11. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

Hi, AEdennis,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'd like to get around and will quickly empty Leaf's battery!

Finally, Enterprise replied and they requested me to reserve a car on the web site :) Their site asks me to send email via form.

Hertz did, with some push from Japanese customer service, reply my email and I was able to rent a Model S! So email worked best.
    The rate is $375 per day for one week. Interesting biz trip.