Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renter seeking charging for upcoming Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having read over all the answers, and since there is some risk to plugging in if the system is not adequate, it seems that I need to have an electrician visit and look at what needs to be done.

If the job would be too big, all I've lost is the cost of the visit.

The complicated bit is that I'd need this done before I rent (and I might be several hours away from the potential home, which makes it even more complicated).

Another option is to bring this up as an option, rent before this is done, and if after the electrician's visit the job turns out to be too big, too expensive for me or requiring extensive work that the landlord understandably wouldn't be interested in doing, rely then on superchargers or other chargers outside the home.

Basically: look for a house with a garage or carport. Tell the owner I'm planning on getting a Tesla. Tell them I'll pay to have the system checked prior to charging. Take my chances with the outcome.

Does this sound right?

Reactions: Robert831
Rent imo = keep quiet and go stealth (or in my case, own a condo but don't want to deal with the HOA and city and permits and neighbor approvals and general overall hassle).

Found a video on your tube that gave me my solution (240V/12A, plenty good enough for my 43-mile round trip work commute in a Model 3), search you tube for "Tesla model S charging for folks who rent".

Reactions: beths11
Rent imo = keep quiet and go stealth (or in my case, own a condo but don't want to deal with the HOA and city and permits and neighbor approvals and general overall hassle).

Found a video on your tube that gave me my solution (240V/12A, plenty good enough for my 43-mile round trip work commute in a Model 3), search you tube for "Tesla model S charging for folks who rent".
Several times I've done electrical wiring upgrades at places where I was renting. I never asked permission, and nobody ever complained.

Having said that, I'm tentatively planning to sell my house soon, but I'm frightened of the rental market. I would hope to at the very least be able to plug in at level 1 at home, and make use of superchargers when I'm out to make up any shortcomings.

Reactions: beths11
Having read over all the answers, and since there is some risk to plugging in if the system is not adequate, it seems that I need to have an electrician visit and look at what needs to be done.

If the job would be too big, all I've lost is the cost of the visit.

The complicated bit is that I'd need this done before I rent (and I might be several hours away from the potential home, which makes it even more complicated).

Another option is to bring this up as an option, rent before this is done, and if after the electrician's visit the job turns out to be too big, too expensive for me or requiring extensive work that the landlord understandably wouldn't be interested in doing, rely then on superchargers or other chargers outside the home.

Basically: look for a house with a garage or carport. Tell the owner I'm planning on getting a Tesla. Tell them I'll pay to have the system checked prior to charging. Take my chances with the outcome.

Does this sound right?
You are making this way harder than it is. Look for a house. Do not ask or make a big deal about needing an outlet for charging. Most landlords don't understand electric cars and are freaked out. Tesla has adapters which can use a 30amp dryer outlet often found in or close to the garage for charging. A 220/30A outlet will get you 15 miles per hour. If you are traveling further than that there maybe is a Super Charger in your area or will be by the time they triple them in 2018. I changed a 120v/30amp circuit I had to a 220/30amp (welding outlet). Search the X and S forums and you will find very creative (and yes safe) charging solutions.

Reactions: treesandmore
How far do you drive each day? How long are you home each day? If you are home 8 or 9 hours a night, you can get 30 - 40 miles charging on a standard outlet. You would still want that to be a 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it and a high quality outlet, but you wouldn't need much else.

If you find a place to live that has a garage with the electrical panel in the garage, that's cake. All the electrician has to do is to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet near it. The other options you're looking at definitely pose a challenge if it's going to be an exterior installation (feasible, but certainly not ideal on a rental property for most).

Agree with trm2's questions above.

I couldn't charge my EV fully each 8-hr night with L1, which is why I installed L2. Depending on you rental situation, the electrical system near the parking lot may be on a flat rate tier schedule so you could plug in all day. The Model 3 has a large battery, so if L1 is too slow, you can tank up on the weekends when you drive less. Also, having done the math, found out that my L2 self-install w/permit vs. using the charger at work was break even at 3 years, so length of your stay/lease should be considered. If you are going with the long range battery, the super charger would be an option too.

• Informative
Several times I've done electrical wiring upgrades at places where I was renting. I never asked permission, and nobody ever complained.

Having said that, I'm tentatively planning to sell my house soon, but I'm frightened of the rental market. I would hope to at the very least be able to plug in at level 1 at home, and make use of superchargers when I'm out to make up any shortcomings.

I would advise against it. It's akin to saying, "I installed an (50A equivalent) electrical range (2nd kitchen) in the garage and didn't tell you about it. Also it's also not up to code because I didn't bother pulling a permit. What do you mean I'm not getting my security deposit back?"

