Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Y from Hertz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are considering renting a Y from Hertz for a week in Tampa this fall and were wondering if anyone has had any experience with Tesla rental from Hertz? Does Hertz put limitations on charging capacity? Lock the car in “chill” mode? Restrict max speed? Block usage of any of the regular features, etc?

Reactions: cdub
Have rented Y's from Hertz a few times. Each transaction with Hertz was smooth, hassle free. Last time was a 7 day rental kept it for 14 days cause we love the Y so much!!

Hertz places no restrictions on the rental where the renter can configure the vehicle to their desire and drive it like you would a normal car. All basic features are included (AP, Radio, Navigation, etc...) In some cases you can connect the car to your phone for WiFi and may get streaming services even Caroke but that depends on how long the car has been in the Hertz fleet. One Model Y rental we got had 36 miles on it so the 30 days of premium connectivity trial was active. As for supercharging, you use the supercharger network as a normal Tesla owner. Tesla will bill Hertz which then will charge your CC when the vehicle is returned. When you return the rental, Hertz requires at least a 20% charge remaining on the battery.

Also, I typically create "driver 1", "driver 2" profiles so it's easy to swap between drivers and prior to returning remove all navigation points from the history (swipe right to delete) which may have personal references. Lastly, I'll delete any Wifi device I've used for hot spotting from the wireless settings.

Any idea if Hertz is able to add your profile to the rental tesla like how Tesla can do it with the loaners now?
I don't believe so as you'd have to add the car to your Tesla account and no way to do that as Hertz controls that. Maybe sometime in the future, who knows.

Can you sync your phone to use it as a key or do you need to use the card?
No way to add your phone as key. Stuck with key card for lock/unlock and drive.

Does anyone know if you get a mobile connector in the car when renting from Hertz? Would love to be able to charge easily at my destination.
Apparently it does come with it:

The kit comes standard with every Tesla rental and includes a SAE J1772 adapter for charging at non-Tesla charging stations, along with a 20-foot connector cord and a NEMA 5-15 adapter for charging with 120V household outlets.

From the same page: Well that's annoying. Hopefully there's a super charger near Logan airport? Looks like the closest one is in Revere.

Where did you see 70%? The link shows "Please return your EV with its battery charged to at least 10%." (I don't know if they just updated that.) Do they charge you to charge it back up when you return it?

Tesla renters beware - Hertz has no clue about renting Teslas. They are supposed to pass through supercharger fees but when I got my receipt in my email, it had a $171 charge for "Tesla rebill." I drove a total of 448 miles. I've owned Teslas for 5 years so I know that's no pass through.

Their Model Y has a battery capacity of 75 kWh (from the Hertz web page)
Tesla Superchargers charge $0.25 per kWh to charge a battery

So to completely fill a dead battery from 0% to 100% (which I did not do), the charging cost = 75 times $0.25 = $18.75.

In order to ring up $171 in charging costs, I would have to have driven this car 2,736 miles - which I clearly did not do by the odometer.

No one at Hertz understand this technology at all and I could get from ANYONE at Hertz was - we only bill you what Tesla bills us. And yet, aside from one supercharger visit for $3.41, that showed up on my bill, no other itemization could be produced.

My advice - don't rent a Tesla from Hertz, and from my point of view - don't rent from Hertz at all.

Yeah I rented a Tesla model 3 LR in Ft Lauderdale.

Definitely ended up being pretty expensive with all the add on fees. Charged me $116 for 812 miles and that with even filling up at the house a couple times via the mobile adapter.

I should not have paid the $200 for the toll meter.

From 2/3 to 2/17, cost me a total of 1087.42

The car was fully functional but I really missed not having the app tie in. When charging, it’s really a pain not having access via the phone to check status.

Tesla renters beware - Hertz has no clue about renting Teslas. They are supposed to pass through supercharger fees but when I got my receipt in my email, it had a $171 charge for "Tesla rebill." I drove a total of 448 miles. I've owned Teslas for 5 years so I know that's no pass through.

Their Model Y has a battery capacity of 75 kWh (from the Hertz web page)
Tesla Superchargers charge $0.25 per kWh to charge a battery

So to completely fill a dead battery from 0% to 100% (which I did not do), the charging cost = 75 times $0.25 = $18.75.

In order to ring up $171 in charging costs, I would have to have driven this car 2,736 miles - which I clearly did not do by the odometer.

No one at Hertz understand this technology at all and I could get from ANYONE at Hertz was - we only bill you what Tesla bills us. And yet, aside from one supercharger visit for $3.41, that showed up on my bill, no other itemization could be produced.

My advice - don't rent a Tesla from Hertz, and from my point of view - don't rent from Hertz at all.

The last time that I got a Tesla via Turo, I was careful to take pictures of the charge screen after every supercharger stop. I didn't have an issue, but I felt like this was important as it'd be really easy to incorrectly bill.

Until Tesla comes up with a better way for renters to pay, I think its best to keep your own documentation. There should really be an easier way, though.

My Hertz Tesla rental was only OK.

When you rent a Tesla from Hertz you have to use the key they give you. You cannot use your phone as a key. As such locking and unlocking the doors was a bit of a pain. So in the end I just always left the doors unlocked.

Charging. They autobill any Tesla super charger fees to your bill at the end when you return the car. I had to wait 10 minutes at the airport and ask them to give me a bill which they finally did. All the charges from my supercharging sessions were there without any "extra" charge. So that was nice. You have to return the car with I believe over 70% charge.

They included a mobile charging kit. Check it before you drive away. It has a j1772 adapter which came in very handy for me as I often used "free" charging stations which saved money as the Tesla superchargers I used cost about $ .50 per Kwh. I wish superchargers had a price sign like gas stations do.

They don't include data with the Tesla. So apps like Spotify, and Netflix etc. don't work and maps does not show live traffic but it still can do navigation.

Reactions: Daekwan
I have not rented from Hertz yet, but I have rented a Tesla from Avis. Avis does not have them at every location, but it could be worthwhile to check and price shop. Currently, Avis is not charging customers for Supercharger usage (although I believe this is because it's new to them and I believe in the long term they intend to).

I had no issues with Avis. They ask that you return it with 80% charge.