Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SoCalGuy,
I am a SoCalGuy too. The Enterprise in East Pasadena on Colorado rents out both Volts and Leaf's. Last time I was there (February) they had a Leaf outside charging at one of two chargers they had at the location. I will give them a call on Monday morning to see if they have any plans to acquire a Model S. Given the number of Model S's about to hit the road, it's only a matter of time until someone starts renting them out.

This will be a very good way for those looking for an "extended test drive" to get one. Those of us lucky enough to be in the larger cities will be the first to see them I would guess. This will give me an opportunity at some point to have a couple days with the car, and take some of my car buddies for a ride.

RT

The East Pasadena Enterprise (1890 E. Colorado Bl.) only rents Volts and Leaf's. They currently have no plans to acquire a Model S. I only spoke with one of the rental agents, and he didn't seem to even know what a Model S was, so take that with a grain of salt. The other place I thought might be a good try is the Enterprise at 1060 S. Fair Oaks. This is actually part of a chain called "Exotic Car Collection", which even has it's own web site separate from Enterprise:
Pasadena - Exotic Car Rental Collection By Enterprise

They said that they also currently have no plans to acquire a Model S. This guy was at least aware of the vehicle. He also told me that I was only the second person to call and ask about that specific car. This chain does share their cars between locations, so there would be no point in calling other locations, they are all in the same data base. I asked him if I should call back in a few months, and he said they do periodically add to their fleet so it would be fine to check back. Anybody hears anything else, please let us know. It's obviously going to happen at some point, it's just a matter of when and where :smile:

RT

These are the guys that originally had a deposit for the Karma but decided to wait: Hybrid Car Rentals | Car Rental LAX | Best Car Rental Company Los Angeles - MPG Car Rental Don't think they're getting a Model S either.

Do you guys still have Fox/EV Cars affiliate out of LAX? They have high end cars and hybrids for rent. I used to get a Prius or Honda Civic Hyrid (with your California HOV ok sticker) every time I went, usually for $19-34. They are owned out of Dubai, hence the interesting car mix. Anyone been there recently? Might be a place to check on their plans for Model S.

Indeed I have my Roadster up there; not to MAKE money, I promise you, but a different way to help spread the rEVolution after letting 100s of people take quick drives and thinking what's the next hurdle.
Rent a Famous Black Tesla Roadster in Los Angeles - Getaround :love:
My wife will be getting the S so not sure if she'll be so inclined to rent it out as truthfully, unless you have an EXTRA car (we don't) its a pain!
Beware, the site is crazy difficult to navigate
I do NOT have any affiliation with the site, but if you have any specifics that I can pass along, I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be). :tongue:

Well, as a thought experiment, go to Getaround - Peer-to-peer car sharing and local car rental and imagine that I wanted to rent your car (or any Tesla), but didn't have the personalized URL you gave me - how do I find it?
Ya, you have to sign in with a FB account to gain access. I get it, if you don't see what entices you, how are they going to get you to sign in. I read on their FAQ that they kicked that one around and came up with that business model. Though I don't agree, I honestly did not give it much thought as I realize that I'm not going to impact their decision. That being said, once you do log in, its pretty easy to find cars around you. Thanx, IT ;-)

Ya, you have to sign in with a FB account to gain access. I get it, if you don't see what entices you, how are they going to get you to sign in. I read on their FAQ that they kicked that one around and came up with that business model. Though I don't agree, I honestly did not give it much thought as I realize that I'm not going to impact their decision. That being said, once you do log in, its pretty easy to find cars around you. Thanx, IT ;-)

"around me"... yes. But I'm still SOL finding a Tesla. There is no way to search for a brand or for it to ignore location. Anyway, don't mean to off-topic too much. I like the idea of getaround, but they didn't think things through on usability for a site visitor that may be looking for a particular car.

