TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Renter seeking charging for upcoming Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by treesandmore, Aug 9, 2017.

1. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

I'm looking for a place to rent, and I've been hitting brick wall with this. Several new, 'upscale' 'eco' apartments and townhouse communities I've looked at said it can't be done.

Moving on to private homes, I'm still unable to convince anyone. I think my pitch is off.

The common thread in the responses is:

1) surprise. A moment of silence followed by "you're the first person who's ever asked".
    2) blanket refusal - 'owner not interested'
    or
    3) No, there's no charger. After I explain some, still no.

I explain that any modern electrical system can handle this.
    That the best is the same outlet used for a hot tub
    I explain that I'll pay for any installation needed.

But - no interest. You'd think that a renter with an interest in EVs is automatically more desirable (sort of gives you an upscale and non-meth-using aura), but not so.

I think my explanation is off. The main piece of info I'm lacking as far as my own understanding is: does an electrician have to check the electrical system? And what exactly does he need to check? What does installation of that outlet require? In which circumstances, if any, is this not doable? I've never owned a home and I'm not very savvy about this.

Help me say the right words. Thanks!

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Are you looking to rent a home or condo/apartment? Doing an exterior install is a bit different than doing one on a home.

• Informative x 1
  3. Runt8

Runt8 Member

To do it correctly, you need to pull permits and have the work inspected. Some municipalities may require the work to be done by a licensed electrician. Where I live, it doesn't matter who did the installation as long as it passes inspection, but I've heard differently from others.

• Like x 1
  4. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

I prefer a house. One place I looked at has a carport. Other houses or townhouses might have garages.

5. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Simply put, it costs them money to install it with little in ROI. I don't know how the rental market is in the pacific northwest, but if its hot, there is no reason for landlords to add it.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

I'm not sure what this means.

I'm looking at an ad. I call up the owner or management company. I offer to pay for any installation required. What exactly do I need to do - offer to have an electrician visit to inspect the system, then depending on the outcome decide if to rent it or not? In what circumstances would charging not be possible?

Or, if permission is given to charge an EV, rent the place (if I like it), and simply pay for an electrician to install whatever is needed?

7. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

It's the worst market for renters in living memory.

How much would it cost to install it? 'It' being as far as I understand the same outlet a hot tub requires. Remember, I offer to pay.

• Like x 1
  8. Arthur Tucker

Arthur Tucker Noob Member

I'm facing the same issue. I know of one apartment complex in my area that has two charging spots, but I always see two Leafs there. I asked my current place about charging and was basically told that I'd have to have a unit with an attached garage and use the 120 volt outlet in there. (Which would be far from ideal.)

I still do have basically a year to a year and a half until I get my Model 3 anyway, so I have time.

• Like x 1
  9. cantdecide

cantdecide Member

I would delay trying to solve that problem for a few months.
    If you do anything for this get a home with a garage that has a standard wall outlet.

By the time you get your car much will have changed:
    * There will be more superchargers around to use for when L1 is insufficient.
    * You will have a track record as a good tenant
    * EV knowledge and acceptance will have increased
    So a landlord will be more willing to let you install one down the road... If you need one.

• Like x 1
  10. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

I own a house I rent, and I try to educate other landlords about the opportunity to offer high-amp outlets and/or EVSEs.

I personally use my position to incentivize behaviors I think are beneficial to the collective e.g. offer rebates for people with Permaculture design certificates and those that sign up for PSE Green Power (PSE's REC program), and if someone asked about EV I'd most probably install a NEMA 14-50.

In apartment settings, one issue I hear about is 'what if the apt is empty, I'm paying the bill, and folks are just coming in and charging on my dime'. Some have obvious answers (eg turn off the breaker, put a padlock on it if exterior), but they require you go through the scenario mentally at least once. I think plugshare and others had 'EV charging for apartment landlords FAQ & guides' I've seen some time ago.

• Love x 1
  11. kort677

kort677 Banned

pulling permits is not a prerequisite in all locations and it would be wise to only have a licensed electrician do an install

• Informative x 2
  12. kort677

kort677 Banned

I know that you're not a tenant however the leaf owners have learned bad habits, those spots are charging spots and not their parking spots.

