Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renters of Apartments/Condos - Share w/ Us Your Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you bought a Model S before you bought a home? Can you share your experiences as a MS owner living in a rented apartment or condo? Did any unexpected consequences or disadvantages arise? Was it hard/expensive to get a charging station installed? Did you have to share the charging station with other owners? Did you find your options of moving apartments to be severely limited because of your car choice?

I live in a condominium complex with 24 units. I had no problem at all installing a charger. In theory you need to get permission from the HOA but in California I believe it's law that they can't say no. An apartment complex might be more of a problem. Don't call Solar City for this as anything other than a house seems to throw them for a loop. But any electrician should be able to help.

I live in an apartment complex, the end of a fourplex with an attached two car garage. When I bought the LEAF, I ask management about the possibility of getting 240 volts in my garage. There was a lot of hemming and hawing, the breaker box was full, and it is a 100 Amp service, so I finally said forget it.

In anticipation of the Model S arrival, I did the following:
Using a 14-50 pigtail, a plastic junction box and two 14-50 wall mount sockets, constructed a splitter.
Purchased a 35 ft 50 Amp 14-50 RV extension cord.
Plugged the splitter in behind the stove, the stove into one outlet the herky extension into the other.
Ran the cord out the kitchen window, through a flower bed to the front stoop.
There it lies concealed under an inverted plastic tub that occasionally serves to table an adult beverage.
Planted two large shrubs to cover the extension cord leaving the kitchen window.
The stove breaker is 40 Amps, so dialed the charge rate back to 32 Amps.
We do what we have to do. I understand the risks I am taking.
My fall back, not too convenient, is that my medical facility is less than a mile away and has six rarely used 30 Amp J1772s - free.

Coincidentally, earlier today the complex manager (nice enough person) was doing one of his periodic walk troughs and stopped to chat and look at flowers and stuff. Damn it, busted! Well, either he is not very observant, or doesn't care, but he knows we have two EVs, and never once mentioned that big black thing running through a flower bed to the front stoop.:eek:

I live in a apartment building with a attached garage that is owned by a separate company.

I always had Tesla on my radar, but in December I saw a Tesla store in a mall not to far from me. I got all excited them, but thought there would be no way for me to get this garage company to install a charger for me. (They are known to pretty tough to work with.)

Then in mid March I saw a online article saying they were installing a "Juice Bar" charger in my garage, as well as another garage 2 blocks away, and they would be installed by beginning of April. They also said that they would NOT be charging any fees to use the charger (they do charge a monthly $175 garage fee). So I got all excited and renewed my interest in Tesla and started my pre purchase homework investigation.

I ordered the car April 19th, and I am hoping for delivery in 3 weeks or so.

In MID April they blocked off 4 parking spaces in the garage and started work. They quickly did the rough in electrical, signage, and painted the spots green. But the actual charger installation has not been done. Earlier this week I left a message on their Facebook page asking when installation would be complete, and was told by the end of this month.

So my fingers are crossed it will be done in the 3-4 weeks till my car arrives.

85kWh, Green Metallic Paint, Tech Package, Tan Leather, Lacewood, Panoramic Roof, 19" Wheels, Air Suspension, Studio Sound – Finalized 4/19/13 – Delivery Button 5/8/13 – VIN #11399 on 5/14/12 -- Delivery Window June 5-19 (East Coast)

I live in an apartment with no charging in my parking. So far it has not been an issue. There are 3 free chargers within a mile of my place, and a $1/hour charger about 2 blocks away. I switched to a different shopping center for groceries and errands (same stores and nearly same distance from me) because they have a charger. Since I've always grouped my errands together, I spend enough time there to get more range than when I left. My commute is short, about 12 miles round trip. I easily make it through the week on a 200ish mile charge, and usually charge on sat/sunday. I could probably charge on a 120v outlet at work, and not have to use public chargers much at all, but I haven't bothered to do that yet. Vampire load is terrible though, and sometimes uses about the same amount of miles as my commute. Will be super easy to keep the battery charged once sleep mode arrives.

I tracked down an apartment in DC that had 4 chargers in the attached garage. It works well mostly, but people tend to be jerks at times. The complex went as far as painting the four spots green, including the surrounding cement pillars and putting up 4x4 electric charging signs, but the same 7 cars park in them every day if I'm not around. Ironic that one has 4 anti-oil bumper stickers.. I have the only electric car in the complex, and they've ordered bigger signs with towing enforced warnings. I'm told they'll be in in a month or two, until then it seems to be a daily battle for parking.

In the mean time they felt bad and let me use the 120v in the basement if the chargers are parked up..and they got confused setting the chargepoint chargers to the cost of electricity and decided to give up, so free charging when available, can't complain too much.