"around me"... yes. But I'm still SOL finding a Tesla. There is no way to search for a brand or for it to ignore location. Anyway, don't mean to off-topic too much. I like the idea of getaround, but they didn't think things through on usability for a site visitor that may be looking for a particular car.
I see what you mean. I went to search for cars and if you press "FILTER" you can search by 'car style' (Convertible, Wagon, etc.) but not brand. I just submitted an e-mail asking them to at least add as a category "Echo Friendly (hybrid, EV, CNG, etc.) which should bring them one step in the right direction. I agree with your analysis, otherwise. I also note that although you can't choose to ignore the address you're at, you can choose any address that you'd like; for instance if you were visiting a city you could put that it. Again, far from perfect and far from even good, so I agree, but I'd put it in the 'barely acceptable' category. Hope they are listening to the masses and change things. Thanx for the input. Look forward to getting my (my wife's) S so that at least we can contemplate adding it to the stable of rentable Teslas!

Looks like a company in the Bay Area is renting a Model S out for $899 per day. Yikes :wink:
Tesla Model S: An Electrifying Feat of American Engineering You Don’t Want To Miss
Tesla Model S Performance Edition Rentals | Club Sportiva
Not sure what the "peak" means, maybe you can get it cheaper during the week? Still waiting for this to appear in the LA area.
RT
thanks for the heads up. Now that I have an idea of a price point to rent out my Model S on that same get around site as my roadster. Once I have the link I posted here.

Would love to be able to rent one for a day and really get a good feel for the car. LA or SF (or NYC for that matter). It was great having the Volt for a long weekend and really testing it out fully (great car btw!)

Btw, checked out that Club Sportiva - daily peak rental is $899 per day and off peak is $799 per day for the Model S. That daily rate includes "100 complimentary miles." If you go over that, they charge you $5.50 PER MILE or you can pre-pay for more miles at the rate of $2.75 PER MILE!!!

Last edited:
Would love to be able to rent one for a day and really get a good feel for the car.
I should have that link posted here by mid March. If you don't see it, or if you have a 'need' to try it out before hand, we can make some arrangement; maybe I'll take your Fisker as collateral. :wink:
Just send me an e-mail to [email protected]
I'm in L.A. (Woodland Hills)
That daily rate includes "100 complimentary miles." If you go over that, they charge you $5.50 PER MILE or you can pre-pay for more miles at the rate of $2.75 PER MILE!!!
I think that must just be their rack rate for all their exotic cars. With a pure EV there is less of a mileage concern because the charging becomes the rate limiting step. The longer you want to let it charge, the more you're being charged for the rental and just letting it sit, whereas in a gas car, it takes 5-10 minutes and you're on your way. Now the superchargers are leveling that playing field, but just a bit. The mileage won't bother me. :cool:

As people on this thread have said, car-sharing can be a logical next step to extend the test-drive strategy for introducing people to the Model S and EVs. (Insurance provides some peace of mind!)

At DrivingElectric, we've been in discussions with both Getaround and RelayRides to makes it easier for renters to find EVs. Both have said they are working on it; it won't hurt to have others tell them they want to list their EVs one they are more searchable.

Right now, only Getaround allows cars valued as high as Teslas. Getaround is active only in parts of California, Portland, Austin, and Chicago, but will be expanding. If any of you are interested in the project we describe at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...del-S-quot-Ambassadors-quot-in-Your-Community , we can provide a link that sends a small referral fee from people who sign up at Getaround to the non-profit DrivingElectric.

Tesla Time anybody?

I'm initiating a private Model S sharing. Check the quoted posting below. We're looking for part-time owners in Southern Germany that will fund a Model S.

If you are interested, please join the discussion in the German Tesla Friends and Owners forum:
Tesla-Fahrer und -Freunde Forum Thema anzeigen - Lust auf Tesla Time?

It will be possible to rent this car! Please contact me after Tesla has delivered the car "in mid summer" - whenever that will be :biggrin:

Hello Forum,

Who wants to spend Tesla Time? For me this will be

>> driving the Silvretta Hochalpenstraße
silvretta-hochalpenstrasse.jpg

>> show the car
7158590464_0b00f7b74b_n.jpg

>> hold presentations on electric mobility and dispel the FUD on driving the electric future
250px-Fuelcell.jpg

and lots more.

Model S ia a groundbreaking pioneer of the electric future. I want to see that revolution happen, but a fully optioned Model S is overstretching my budget. My suggestion is to buy this vehicle within a private car sharing initiative, formed by similar-minded part-time owners.

Who wants to join?
Tesla-Fahrer und -Freunde Forum - Lust auf Tesla Time?