Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repaint options for Signature Green...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

This might be a terrible question but I’ve searched and searched and haven’t read anything with opinions if this is right or wrong on the topic.

So if someone had the opportunity to buy a Roadster and it was Signature Green, is there any no-no’s with changing the color with that peal-able paint or a wrap? And to add to the drama....what if it was a signature 100. That chance any opinions?

i just can’t deal with the color as it reminds me of 1998 Lexus and Toyota’s. Only thing missing would be Gold Tesla Emblems. No thanks.

I assume it’s not a big deal but I also understand the “preservation” part of these rare cars.

thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

thanks for any feedback!!!
- Trying to join the owners club

Hi

This might be a terrible question but I’ve searched and searched and haven’t read anything with opinions if this is right or wrong on the topic.

So if someone had the opportunity to buy a Roadster and it was Forest Green, is there any no-no’s with changing the color with that peal-able paint or a wrap? And to add to the drama....what if it was a signature 100. That chance any opinions?

i just can’t deal with the color as it reminds me of 1998 Lexus and Toyota’s. Only thing missing would be Gold Tesla Emblems. No thanks.

I assume it’s not a big deal but I also understand the “preservation” part of these rare cars.

If it is your car, you should make it the way you want it! It is totally your choice!! It need to make you happy, not anyone else!

Hi

So if someone had the opportunity to buy a Roadster and it was Forest Green, is there any no-no’s with changing the color with that peal-able paint or a wrap? And to add to the drama....what if it was a signature 100. That chance any opinions?

Tesla is not Ferrari. You can change the color. I'd go with a quality wrap in the color of your choosing.

Wrapping won't change the paint under the wrap, or damage it, so no harm, just the color you want, and can always be returned to original by removing the wrap.

If the color is the only hang up, and the cost of the wrap doesn't bother you as an add-on, go for it...

Wrapping won't change the paint under the wrap, or damage it, so no harm, just the color you want, and can always be returned to original by removing the wrap.

That's not necessarily accurate. If the paint is well-adhered to the substrate and in good condition, no damage will result. But if there are defects in the paint or that it is in some way damaged, removing a wrap can indeed damage paint. I had the original Tesla partial wrap removed to do a full vehicle wrap with a modern wrap. The shop was very nervous about removing the old Tesla wrap and the possibility of paint damage. Luckily for me, there was no paint damage so it went well. But the shop specifically noted that removing a wrap, even if done carefully, can sometimes damage paint.

That's not necessarily accurate. If the paint is well-adhered to the substrate and in good condition, no damage will result. But if there are defects in the paint or that it is in some way damaged, removing a wrap can indeed damage paint. I had the original Tesla partial wrap removed to do a full vehicle wrap with a modern wrap. The shop was very nervous about removing the old Tesla wrap and the possibility of paint damage. Luckily for me, there was no paint damage so it went well. But the shop specifically noted that removing a wrap, even if done carefully, can sometimes damage paint.

I stand corrected....

I think that was true for the model 3. I used a hot air gun, a bottle of XR21 and went at it. The adhesive was a much bigger problem. Took a few bottles of tar removed to clean it abs it’s still not all gone, but thankfully the road salt covers it.
C867D217-1346-4640-979F-329D6EA40D92.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ChadS

The OP is asking about wraps, which are typically a lot easier to apply and remove, as opposed to the XPEL clear bra you’re referring to that came stock on most of the Roadsters. To your point, THAT stuff is extremely difficult to remove...especially after 10+ years baked into the car. It requires a lot of heat and patience to remove without damaging the paint.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
For a few reasons- plasti-dip has a tendency to look cheap, it generally doesn't hold up as long as vinyl and if not applied correctly can be a bear to take off. Not that one couldn't dip their car but there's a reason why most will use vinyl other than a quick wheel treatment.

Everyone. 1st - let me apologize for using Forest Green as the color. When I started this madness I would say my roadster knowledge was slim at best. After countless hours and hours of reading and learning....I’m still dumb but I at least know how to say colors correctly. So Signature Green.

I’m a somewhat old school Tesla share holder and finally plunged on a 2020 Model S Performance. I recently was introduced to Carl Medlock on an unrelated Roadster topic and that quickly started my roadster obsession.
I’m now buying Signature #78. I’ve decided to have it painted the Sterling Silver Metallic. I’ve gone back and forth a bunch on this topic. I just don’t think I would ever be happy with the dipped paint process/quality and I love wraps but still seeing Signature green in the door jams/etc would drive me nuts. I apologize in advance to any purists out there that feel It’s a mistake. I fully understand. But I’m going to have Carl upgrade and improve #78 as much as possible and have another beautiful Roadster on the road around Seattle! Now I just pray that Signature Green doesn’t make a comeback in the next 15 years :)

thanks for all the info on this site. I’ve gone down some old topics and threads and learned a ton!

cheers!

Reactions: ChadS
Now I just pray that Signature Green doesn’t make a comeback in the next 15 years
My main concern is that you're painting over arguably one of the rarest Roadster colors. If these cars ever become true collectibles, that's where the purists' opinions will matter and you may kick yourself on final value. I'm just thinking of someone back in 1977 who picked up a '67 911S and decided they didn't like it in Irish Green so they had it sprayed black. IMHO, they're only original 1x. But, hey, ultimately it's your car so do with it what you want :)

I'd like to hear what the Sig owners themselves think. @Sig72 / @AEdennis?

Here's Sig Green for reference:

sig-green1-jpg.386287

Everyone. 1st - let me apologize for using Forest Green as the color. When I started this madness I would say my roadster knowledge was slim at best. After countless hours and hours of reading and learning....I’m still dumb but I at least know how to say colors correctly. So Signature Green.

I’m a somewhat old school Tesla share holder and finally plunged on a 2020 Model S Performance. I recently was introduced to Carl Medlock on an unrelated Roadster topic and that quickly started my roadster obsession.
I’m now buying Signature #78. I’ve decided to have it painted the Sterling Silver Metallic. I’ve gone back and forth a bunch on this topic. I just don’t think I would ever be happy with the dipped paint process/quality and I love wraps but still seeing Signature green in the door jams/etc would drive me nuts. I apologize in advance to any purists out there that feel It’s a mistake. I fully understand. But I’m going to have Carl upgrade and improve #78 as much as possible and have another beautiful Roadster on the road around Seattle! Now I just pray that Signature Green doesn’t make a comeback in the next 15 years :)

thanks for all the info on this site. I’ve gone down some old topics and threads and learned a ton!

cheers!
@Sonics2020 , if you have a Signature Green Roadster that you want to change colors for and would prefer Sterling Silver, I'd like to talk to you. I could potentially be interested in a trade. Please DM with details

y kick yourself on final value. I'm just thinking of someone back in 1977 who picked up a '67 911S and decided they didn't like it in Irish Green so they had it sprayed black. IMHO, they're only original 1x. But, hey, ultimately it's your car so do with it what you want :) Here's Sig Green for reference:

sig-green1-jpg.386287

I actually really like that green. While I’m not a signature owner, when I was looking to purchase #609, had I seen that car and learned how rare it was, I would have been all over it!

I'm a fan of Sig Green on my car, would never change it.

Link below is a video detailing of Founders #19 (not mine) when it was still Signature Green. Shows the color dirty & clean in fairly low lighting, so more subtle than the pic above:

The green/silver car trade sounds like a great idea; I hope it works out though I am sure there are many details to sort through. @Sig72, you might want to DM the OP if you haven't heard from him, as his account may be too new to allow him to DM you.

We could have ended this thread at post #2, but here's a long take with the same conclusion as most in this thread:

While it wasn't sig green, I bought a Roadster in 2009 in another rare color (yellow) and then sold the car in 2016. It's changed hands a few times since, and had some mods - including black wrap. x.l.r.8 owns it now (I happened to see him as he drove it home!), and I see in his picture above that it's now back to yellow.

In addition to my feelings not being at all important - hey, I sold the car! - my feelings were not hurt in any event by the changes. Each owner should do what they want with the car. Heck, I added a hitch, which some may think was not pure (and in fact Vroom wouldn't buy the car because "it didn't look factory" even though Medlock installed it). The ONLY downside - and it's only a potential one - that I can see to getting the color you want is the possibility of losing future value if purist collectors are willing to pay big bucks for the original signature green at some point in the future. But that's just a gamble on a future random payoff, not something you need opinions on. If the color will definitely bug you every day, then yeah go ahead and change it.

I think most of us want to see as many Roadsters as possible stay on the road...but their color is not a significant aspect of that.

BTW: it looks like #78 got its motor replaced in 2013.