Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renualt trolls Elon Musk LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was the range loss at -20 while towing that trailer? So at 500 miles of range you could drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks AK while at max weight without stopping to charge. in the Winter.
Don’t think it would be too bad. However this is only an informed guess from me. The range loss in passenger cars in cold weather is mainly from heating the cabin. For the semi I think that will be a much smaller percentage of the battery. But if the road condition is poor, such as snow or ice on the road surface, the efficiency may take a huge hit, which I do not have the experience or knowledge to estimate that.

What was the range loss at -20 while towing that trailer? So at 500 miles of range you could drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks AK while at max weight without stopping to charge. in the Winter.

Also, doesn't the heat pump very efficiently heat the battery? Lots of short trips is brutally inefficient during winter, but once the battery is warmed up, the battery should be just as efficient (not counting road/wind conditions).

For a semi, they already have the engine block heated while sitting a depo... so they would so the same for an EV semi, and it would keep the battery at temperature.

Probably something they still need to work out is when the semi gets to its destination and sits for 6 hours being unloaded in the cold. There are many ways to solve these problems though, and smart people will figure them out.

Were these trucks charged to full or just enough to get the job done? The article says the third Truck was run down to 1.6% then charged for a few hours before going back on the road. How many hours would it take to charge the Truck from that low of a charge to 100%? Are drivers getting other Trucks while these Tesla Semis charge up?

How many hours would it take to charge the Truck from that low of a charge to 100%? Are drivers getting other Trucks while these Tesla Semis charge up?
It's not "hours". They can get them about three fourths charged in less than an hour. So with the stations at the Pepsi depot, it doesn't seem too troublesome to put one on a station for a half hour before it needs to go out again.

Reactions: SO16