Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rented A Model X - GPS Location Stuck at Tesla HQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster here; please let me know if I'm tagging or posting incorrectly for the forums.

Today, I rented a Model X for use over the weekend. I've driven one before, as well as a Model 3, and am relatively familiar with the UI (albeit not as much as regular owners, but quite a fanatic on this end). Upon pick-up, I noticed that the navigation was showing my "current location" (the red GPS arrow) at Tesla HQ in Northern California. However, the lower text did correct list my current street and city. Regardless of where I drive, the red GPS arrow does not update.

Upon arriving home, I tried the scroll wheel reset, though the issue persists. Since it's not my vehicle, I do not plan to address the issue much further than a basic software approach, if anyone has one. Has this been experienced by anyone else? I find it odd that the navigation knows my current street/city and can list it on-screen, but the GPS location continues to list Tesla HQ (and therefore, navigation does not work as it keeps believing I'm in Northern California).

Thanks!

I've seen posts about this, and a reboot sometimes fixes it, and other times the Service Center needs to get involved. I'd just let them know about it when you return it, since you only have the car for a couple of days. You could try turning the car off totally, but since you don't have the app or other access to it, probably not worth it.

I've seen posts about this, and a reboot sometimes fixes it, and other times the Service Center needs to get involved. I'd just let them know about it when you return it, since you only have the car for a couple of days. You could try turning the car off totally, but since you don't have the app or other access to it, probably not worth it.

Agreed, thank you. Would have been fun to take advantage of the maps/GPS, but the iPhone offers plenty of navigation alternatives. Just to elaborate, though, when you say turning the car off "totally," what do you imply by that?

Agreed, thank you. Would have been fun to take advantage of the maps/GPS, but the iPhone offers plenty of navigation alternatives. Just to elaborate, though, when you say turning the car off "totally," what do you imply by that?
The power down option in the settings menu (under E-Brake and Power Off), and you can turn the car off. It's not really off, as stepping on the brake will wake it up. It's the most 'off' we can do without disconnecting the 12V battery and other more invasive things.