Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renton Service Center - Another Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, my original service appointment was to replace a fog lamp that was flickering a few weeks ago. Tesla sent a mobile tech to fix that, and he had to remove the bumper partially to access the fog lamp assembly. When he finished the work, he said that more than likely the car would show an error about the radar needing to be calibrated afterwards, and that would require an appointment at the service center. He stated it was a 15 minutes fix and a fairly common service request after a bumper removal. Seemed easy.

It took me 10 days to get an appointment at the service center because the app would only allow for a mobile tech. I made one appointment thinking someone at the service center would see it was for a radar calibration and change it away from a mobile visit, but they kept trying to send mobile techs who would cancel when they realized they could not handle it. During this time, I kept leaving VMs for the Renton service center to get the correct appointment scheduled, but nobody would call me back...probably because the phone system says to only use the mobile app to make an appointment, but that was clearly not working. I finally called the Bellevue service center who answered, booked the appointment at Renton, and confirmed it was a 30 minute appointment.

I arrive on the appointment day thinking it will be a short wait for service. I get a text to wait in my car until a service advisor comes to the car (there's 5 cars in line). Everyone else gets helped within 10 minutes, and then I am left sitting there for 30 minutes. I chatted with some service techs painting body panels outside in the parking lot (yeah, I know). One went inside twice to find an advisor to help me. I finally get checked in, and they tell me to take a Model S loaner because it will take a day. The loaner has no data service (or at least no streaming music or maps enabled). Halfway home in the loaner, both screens turn off and then repeatedly restart until I get home while occasionally flashing a warning message about power being reduced despite being at 80% charge.

30 minutes later I go to pick up my wife from work. The loaner won't turn on. It's stuck in "Off" and won't go into drive. I spend 20 minutes trying to get someone at the Renton service center to answer, but it goes straight to VM without even ringing. But...the Bellevue service center answers, and they do a remote keyless start which works. I get to my wife's work and get out to help load something into the car (she's very pregnant). Car won't start again. I try the Renton service center multiple times but nobody answers as always. I call Bellevue who does answer, and they again remote start the car. During this time, I pull up the service notification log on the main screen and see it has endless "Power reduced", "Car may not restart", and "Car needs service" errors. Around 30 every day. Seems like it's had better days!

While driving home, the Renton service center calls me and says they got a message from Bellevue about my car having issues. They say I was given a very old car, and someone just returned a much newer S that does not have a caved in rear bumper (as this one did), and it's mine if I come back. Instead of dealing with a car that may not start again, I head back to Renton. Halfway there, the AC quits and begins blowing hot air while flashing "Car may not restart" errors. At one point while stopped at a traffic light, there was a very heavy THUD that shook the car to the point that my vision blurred. Not sure what caused that.

The "newer" loaner is a year older and also in poor condition and looks like the interior has never been cleaned. It does drive though! The AC never gets cold, but it's better than hot air. Fast forward five days, and my car is still sitting in the lot at the same location as when I dropped it off. If it's moved, I have not caught it on the app yet. No ETA, no communication, and nobody at the service center will answer the phone nor respond to my texts or VM asking for an update.

But....the Bellevue service center did answer late this afternoon and told me that Renton broke the radar unit while doing the calibration and they don't have an ETA on the repair. I think the moral of the story is to take your Tesla to the Bellevue service center if you want to be treated like a valued customer.

Ugh... My MX has been at Renton for 12 days waiting on a battery cooling line install. They told me last week that they only have one battery table and that there is a car on it (they have to drop the battery to repair). Was told it MAY be done Friday (9/11), nope. Should be done Saturday... nope. Today I text them in the AM and they reply back that the other car just got off the table and my car is up next, tomorrow is looking good, but they will let me know as soon as the techs get a chance to look at it.... That was this AM and so far, nothing. I texted them at 4, asking if tomorrow was looking like a possibility (I need to pick up a family member at SeaTac tomorrow.. so, like, perfect... Silence).

I have been to the center once before for HW3 and some other small items and, besides some sporadic communication, seemed fine. This visit and your post is making me think the extra distance to Bellevue may be worth it.

I’ve used Bellevue for YEARS and love them. My latest appointment was in Lynnwood (auto-selected by the app), and I felt they did an amazing job too.

Sorry for the bad experience in Renton though. That sounds like a terrible service story!

Picked up my car this afternoon. Sat in the loaner in the service drop off lane for 20 minutes before someone acknowledged my presence again. The service advisor was just standing at his computer within line of sight the whole time while other service techs worked on the cars next to me. No other customers there. I tried calling the service center once to let them know I was there. Straight to voicemail.

When the service advisor finally came out, I let him know that I had tried calling multiple times the day before when I was in the area to see if the car might be ready before I made the trek home and had called again minutes earlier while waiting, but it always went straight to voicemail and nobody returns any messages left. He asked me to call right then on speakerphone, and it went straight to voicemail without ringing his phone. He didn't care and walked away without saying anything. I was pretty pissed off.

Then I got into my car and drove home with the GPS not working the entire time. It's like nobody tested the &%&&%* car before releasing it to me. I will never go back to the Renton service center again. Tesla ownership diagnosed the car and said "a component was not reconnected" and scheduled service at, thankfully, the Bellevue service center. This will be the 4th service visit and probably 3rd loaner car to fix what was simply a flickering fog light.

• Informative
Reactions: CliffG and DSolie
Picked up my car this afternoon. Sat in the loaner in the service drop off lane for 20 minutes before someone acknowledged my presence again. The service advisor was just standing at his computer within line of sight the whole time while other service techs worked on the cars next to me. No other customers there. I tried calling the service center once to let them know I was there. Straight to voicemail.

