Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Model S via Turo in the Bay Area Ap performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
landing in sfo and driving straight to napa valley for two nights. Curious how AP handles the drive from sfo or at least after the golden vate bridge into napa valley and vice versa?

That is all, thanks

P.s the most exciting part of my four day vacation I think is four days in a model S airport to airport :)

I'm a Napa local. AP will work great the entire way. 101, hwy 80 and up hwy 29 into Napa. Depending on time of day, hwy 80 can be hell and AP will save the day.

I want to take the 101 to take the scenic route as a visitor...Ive done the drive before and never the hwy 80 route...I arrive on Wednesday at noon in SFO...think I will be ok? I can't imagine at that time it being nuts.

Also I wish I would have known about bottlerock...it's cutting my time in napa by one night as the prices of lodging on friday night is astronomical..so fri night im driving back into san francisco.

Thank you for chiming in..what can you say about the 101 at noon SFO into napa?

I've had a "moment" or two on 80 while on the left lane with AP1...think "concrete divider lust" a la "truck lust", i.e. drifting towards it when it's not supposed to.

I would consider going 280/19th avenue from sfo to the gg bridge rather than 101 straight from SFO...19th av is not exactly a scenic route though but the lights are nicely timed so it's usually flowing nicely, the middle lane is your friend to avoid the right and left turners.

Enjoy Napa.

I've had a "moment" or two on 80 while on the left lane with AP1...think "concrete divider lust" a la "truck lust", i.e. drifting towards it when it's not supposed to.

I would consider going 280/19th avenue from sfo to the gg bridge rather than 101 straight from SFO...19th av is not exactly a scenic route though but the lights are nicely timed so it's usually flowing nicely, the middle lane is your friend to avoid the right and left turners.

Enjoy Napa.

Thank you, that is actually what I planned to do but forgot the details as I was typing them out. If my flight lands at noon and my turo is meeting me at the airport terminal. (I'm carrying on) I'm hoping to hit the road after a quick stop at in and out at maybe 1-130

google maps has the drive between 1hour20mins-2hours10mins even departing at 1pm. At that time of the afternoon what would cause the main variance in time? how long it takes me to get past the golden gate bridge? If I remember that's when the drive really opens up. But would getting through SF at that time really be an issue? should I expect the closer to the 1hour20min time at 1pm?

Did that drive not long ago going across the Golden Gate, which especially southbound is a real treat as you come south and the bridge and San Francisco come into view. I did that drive every day and it never grew old.

The drive isn't really a big AP need _unless_ there is traffic, which there frequently is, especially on a Sunday southbound across the bridge. AP is an absolute dream in that stop and go traffic, the only challenge can be trying to stay awake after a weekend of wine tasting!

Once in Napa and off the main highways you probably don't want to use AP but it's no big deal once you are at that point.

You will probably leave the airport, take 380 west over to 280 North. Right as you get off 380 and northbound 280 traffic can be hit or miss but it will be stop and go once you hit 19th Avenue, it has street lights the whole way and is the feeder onto the Golden Gate bridge. Coming in at noon will be great, being on the road after 3pm will not be fun. You should make good time and be able to enjoy the drive.

Once you are across the bridge and back onto 101 north traffic isn't toooo bad depending on the day until you get to about San Rafael, then it can be stop and go for a but until you break right towards Napa. AP will be your friend here for sure. :)

(Source: lived in Marin for a long time and did that drive every day!)

If you aren't from California, expect to be shocked at how many Teslas are around, they are the Prius of Silicon Valley out here, it's not unusual to be at a light and have 3 others at the light with you!

Great Superchargers up in Napa too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Infoe
If Im going to do in and out burger before I get to napa should I do the one in daly city or do Millbrae when I first get off plane? I'm trying to be as efficient as humanly possible! I have to be at Caymus drinking wine for reservation at 3:30!

P.S. or mill valley after GG in strawberry? that one seems actually along the way without having to take a major exit or detour off highway

That one in Daly City is just as you hit 280 north and it's right next to the highway, easy on and off but use the nav because the exit there is a little unintuitive and there is a lot going on. That one is definitely going to be in the first 10 minutes of your drive, just don't let time get away from you as you want to be as far across the bridge as you can.

Milbrae requires you to go south, the wrong way for you trip, even if it's just an exit. I have a thing about having to go the wrong way when I have a destination in mind. I haven't been to Milbrae but I've been to DC a few times.

You may want to get it to go, if you are landing at 1pm, making it up there by 330pm is nothing something you want to cut too close. Plus you want to have that meal well consumed before so you can enjoy the wine fresh. Taking it to go from Daly City would be quick as it's right there, get the fries crispy!

You are going to give us a trip report afterwards, right? :)

I'm 100% taking it to go...drive through. and I agree about going wrong way. thats why i even thought the one in mill valley may not be a bad idea...I land at noon and hope to be in the car by 1230 or 1245 but at the latest I should be in by 1...Im getting a turo and she is meeting me at the exit of the terminal and im not carrying on..hah!

LOL. 101 from airport is not scenic at all. I guess it may get a bit better if you want to drive across the Golden Gate, but fighting thru the city will be hell too and then you have to deal with hwy 37 which is slammed after 2:30pm.

Stop harshing his mellow! He's going to be full of In-and-Out courage and coming in early on a wednesday. Once you are past 19th Ave, 101 sure beats taking 80 and that Emeryville tire fire!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ChrisJ