Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renter seeking charging for upcoming Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check your breaker box and see what breaker that circuit is on. Odds are it's 20A. That's most common in the US, because people run power tools and the like in their garage. No guarantees of course. BTW, if it is only 15A, switching out a breaker is really easy. Your wiring should technically support over 30A (although you wouldn't actually want to put such high loads on it sustained!)
thanks again for the advice but 1. not in my home and 2. when traveling and I am only able to access a 110 outlet, I take whatever I can get and 3 at my main home I have 220 50 amp service installed so all of this is a moot point for the majority of my charging needs.
the only reason I commented is because you are offering very broad advice that is not valid in many situations.

Throwing in one more vote for the dryer plug and a Buddy. I ran my Roadster off it for 2 years, and had no troubles. 24 amps / 240 volts charging is more than enough for most situations, and you will have the advantage of supercharging (if reasonably near by) if you need it. Roadsters pre-date all that stuff...

We completed an interstate move a couple of weeks ago. It was very hurried and when we left CA we didn't have a lease agreement in place for our arrival in CO 5 days later. We had to rent sight unseen. We drove out X, S, i3Rex and had the LEAF shipped... A long story for another thread.

We arrived... The garage had an outlet right next to the electrical panel on a 15 amp circuit shared only with the watering system. We use that on an L1 evse that is used on the LEAF and i3Rex taking turns. There is an outdoor outlet where we plugged in the Tesla 5-15.

Each EVSE is able to provide 100 miles per day off charging (provided we aren't using more than 2 cars simultaneously) and so far that is sufficient (our new location is closer to everything than where we previously lived). The Teslas only get low due to 100 mile or more round trips and such trips always go right past a supercharger.

Reactions: ModelX