When the service advisor finally came out, I let him know that I had tried calling multiple times the day before when I was in the area to see if the car might be ready before I made the trek home and had called again minutes earlier while waiting, but it always went straight to voicemail and nobody returns any messages left. He asked me to call right then on speakerphone, and it went straight to voicemail without ringing his phone. He didn't care and walked away without saying anything. I was pretty pissed off.

Then I got into my car and drove home with the GPS not working the entire time. It's like nobody tested the &%&&%* car before releasing it to me. I will never go back to the Renton service center again. Tesla ownership diagnosed the car and said "a component was not reconnected" and scheduled service at, thankfully, the Bellevue service center. This will be the 4th service visit and probably 3rd loaner car to fix what was simply a flickering fog light.

I've received similar treatment from one of their advisors. Like an emotionless robot with no customer service skills whatsoever. The lack of care, accountability, ownership, and attention to detail, during my first service visit made it my last. Still dealing with a literal nightmare caused by Renton that is being resolved by their head Manager who thankfully knows how to do his job.

It appears Bellevue gets good satisfaction ratings, does anyone have insight on Lynnwood or the other service centers?

I've received similar treatment from one of their advisors. Like an emotionless robot with no customer service skills whatsoever. The lack of care, accountability, ownership, and attention to detail, during my first service visit made it my last. Still dealing with a literal nightmare caused by Renton that is being resolved by their head Manager who thankfully knows how to do his job.

It appears Bellevue gets good satisfaction ratings, does anyone have insight on Lynnwood or the other service centers?

The service folks at Bellevue have been nice and helpful, but they're definitely suffering from too much demand. Low chance you'll get a loaner, and when I got my car back it had grease prints all over the interior and some of the interior liners were popped off. Luckily not difficult to pop in and clean up, but definitely clear they didn't have the capacity to give the car a once over before returning. There were so many cars parked there being serviced it was insane.

Sorry to hear the issues with Renton.

Bellevue is still doing great, despite current remote drop off procedures and obvious over subscription. Customer service agents are great and make up for a lot of hq fumbles, from new car due bill items to extended warranty work. They all are prompt, courteous and driven.

I used Seattle for years, incl when bellevue originally opened with its gravel car park. They were again a great bunch who have roadster experience, original battery expertise and again prompt, courteous and happy.

I was booked into Lynnwood once as overflow from Bellevue very early after its opening. It was bumpy for sure, though frankly the customer service was just not there. It’s likely gotten ironed out now.

The service folks at Bellevue have been nice and helpful, but they're definitely suffering from too much demand. Low chance you'll get a loaner, and when I got my car back it had grease prints all over the interior and some of the interior liners were popped off. Luckily not difficult to pop in and clean up, but definitely clear they didn't have the capacity to give the car a once over before returning. There were so many cars parked there being serviced it was insane.

On my recent experience with Bellevue, their customer service on the Service side compared to Renton is night and day. However, their vendors or in house technicians at both locations seem unskilled or careless as they don't seem to pay attention to detail. My paint has been damaged at both locations. I'm beginning to see why people say there's no quality behind the Tesla name.

Sorry to hear the issues with Renton.

Bellevue is still doing great, despite current remote drop off procedures and obvious over subscription. Customer service agents are great and make up for a lot of hq fumbles, from new car due bill items to extended warranty work. They all are prompt, courteous and driven.

I used Seattle for years, incl when bellevue originally opened with its gravel car park. They were again a great bunch who have roadster experience, original battery expertise and again prompt, courteous and happy.

I was booked into Lynnwood once as overflow from Bellevue very early after its opening. It was bumpy for sure, though frankly the customer service was just not there. It’s likely gotten ironed out now.

Thank you. It is what it is. I'm relieved their manager was able to make it right.

Nice! Early adopter. My office was near the original Westlake location years ago. I remember popping in there one day during their Lotus chassis days and was warmly greeted with friendly staff who were willing to answer questions.

That sucks but, that's good that it's all getting ironed out at Lynnwood. I've noticed that Bellevue Service had vehicle check in and out procedures where Renton had none hahahaha. All goodness aside, at the end of the day, the vendors, contractors, or technicians at both locations damaged my vehicle.

If IT'S broke, don't try and fix it? This is becoming a common theme from my experience.

I am dealing with an issue with Renton and instead would like to escalate this to Bellevue, does anyone here have email address for a supervisor at Bellevue? They are almost impossible to reach via phone.

The service advisors at Renton aren't going to give you their managers info, I was lucky. I'm currently resolving an issue caused by Renton and like you, brought the vehicle to what I thought was a more adequate Service facility. At least in Bellevue, the customer service was there and forwarded new issues to the manager immediately. Renton, not so much. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you. It is what it is. I'm relieved their manager was able to make it right.

Nice! Early adopter. My office was near the original Westlake location years ago. I remember popping in there one day during their Lotus chassis days and was warmly greeted with friendly staff who were willing to answer questions.

That sucks but, that's good that it's all getting ironed out at Lynnwood. I've noticed that Bellevue Service had vehicle check in and out procedures where Renton had none hahahaha. All goodness aside, at the end of the day, the vendors, contractors, or technicians at both locations damaged my vehicle.

If IT'S broke, don't try and fix it? This is becoming a common theme from my experience.
Was at Union Station buildings there for a while too.

re damage. Sorry to hear. I found key thing was never let them wash or detail car. 1) when technicians see do not wash I suspect they know that every paw print will be seen, and 2) I’ve needed paint correction a few times from, presumably, dirty wash mitts or towels from quick wash and vac. Besides delivery issues have not had them damage paint since (fingers and toes crossed).