Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rental Reimbursement for Car Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean reimbursment of Uber cost to get to pickup (why would you need a rental car to get to your car pickup instead of rideshare like uber / lift)?

The new delivery qualification is 220 miles from nearest store. My nearest store is 198 miles so pretty damn far. I’ve seen some people say they’ve gotten a one way rental reimbursed and even some say a hotel on the forums. Looks for guidance.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I was comp'ed by Tesla a one way Enterprise rental and $150 hotel to travel about 250 miles to my closest delivery site. This was mid-Dec, about 3weeks ago, as the EOY craze was beginning to heat up. No idea if they would do it now... OTOH they get $1250 for a destination fee and do make home deliveries so the budget is there and a one-way rental is going to be much cheaper than a home delivery for them, so...

Reactions: TOPSCRT
Hmmm... I'm going to start requesting reimbursement from my grocery store, they gotta pay me for coming to pick up the groceries, right? Shorter distance, smaller prices, but the principle should apply the same, am I wrong?
/s
yes
- as with most transactions, its all a negotiation/balance. e.g. recently Amazon announced that grocery deliveries would be free to all Prime members. How does that factor into your world view?
- I buy a lot of things on the Internet/ebay which have "free shipping", longer distances, bigger and smaller prices, but the principle should apply the same, am I wrong?
- as reiterated above, Tesla GETS $1250 for deliveries by law -- obviously nothing about the costs for delivery are truly free, its all in the mix. In this case, the balance sheet start with Tesla getting $1250. From that Tesla has all sorts of delivery costs -- hopefully the $1250 covers it with some to spare -- it seems likely in MOST cases. If not, well that's "just the cost of doing business". Satisfying customers in states without stores is certainly a problem, for example, but its worth it for Tesla to make some accommodations in most cases. Home delivery is a common accommodation -- and clearly it costs a lot more than $150-200 for a one-way rental and even hotel, so why shouldn't Tesla allow that in lieu of home delivery.

Now Tesla also appears to be accommodating customers who missed the EOY fed tax credit due to Tesla's fault. That's $1700-1850. And you are wondering about a $200 accommodation? on a $50K+ transaction? that's less than 0.5%, its a rounding error, to make a customer happy and help make the sale? that's less than 50 cents on your $100 groceries...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: trace and TOPSCRT