• Like x 1
  13. treesandmore

treesandmore Member

If I go with the RWD my estimated delivery date is December 2017 to Feb 18. I doubt these many societal changes will occur in this timeframe. :)

But maybe renting a garage with a standard wall outlet as you suggest is the best solution.

If I do that, does an electrician need to check anything? Can I just plug in without any worries?

14. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

One easy thing is to ask if there is a clothes dryer outlet in the garage. That would give you 24A charge rate (on 30A breaker), plenty to charge a M3(or S70) overnight. Many houses and condos built in the 60s, 70s and 80s had laundry connections in the garage.

Next step is to look at the service panel and make sure it is not Zinnsco or FPE, both of which would be dangerous to use for high load like EV charging.

• Informative x 1
  15. markb1

markb1 Active Member

The only reason I can think of that it couldn't be done is that the electrical service amperage isn't enough. Electrical code dictates the service amperage based on a formula. Adding a 50A circuit to a 100A service, for instance, could easily put you over the top. Of course, service amperage can be upgraded for a substantial price. (If you're willing to pay that price, and have everything done by a licensed electrician, the landlord would be crazy to refuse, IMO.)

Then the other issue is aesthetics. The landlord might not like the all the conduit or what have you. You that can be fixed for a price, too.

I think @cantdecide's advice above is good. Look for a property to rent that would be compatible, and after a few months, approach the landlord about the possibility of adding a charging outlet. Stress that you will use a licensed electrician, and it will an improvement to the rental property that the landlord will get to keep, for free! If done professionally, it won't hurt the rental value, and may even increase it, because EV owners will be fighting over it next time it goes on the market! Also, this improvement means you are more likely to renew the lease, which is an important consideration for any landlord. (Of course, you might end up with a larger rent increase at renewal time, if your landlord takes this into account.)

• Like x 1
  16. MarioOrtegon

MarioOrtegon Member

You could do what I will do and is to rent an apartment with a garage, just make sure that the clothes dryer is near the garage.
    and buy a "dryerbuddy", it's basically taking the same connection that the dryer uses and splits it, so now you can switch between using the dryer or charging your car on the same outlet at (hopefully) 240V @ 40 A.
    If you do find multiple apartments like that (lucky you) check the connector of the dryer, it will say something like 14-50,10-50, 10-30,etc. The higher the second number the better since it states the maximum peak current that you can use.(still your car will charge at 80% of the peak current)

• Informative x 1
  17. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

I hired a Tesla recommended electrician and installed a 14-50 in my house. I did research on the forum when I did that and noticed that prices for this installation varied significantly. Mine was among the lowest cost because my electric box was right in the garage where I wanted the outlet to be. He literally just installed the outlet right below the box and all was good.

However some people on the forum reported potential costs of thousands because ceilings and dry walls need to be opened to pass through the wire. So basically depending on the setup of the electric system, this could be very minor work or major work that will require not only electrician but also contractors to open up and redo walls and ceilings...

So basically it's impossible to really know or be able to convince a landlord that this won't require massive work on their house until you actually get a certified electrician to look at the garage...

Rule of thumb, if you see the central electric box pretty much where you want your outlet to be, then it ll be easy. If you don't, it may be a lot of work.

• Informative x 1
  18. markb1

markb1 Active Member

If there's faulty wiring, a sustained high current load such as this would smoke it out (perhaps literally!) so it's not a bad idea have it inspected. You also need to be sure there is nothing else that would be using the same circuit at the same time, or you will be tripping breakers. Also, keep in mind that charging off a standard wall outlet is super slow. It's probably not enough to cover your daily driving.

• Informative x 1
  19. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Don't fixate on 50A. For a small battery like even the long range M3 will have, 30A outlet is quite ample to recharge overnight.

I have had rental properties for 40 years and I have never thought to raise rent for an improvement that the renter had paid for.

• Like x 1
  20. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Good points! Retaining good, reliable tenants is very important to any landlord!

• Like x 1