Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repack/Grease my own halfshafts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to do this very soon and I wanted to know if I can actually reuse the snap rings? The service manual says DONT... but much like axle nuts and other things that people have gotten away with re-using since the beginning of time when repairing their vehicles... do we think I can get away with reusing?

If not I'll have to get in line for snap rings from Tesla parts, god knows how long that will take. (which is the main reason I want to know if I can reuse... safety purposes not withstanding)

upload_2018-8-15_9-27-51.png

From the instructions I assume that removing the snap ring ruins it for reuse. If it has 'ears' and holes for a tool to open it I would consider reuse but if you need to pry it off then it can be compromised/twisted and fail in use.

Are you sure that re-greasing is required? I'll bet that it's a life time lubrication.

I would leave it alone.

From the instructions I assume that removing the snap ring ruins it for reuse. If it has 'ears' and holes for a tool to open it I would consider reuse but if you need to pry it off then it can be compromised/twisted and fail in use.

Are you sure that re-greasing is required? I'll bet that it's a life time lubrication.

I would leave it alone.

Unfortunately it is a known point of failure and a common "service" fix. Replacement of the shafts can total 5K+ if they fail. I'd like to regrease and pack them as a preventative measure.

Reactions: dhrivnak
No idea what kind of car you have demundus, but I reused mine. The P??D has notoriously stiff snap-rings. Tesla has a special tool, but I used a crowbar and large screwdriver. Not easy.

Do not fail to replace your diff seals and the fluid while you're at it. No Tesla should go further than 10k miles on that first fluid charge.

And you'll need a (reputable) alignment when done, of course. I gave him lolachampcar's settings.

Yes it'll seem impossible but it'll come.

Mind to put the open part of the ring where the manual says, or you could jam it putting back in. (Forgotten where now)

I haven't put in the bushings and have 1.75 camber, but haven't noticed problem wear. I do only have 16k miles though on 19". Monitoring.

Ive looked and as far as I can tell, Tesla doesn’t sell either the boots or snap rings individually. If you’ve discovered the part numbers, please post

Even contacted the OEM and they said “have to go through Tesla”

No idea what kind of car you have demundus, but I reused mine. The P??D has notoriously stiff snap-rings. Tesla has a special tool, but I used a crowbar and large screwdriver .....snip....
yikes!
An entire Proto Retaning (snap) ring kit or cheaper ones - only cost $40 to $150 depending if you buy it at home Depot, harbor freight, MSC or Grainger.

urrea-plier-sets-360b-64_1000.jpg

Never admit using crow bars, pliers, screwdrivers, butt splices, vice grips, claw hammers & the like in lieu of the right tool. If the ½shaft uses a spiral type locking ring, there is a proper tool for that as well. The set of pics required costs under $10.

Do not fail to replace your diff seals and the fluid while you're at it. No Tesla should go further than 10k miles on that first fluid charge.

I am not over 10K miles, but I did schedule the one-year annual service appointment because I wanted the drive-unit fluid replaced as per the owner's manual. They told me that Tesla has removed this fluid change from the one-year scheduled maintenance and changed the recommendation for the first fluid change to year five (after which it's still recommended to be done every four years). Was I fed bad information on this?

82CE6F78-388E-410A-AE6E-0379D2DA515B.jpeg
yikes!
An entire Proto Retaning (snap) ring kit or cheaper ones - only cost $40 to $150 depending if you buy it at home Depot, harbor freight, MSC or Grainger.

Never admit using crow bars, pliers, screwdrivers, butt splices, vice grips, claw hammers & the like in lieu of the right tool. If the ½shaft uses a spiral type locking ring, there is a proper tool for that as well. The set of pics required costs under $10.

These are useless to get the half shaft out of the differential / drive unit. The spring clip is inside, and after getting some slack to work with (remove hub, etc., as needed) you have to pry the half shaft out, which compresses the split ring and lets the half shaft pop out.

This picture is the special tool used on BMW. Maybe we can find one from another car that fits? Many mechanics substitute a pair of strong pry bars. Nerve wracking to say the least. Visions of cracked differential cases dancing in your eyes as you press harder and harder, until -bam- it’s free.

yikes!

Not a Jesus clip. ('Jesus, where did it go?') It's a snap-ring. And for Jesus clips you only need one pliers for 95% of the work typically done.

And amateurs may never admit to creative use of tools, and only for fear that they may be criticized. I have no such frets. All my tools have multiple uses and so I have a concise set which I can actually carry in a medium tool box.

And David yes that's similar to Tesla's tool, but it's not needed.

FWIW, I've had this service performed twice at the Tesla shop. The first time it was a courtesy no-charge and the most recent time I was charged for half an hour of labor and no parts. They may have just been nice to me but if that's the usual charge, it seems like a false economy to perform the service at home (unless you are a long way from a shop -- I realize that is the case for many people).

FWIW, I've had this service performed twice at the Tesla shop. The first time it was a courtesy no-charge and the most recent time I was charged for half an hour of labor and no parts. They may have just been nice to me but if that's the usual charge, it seems like a false economy to perform the service at home (unless you are a long way from a shop -- I realize that is the case for many people).

If my SVC waits werent 4+ months. Also my car can never see a Tesla facility again :p