TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Renting a Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'News' started by Electric700, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Electric700

Electric700 Member

2. moollar

moollar Member

$500/day! Are they gold plated?!

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Well worth it :wink:

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Plus $.79 per mile.

5. texex91

texex91 Banned

Wonder if they provide the fuel option :biggrin:

6. MacLeodMX

MacLeodMX Member

This is a BAD idea. How many more Broder stories are we gonna hear when people with no idea how to use a BEV get let loose?

7. Electric700

Electric700 Member

If they include instructions and provide a support number, may be zero? I think they would also point out one of the most important basic aspects of the car -- the range indicator and that no, it cannot take fuel, just electrons :smile:

8. SebastianR

SebastianR Member

I agree it's not a bad idea at all - remember, this will not be a car that you 'accidentally' end-up with since they don't have the Camry on the lot when you rock up to the counter. This is not Hertz, it's HertzDreamCars which is not your standard car rental...

When I lived in Manhattan, I deliberately didn't own a car. I would have totally rented a Model S for the weekend trips I did, had it been available back then.

9. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

Duh!
    The MSs are being rented in California.
    There are nine existing Supercharging Stations in California as of 9-28-13, National Plug-In Day.

One could travel a very long way and still be in range of the next SC.

This is actually Genius on Hertz's part.

Celebrate a birthday or anniversary: Go to the wine country, visit San Simeon, spend a week @ Post Ranch Inn, or Carmel or Santa Barbara or La Jolla or Hollywood or....

Snipes!

10. djplong

djplong Member

Hmmm. Renting a Tesla, which starts in the $70s costs $500 to rent? I was in Germany 2 months ago and renting a $70,000+ Mercedes cost me around $250/week.

11. MarkR

MarkR Member

I wish that Hertz would rent them at a reasonable rate. The more people who get a taste of Tesla, the more people who will buy Tesla. The more Tesla owners we have, the better the stock price. . . . oh yeah . . . and less pollution, less imported oil, less oil profits to fund terrorists, fewer oil spills, fewer balance of trade problems, more incentive for others to build good EVs, more American jobs, and more beautiful cars traveling the highways.

I'm a little bit afraid that neophyte EV drivers may not understand how to do trip planning in a Tesla, will run out of electrons, and create some bad publicity when they have a dead battery in Death Valley. Perhaps, Tesla should create an "idiot rental mode" with LARGE frequent reminders that say, "You have an estimated range of xx miles! Please charge me!"

- - - Updated - - -

Fuel option, hummmm? If they didn't offer a fuel option, perhaps Hertz would need a disclaimer, Batteries Not Included."

12. texex91

texex91 Banned

That's because every other car is a MB in Germany. Tesla is exclusive.