Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair Costs - Grrr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the misfortune of needing to visit Ikea on a busy Saturday. Whilst parked someone (presumably a 4WD) dented the rear right panel on my P85D.

The damage was an indentation about the size of my hand and wasn't something I was too concerned about (we are insured with Tesla).

Well - imagine my surprise when we got the assessment back: $14,500 and the repairer would need the car for one month.

Whilst I only need to pay a $1,500 excess (even though I was not at fault - the other party is unknown) I see the repair bill and time as materially at odds with the damage which ultimately translates into higher insurance premiums.

It certainly would make me think twice about buying another Tesla. All vehicles have pros and cons but this is one an aspect of Telsa ownership (high repair costs and repair times) that needs to be addressed.

Love the company and car but some of the downsides (failed battery / failed motor and some delivery issues still unresolved after 6 months) are starting to eat into my passion (although Tesla could redeem themselves if AP2 starts to perform how it was sold!)

Attachments

• IMG_9919 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9919 - Copy.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 583
Is that quote from a Tesla authorised repairer? I recently scraped part of my rear quarter panel which required the Tesla authorised repairer to weld some cables onto the panel in order to pull out the dents and then repaint it. The total cost was $1,000 which was the same as my Tesla Insurance excess so I just paid for it myself. It took three days and he even offered to lend me his own Model S to use while he did the repair.

Reactions: doctorwho
Where oh where has the trade of “panel beater” gone? If ever there was a case where the panel both can and should be beaten, this is it!! Indeed, if they can’t get behind it (which they should be able to from the boot), then temporarily welding on a means to pull it out is indeed the go.
They have quoted you to replace the quarter panel. Ridiculous!

Where oh where has the trade of “panel beater” gone? If ever there was a case where the panel both can and should be beaten, this is it!! Indeed, if they can’t get behind it (which they should be able to from the boot), then temporarily welding on a means to pull it out is indeed the go.
They have quoted you to replace the quarter panel. Ridiculous!
I've seen pointless dent repair pull dents out using a hot glue gun and sticking a plastic tab to the panel and pulling it out.

Hi All

Apologies - disappeared due to work commitments :(. I have attached another picture that should hopefully give a clearer view of the damage.

I did raise the issue with Tesla and their answer was that the rear panel is 'structural' and is complex and time consuming to remove / replace.

In the period since my first post - the insurance representative did come round to do another level of inspection. No feedback from them other than the car is booked into get repaired in January.

Attachments

• IMG_9921 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9921 - Copy.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 452
Hi All

Apologies - disappeared due to work commitments :(. I have attached another picture that should hopefully give a clearer view of the damage.

I did raise the issue with Tesla and their answer was that the rear panel is 'structural' and is complex and time consuming to remove / replace.

In the period since my first post - the insurance representative did come round to do another level of inspection. No feedback from them other than the car is booked into get repaired in January.
This one cost less than $1500 including welding cause I ripped it open and a new tail light.

The following from Tesla at the time.
"Ouch! Let me know what the panel beater says, we can definitely supply the tail lamp that's broken, that rear panel is actually all connected to the chassis of the car making it a structural piece that can only be fitted up by an authorized repair center. So the best bet will be to see if they can fix the panel up."

IMG_5245.JPG

This one cost less than $1500 including welding cause I ripped it open and a new tail light.

"Ouch! Let me know what the panel beater says, we can definitely supply the tail lamp that's broken, that rear panel is actually all connected to the chassis of the car making it a structural piece that can only be fitted up by an authorized repair center. So the best bet will be to see if they can fix the panel up."

View attachment 263573

I suspect you all are right - if I took this to a standard repairer to push out and fill / spray - it would be a fraction of the cost and time. If I a spare moment over Christmas I might pop into a repair shop and see what they can do.

The tail light is not damaged neither are any other panels.

View attachment 263573
That actually is very cheap, Ray. The quote to simply respray a panel with no other repair can easily be that price! Certainly in Sydney at a high end repairer. Maybe it is different up in the sunshine state. Perhaps overheads are lower there?

That actually is very cheap, Ray. The quote to simply respray a panel with no other repair can easily be that price! Certainly in Sydney at a high end repairer. Maybe it is different up in the sunshine state. Perhaps overheads are lower there?
This repairer (who has now done two repairs on our A1 and three on the Tesla) is much cheaper than the local BMW robber.
I got the tail light from Tesla for $470 + shipping and the repair was less than $1000 including welding. Every job he's done has been ace.

Reactions: Mark E