Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting out your Tesla on Turo is a bad idea, did the math..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you set the max speed in the app, it also limits the acceleration to something roughly equivalent to chill.

Renters may not be happy with that.

I think this depends who's renting.

I came from a Prius and I rented the SR+ through Turo just to try it out. I didn't know what "CHILL" on the display meant at the time (I do now!) but I thought it wasn't bad. The reality is that these cars are faster than 90% of vehicles on the road, even the SR+ on chill mode.

Reactions: HyperionMark
I'll never understand why some people care so much about what someone else does with their personal property.

I wont rent mine out on Turo for a myriad of reasons that have either already been covered here or will bore someone to death but I'm not about to tell someone else what they should or should not (in this case) do with their car.
Tell ppl what not to do is sth I hate every time people rent my car.

This poster is very wrong. I’ve rented my MX for 3 years on Turo to 100 people so far. Never had a single issue of someone misusing the car. On average people drive 60 miles a day (they are limited to 150 and pay extra is they go above). I have met great people and rent it out on average 10 days a month and it has paid for the car and my apartment rent for 3 years. Resale value on car is $50k now bought for 90k. Have made about $20k and had a free Tesla for 3 years if I sold today.
Thanks much for the optimism.

This poster is very wrong. I’ve rented my MX for 3 years on Turo to 100 people so far. Never had a single issue of someone misusing the car. On average people drive 60 miles a day (they are limited to 150 and pay extra is they go above). I have met great people and rent it out on average 10 days a month and it has paid for the car and my apartment rent for 3 years. Resale value on car is $50k now bought for 90k. Have made about $20k and had a free Tesla for 3 years if I sold today.
Thanks for the optimism, it does work!

Just to chime in, my DA friends call Turo "stealmycar.com" because of the amount of fake IDs/CCs used to create accounts and steal cars. I personally have rented cars from Turo multiple times and love it from a renter perspective. The cars I've rented clearly had rental damage to them that I'd find unacceptable as an owner. I would never rent my car due to all the issues above and theft.

Reactions: imola.zhp