Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair Costs [for squeaky suspension noises]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, whenever I drive my 2019 Model 3, it starts to squeak really bad on the passenger side. Not sure if it’s front or rear. It’s like a ventriloquist. Sometimes sounds like it’s up front, other times it sounds like the back. It very well could be both. But like from speed bumps, to the tiniest little dips in the road, it’s very loud and annoying. I try to avoid very bumpy roads for that very reason, however, the road to my work and the road I live on both have speed bumps, soo it’s kind of difficult to just completely not drive over them. It sounds like an old squeaky bed frame. Kind of embarrassing sounding everytime I hit a bump. I’m assuming that there’s an issue with the ball joints and/or sway bar. So my question is, how much would a repair like that cost? Either like a full suspension repair or just the ball joints (front and rear). Even a rough estimate would be fine with me, just soo I know what I’m looking to spend. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Maric
Most likely front upper control arm. Pretty common problem. Mine was replaced under warranty so can't see costs on the invoice, but I think I've seen other people post in the $500 range for one side. Are you out of warranty?

Would be nice if Tesla listed prices in the parts catalog. Think the current revision is 1044326-00-J.

1639774837463.png

Edit - found a post where @MentalNomad had a quote for both sides:

1639775572263.png

• Informative
Reactions: Maric and cwerdna
Upvote 0
Recently, whenever I drive my 2019 Model 3, it starts to squeak really bad on the passenger side. Not sure if it’s front or rear. It’s like a ventriloquist. Sometimes sounds like it’s up front, other times it sounds like the back. It very well could be both. But like from speed bumps, to the tiniest little dips in the road, it’s very loud and annoying.

Here is what my failing upper control-arm assembly's ball joints sounded like.
If your sound is similar, then that's what you've got.
If it's not what your Model 3 has right now, it's what you will get within 20-40K miles:

• Informative
Reactions: Maric
Upvote 0
Here is what my failing upper control-arm assembly's ball joints sounded like.
If your sound is similar, then that's what you've got.
If it's not what your Model 3 has right now, it's what you will get within 20-40K miles:
Yup your video sounds exactly like what I’m experiencing with mine. Thank you for sharing.

Upvote 0
Recently, whenever I drive my 2019 Model 3, it starts to squeak really bad on the passenger side. Not sure if it’s front or rear. It’s like a ventriloquist. Sometimes sounds like it’s up front, other times it sounds like the back. It very well could be both. But like from speed bumps, to the tiniest little dips in the road, it’s very loud and annoying. I try to avoid very bumpy roads for that very reason, however, the road to my work and the road I live on both have speed bumps, soo it’s kind of difficult to just completely not drive over them. It sounds like an old squeaky bed frame. Kind of embarrassing sounding everytime I hit a bump. I’m assuming that there’s an issue with the ball joints and/or sway bar. So my question is, how much would a repair like that cost? Either like a full suspension repair or just the ball joints (front and rear). Even a rough estimate would be fine with me, just soo I know what I’m looking to spend. Thank you in advance.
Last month I had service appointment for tires rotation and balance and I told them about squeak notice and they fix it for free

Upvote 0
This is a fairly lightly loaded part. It should last for life. I have never had ice cars needing this replaced even out of warranty. I suggest this noise is a defect, full stop. Doubt it will be mechanical failure issue (In uk we have annual compulsory inspection).

Upvote 0
This is a fairly lightly loaded part. It should last for life.

Alas, it doesn't.
Tesla front control arms have a very high defect rate.

I have never had ice cars needing this replaced even out of warranty. I suggest this noise is a defect, full stop. Doubt it will be mechanical failure issue (In uk we have annual compulsory inspection).

This type of suspension failure mode is unique to Tesla.
The ball joints on front control arms are either poorly made, or severely under-spec-ed.

Either way, it's another hidden cost of owning a Tesla.

Upvote 0
Alas, it doesn't.
Tesla front control arms have a very high defect rate.

This type of suspension failure mode is unique to Tesla.
The ball joints on front control arms are either poorly made, or severely under-spec-ed.

Either way, it's another hidden cost of owning a Tesla.
When I google it, I see sites saying "Control arm assemblies last up to 100K miles."

So, I replaced my left control arm at 120K miles...... It lived out a useful life!

Upvote 0
Here's list of Tesla service bulletins I don't know how comprehensive this list is

Tesla service VIN recall search

Here's an article about Tesla notifying M3 owners about upper control arm issues

Upvote 0
Mine was about 10K out of warranty on my M3 2019. I jacked up and took the wheel off. Disconnected the ball joint (spanner and tork socket) and simply moved the ball joint around its full circumference, while applying heat from a hair dryer (to get the grease moving). I did use a strap between the top and bottom of the suspension to align it back up, but not sure I needed it. 20 mins work. Done 1K more miles and been good, but suspect the noise will come back. I am thinking about getting a CV strap tool to enable me to remove the boot fully and put in some more grease. Everything I have heard, it seems to effect the left side more (UK passenger side). I think newer models of M3 might have a easy access grease nipple which mine doesn't seem to have.

Upvote 0

and more info about latest Tesla OEM silver cast iron FUCAs here:

Upvote 0