Reactions: EchoDelta and Runt8
I agree with the post above - don't modify someone else's house without their permission, especially when we're talking HVAC. We're talking serious consequences if something goes wrong. You haven't picked an apartment yet, so keep searching until you find a landlord who is willing to work with you. They are definitely out there.

@treesandmore,

By talking about electric cars and chargers, you are instantly turning the issue into something they don't understand. Instead of doing that, why not take Nema 14-50 and Nema 14-30 wall sockets with you and ask them if they have one of those in the garage? The page here on Tesla website explains how much charge you can get per hour with each adapter.

Last edited:
I would advise against it. It's akin to saying, "I installed an (50A equivalent) electrical range (2nd kitchen) in the garage and didn't tell you about it. Also it's also not up to code because I didn't bother pulling a permit. What do you mean I'm not getting my security deposit back?"
I guarantee the landlord would never notice unless the house burned down because of it or you told him. If he's the observant type and notices a brand new breaker panel in the garage, just shrug your shoulders and say it was there when you moved in.

@treesandmore,

By talking about electric cars and chargers, you are instantly turning the issue into something they don't understand. Instead of doing that, why not take Nema 14-50 and Nema 14-30 wall sockets with you and ask them if they have one of those in the garage? The page here on Tesla website explains how much charge you can get per hour with each adapter.

That's a good point. That's sort of the exact advice I need - how to give the correct 'marketing' pitch.

But if they ask why I'm asking ...what do I say then?

I agree with the post above - don't modify someone else's house without their permission, especially when we're talking HVAC. We're talking serious consequences if something goes wrong. You haven't picked an apartment yet, so keep searching until you find a landlord who is willing to work with you. They are definitely out there.

I'd never do that. Wouldn't know how to even if I wanted.

How far do you drive each day? How long are you home each day? If you are home 8 or 9 hours a night, you can get 30 - 40 miles charging on a standard outlet. You would still want that to be a 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it and a high quality outlet, but you wouldn't need much else.

I currently work from home and tend to go out on long drives to go hiking, but I don't have a set schedule. Basically you're saying that as long as there's an outlet, it sort of works. Though someone else mentioned that you should still inspect it to avoid overloading the system, which could lead to bad stuff happening.

You are making this way harder than it is. Look for a house. Do not ask or make a big deal about needing an outlet for charging. Most landlords don't understand electric cars and are freaked out. Tesla has adapters which can use a 30amp dryer outlet often found in or close to the garage for charging. A 220/30A outlet will get you 15 miles per hour. If you are traveling further than that there maybe is a Super Charger in your area or will be by the time they triple them in 2018. I changed a 120v/30amp circuit I had to a 220/30amp (welding outlet). Search the X and S forums and you will find very creative (and yes safe) charging solutions.

I think you're right - I'm making this harder than it is. I could feel myself doing it. The reason is that I don't understand the nitty gritty myself, and stumbled when trying to explain to potential landlords. That's why this thread is very helpful.

I'm still not sure whether I can safely say nothing and just come and plug in, or whether that's risky as far as overloading a circuit. People mentioned various circumstances where things can go wrong but I wouldn't be able to figure this out on my own. So I feel it would be safer to have an electrician visit.

I currently work from home and tend to go out on long drives to go hiking, but I don't have a set schedule. Basically you're saying that as long as there's an outlet, it sort of works. Though someone else mentioned that you should still inspect it to avoid overloading the system, which could lead to bad stuff happening.

IANAE.

You want three things from the external circuit:
- A good circuit
- A good ground
- No other loads

Even if you could only get 2mph charging on 120V (which is low), that's up to 336 miles per week.
So working from home should be good.
You could get an electrician to check out the circuit. There could be all sorts of reasons why you'd want to make sure that an external circuit is OK.

• Informative
Help me say the right words. Thanks!

I know exactly what you are experiencing. I talked to many apartment managers about that and the reaction is always like you described. When non-informed people hear 'EV charging station' they think of something big and expensive like a gas station or huge L3 pedestal they might have seen. They want nothing to do with that. No matter what you say after that will erase that image in their heads. Here is what I recommend:

Do not say anything related to EV or charging station. Don't say anything about 'high power' or 240 Volt, or anything that remotely sounds like something special or big or expensive. It will just freak them out. Just say I need a power outlet at my parking spot. Most likely they don't have one available. Then your next step is saying, "I will pay for an electrician to install one'. If they ask why, make anything up (charging your power tools that you need for work, ...). This will much more likely get their consent. After all, they get a free outlet added to their garage once you move out. When you talk to the electrician you tell them you need a 14-50 outlet. They'll know what to do.

I found a few places that have EV chargers that are run by Chargepoint or Blink and the prices are ridiculous. The management sees it as a nice way to make extra money. I would never move into an apartment that tries to make extra money on me this way. Electricity is something I pay the utility company for directly, no one gets in between that and charges me more.