Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair a broken HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A customer gave one of our installers a broken HPWC, Tesla didn't try to diagnose it, since the HPWC was under the new car warranty they just gave him a new one. All the info I have is that it "Had a red light, wouldn't charge" Not sure if this is the light on the car, or the HPWC.

I plan on testing it through a NEMA 14-50 plug I have installed. I would make up a short test cord from the HPWC to a male Hubbell plug in connector. The 14-50 outlet is connected already to a 60A fused disconnect (50A fuses) inside the 208v switchboard closet.

Couple questions: Are the Car-end plugs with cord a replacement item for the HPWC that is available somewhere? From the looks of it the car-plug was kicked around pretty good, so I suspect the issue is there. My plan was to clean the contacts in the Car-plug end first, apply power after setting the dip and rotary switches appropriately, and test in my Model 3.

If successful, I'd remove the 14-50 test plug, and install it at my home on a dedicated 60A circuit with hardwire.

Have others had any success repairing these? Any advice?

A customer gave one of our installers a broken HPWC, Tesla didn't try to diagnose it, since the HPWC was under the new car warranty they just gave him a new one. All the info I have is that it "Had a red light, wouldn't charge" Not sure if this is the light on the car, or the HPWC.

I plan on testing it through a NEMA 14-50 plug I have installed. I would make up a short test cord from the HPWC to a male Hubbell plug in connector. The 14-50 outlet is connected already to a 60A fused disconnect (50A fuses) inside the 208v switchboard closet.

Couple questions: Are the Car-end plugs with cord a replacement item for the HPWC that is available somewhere? From the looks of it the car-plug was kicked around pretty good, so I suspect the issue is there. My plan was to clean the contacts in the Car-plug end first, apply power after setting the dip and rotary switches appropriately, and test in my Model 3.

If successful, I'd remove the 14-50 test plug, and install it at my home on a dedicated 60A circuit with hardwire.

Have others had any success repairing these? Any advice?

There is a company that will modify wall connectors to install J1772 plugs on them. When they do this they recover the Tesla plug and cable. I think they sell them surplus if I remember correctly.

Which generation of HPWC is it?

Tesla 80 amp cable, HPWC, Wall Connector

Let us know if you get it working!

My HPWC stopped working. Cleaned it and tested the fuse continuity, everything was fine. The contactor was my next guess. After tracking down the part it appears they are supposed to be installed with the contact studs facing upwards- but these were facing down. Not sure if this facilitated it's demise so i ordered 2 in case this issue repeats in the future. Had to order them from England through an authorized dealer (no other way- i tried). Replaced it, cleaned up the contacts internally and on the charging cable end and it works great!
I put 170k miles on my 85D within 3 years. On many occasions i was charging from almost 0 miles up to 100% every day to make my commute. This excessive use may have caused premature failure in the contactor, but i'm happy that it can be fixed for $45 versus having to purchase a new HPWC. Also, mine charges at full 80 amps with 63 miles per hour of charge compared to the newer ones at 50 miles per hour at 72 amps. Definately worth the attempt at a repair.

The distributor i went through was Bohlinger out of Conshohocken PA. Nice guys who have been in the EV game a while-
But the Curtis Instruments people may have a distributor closer to your location-
Part info - Curtis Albright Contactor 'SW82-312 240V CO 37/14'

The total repair with all of the information i provided shouldn't take longer than 2 hours including removing the HPWC from the wall and disconnecting main power and reinstalling. Take pictures to remember where the individual leads go on the posts.

The only hindsight i feel i should caution on, is when taking off the cover, there is a small ribbon connecting the LEDs on the cover to the circuit board. it is very fragile- remove slowly and reconnect even slower.
This can also be seen on the original installation instructions from Tesla HERE.

Attachments

• Contactor.jpg
    Contactor.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 470
  • Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 306
  • SW82-Catalogue-Sheet.jpg
    SW82-Catalogue-Sheet.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
Just updated the post, hopefully you can see the original images now.
Tried the media share from TMC's internal media library- may have messed it up.

Just to be clear:

This must be the original Gen 1 HPWC right?

Not the currently sold Gen 2 unit?

I am curious if anyone has scoped out what the Gen 2 “Wall Connector” uses?

Thanks so much for posting these!

Reactions: dailo and akidesir
Just to be clear:

This must be the original Gen 1 HPWC right?

Not the currently sold Gen 2 unit?

I am curious if anyone has scoped out what the Gen 2 “Wall Connector” uses?

Thanks so much for posting these!
Yes, generation 1. Sold new in March 2015. There is a newer version, which arrives on Friday that will be installed next to our first generation. They will ideally share the same 100 amp breaker and I'm hoping that the different generation chargers will still communicate with each other.
When it gets here I will check to see if the same contactor is used in both generations or not.

Yes, generation 1. Sold new in March 2015. There is a newer version, which arrives on Friday that will be installed next to our first generation. They will ideally share the same 100 amp breaker and I'm hoping that the different generation chargers will still communicate with each other.
When it gets here I will check to see if the same contactor is used in both generations or not.

I thought the Gen 1 units did not have the sharing ability? Wasn’t that the point of the Gen 2 ones?

(I may be wrong - that is just what someone else said once in the forums - I am a new M3 owner so I don’t know about the older stuff)

• Informative

I was looking at the spec sheet on the contactor and it made me curious:

Did you get the right contactor with the same coil that Tesla ships it with? Also, I saw a note in there that the manufacturer could adjust the contactor for installation in different orientations. I wonder if Tesla orders them in the upside down orientation configuration? Were you able to get a replacement that matched?

I was looking at the spec sheet on the contactor and it made me curious:

Did you get the right contactor with the same coil that Tesla ships it with? Also, I saw a note in there that the manufacturer could adjust the contactor for installation in different orientations. I wonder if Tesla orders them in the upside down orientation configuration? Were you able to get a replacement that matched?
From what i was told, yes. I only replaced the coil. The posts and the actual contacts were cleaned and reused from the old assembly which includes the spring. I would think the spring recoil is what would need to be adjusted in the unit to accommodate vertical installation being that the only force i can think is added would be a positive or negative gravitational force. I don't know for sure but i would think that vertically mounted with posts facing down would assist the coil when engaging the contacts, while also applying a slightly extra strain on the spring when disengaging. So i used the original spring. Time will tell-

NOTES:
-There was a lead time on the replacement coil of over 6 weeks. So i purchased two.
-Obviously there may be different model coils in different chargers if their supply chain for HPWC componnets changed over the years. Everyone should check what is installed in their specific charger first.

Model number from side of the original Coil:
Curtis Albright Contactor
SW82-312 240V CO 37/14

Last edited:
Looks like I scored a free working HPWC! I really didn't do much, just cleaned the contacts in the handle portion of the charge cord with some alcohol and a q-tip.
Just made up a test rig and reset the HPWC, then set the dip switches to a 40A breaker. It fired right up, plugged it into my car and confirmed charging at 32A. Not bad for a couple hours time. Now that I know it works I think I'll run some EMT outside along the wall and set it up permanently next to where I park.

Mine just died after years of use, I have had 3 Model S's with 2 currently. Pulled it apart tonight, will clean the contacts and check the fuse, then go to this as the next step. I could also have a bad cable (final 18 feet). I had to replace one of those a couple years back.. Will let everyone know what I discover.

The distributor i went through was Bohlinger out of Conshohocken PA. Nice guys who have been in the EV game a while-
But the Curtis Instruments people may have a distributor closer to your location-
Part info - Curtis Albright Contactor 'SW82-312 240V CO 37/14'

The total repair with all of the information i provided shouldn't take longer than 2 hours including removing the HPWC from the wall and disconnecting main power and reinstalling. Take pictures to remember where the individual leads go on the posts.

The only hindsight i feel i should caution on, is when taking off the cover, there is a small ribbon connecting the LEDs on the cover to the circuit board. it is very fragile- remove slowly and reconnect even slower.
This can also be seen on the original installation instructions from Tesla HERE.

Mine has the same one, put mounted inverted.

IMG_0313.jpg