Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repainting my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had some 100 mile per hour winds here in Southern California and I got caught in it on the freeway yesterday and my S was peppered with pebbles and debris which really chipped up my beautiful black paint (which is only 2 months old). So, I am going to have repainted and I am looking for the toughest paint I can get being that the factory paint isn't the best strength due to California emissions allowing only water based paints to be used. I am looking at Dupont Imron which is a urethane. I realize I will have to take it to another state to get the Imron or another urethane paint. Has anyone else done this and/or have recommendations about the repainting?

Thanks!!

Take it to a reputable detailer first (unless you already have). I had some pretty gnarly rock chips in my black paint and several large spots when I ran into my garage (doh!) and my detailer was able to use touch up paint and wet sanded/buffed the area and I really can't tell that the work was done unless I'm really really really up close (like 12 inches or less).

FWIW my OptiCoat Pro guy said that he has heard of some high end European car owners who took their cars from California to Nevada to have body work done in order to be able to use 'non low-VOC' paints as done in the factory.

A color wrap may be your best bet. I don't know. But, if I were going to repaint with something other than factory paint, I'd go with a good quality aircraft paint system. Those paints are specifically made to adhere to aluminum. DuPont Imron is one of the best, it seems. Other options would be Sherwin-Williams Jet Glo or Randolph Ranthane. A company called PTI offers regular polyurethane, as well as a water borne type. Stewart Systems offers a water borne polyurethane that folks seem to like, although application is a bit tricky.

You might also want to talk to local (as in NV) aircraft refinishers about doing the job. With any of these, the key is to find a painter that is experienced in using the system. For instance, don't go into a Sherwin-Williams shop and insist that they use Imron. That's asking for trouble. Find a shop that you like that uses the system you want. It's a package deal.

Best of luck!

Yes, CA paint restrictions are a total PITA especially if you are trying to restore a vintage car with the type of paint. Now you often have to send it to shop in a more lenient state or sometimes even out of the the country. I have a friend who had to send his Aston abroad because he wanted it absolutely original and it could not be shot here in U.S.. For your case I would argue that you should shoot it with the original soft water-based paint and if you really care have it clear wrapped as mentioned above. Repaints always raise suspicion and the closer you can get it to factory the more value you will retain.

Last edited: