Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair for roadster 1.5 key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found someone who can repair roadster key fobs? I've tried my local Tesla service center, without any luck. I had Carl Medlock take a look at them when my car was in for service, and I've sent one in to Gruber who was not able to help either. From what I can tell two of the three push buttons are failing/have failed, they are very temperamental and will usually work if you spend 10-15 minutes pushing them with varying pressures and angles.

Thanks

A very long shot, but it sounds similar to what I experienced with mine a while back. I took it apart and found (1) lint/dust under the buttons and (2) that the battery would lose contact when the key housing warps slightly under pressure. For the latter part I fixed it by ever so slightly tweaking the battery contact points to push more firmly against the battery. Hope this helps!

A very long shot, but it sounds similar to what I experienced with mine a while back. I took it apart and found (1) lint/dust under the buttons and (2) that the battery would lose contact when the key housing warps slightly under pressure. For the latter part I fixed it by ever so slightly tweaking the battery contact points to push more firmly against the battery. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried the compressed air, without luck. I haven't tried looking at the battery connector since the 3rd button (the accessory one) works every time. But I'll give it a shot...if it's something that easy I'll take it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried the compressed air, without luck. I haven't tried looking at the battery connector since the 3rd button (the accessory one) works every time. But I'll give it a shot...if it's something that easy I'll take it.
Good luck.

On mine it was also affecting only 1 of the buttons - I think it was because of the angle of where on the key fob housing you press on it

...try using contact cleaner while enjoying an IPA.
FTFY :cool:

giphy.gif

If all else fails, you can order a brand new set of two from your local service center for $283 + tax. They are still in stock as of recently, as I just had this done for my 1.5. They replace the module in your dash so it’s paired with the two new remotes, which renders your old remotes useless, but nice to hang onto as a keepsake or two.