TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Renting out a leased Model X on Turo ?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by achen, May 8, 2016.

1. achen

achen Member

I know it might be better to post this question in a more general forum, however I decided to make it here in case there is any difference in leasing terms of Model S and of Model X.

I am one of the earliest owner who will take delivery on Model X 75D (my configuration of 70D was confirmed in Nov. 2015), I plan to rent it out through Turo to let more people know about this car, as well as make some extra $$ by taking advantage of low availability of this car in teh beginning.

Is it OK to rent the car out if I l leased it ? I did call Tesla and I was told "I don't see why not, it's your car even leased." by a rep, but I didn't think whoever told me that was creditable enough.

Turo's explanation on this question:
    Is it OK to rent out my car if I'm leasing it?

2. Ampster

Ampster Member

I would read your lease like the Turo link suggested. If you don't have paperwork yet see it Tesla can send it to you.

3. mike-415

mike-415 Member

Tesla doesn't care. Make sure your insurance fully covers you; that's the question.

• Like x 2
  4. krazineurons

krazineurons krazineurons

Does the insurance typically cover the owner if they are offering the car on a rental platform?

5. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

If it's a leased car, you also have mileage restrictions. I could put 1000 miles in two days on a leased Model X easily.

And the true arbiter is going to be your insurance company. You better have a low deductible, bullet-proof policy.

Would love to know if its financially feasible once you factor in all costs. :)