Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Repair] Just bumped into someone in the car park…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always make a "notification only" declaration to your insurer, that will fulfil the requirement to notify them without them handling a claim - leaving you still deal with the repairs privately. Your insurer will then close their case after a few months on the basis they haven't heard anything from the other party.

You sound old school to me. Put your hands up as you believed you were substantially responsible and offered initially to pay for the damage - its an admirable trait in this day and age.
However, there is so much dishonesty in people nowadays - the ambulance chasers are partially to blame as they encourage false injury claims and people are tempted by the thought of easy money.
I think your right to go via the insurance company, peace of mind.

Reactions: Abcmsaj
I haven’t looked back at the dash am footage because I think it was 90% my fault, so I’ve said I’ll pay for both repairs, preferably outside of insurance as I don’t want my premium to go up.

It’s a 2021 M3, 5 months old, I pulled out of a parking space as the young girl was turning a corner and my view was blocked. Just sideswiped her car… her door and rear panel is scraped and dented slightly and she has a flat rear tyre, so she’s probably worse off! But I’m here to enquire about my repair

Attached a few images. Do you think I’ll need a whole new bumper or can an auto place sort it out? The only damage I see which isn’t scraped paint is at the bottom where the plastics broken.

Anyone done a repair like this before and what were you quoted? Thanks
Good news! A decent amount should buff out. Get some touch up paint from tesla and you will be good to go!

Reactions: Abcmsaj
So small update! Peugeot notified a bodyshop called MG Cannon - I've just called them to ask where I should send photos of the damage to and they informed me that they don't do Teslas 😂 So got back in touch with Peugeot Insurance and now they're going to get back in touch with me when they have a list of Tesla-approved bodyshops that are near me that can do the work. I have emailed a few "Tesla-approved" from their website just in case it comes to me needing to sort it out myself - so will get a few quotes from them and let Peugeot Insurance know if that's the route they need to take

Small update on this - got the quote back today from the Tesla approved body shop close to me... £4.3k... wish I was joking! Can't tell if it's a good price or not but the breakdown is like £2k labour, £1k on paint, £500 on parts, then VAT! Glad I didn't pay out of pocket now...

she would have to then claim through her insurance, which actually affects her premium next year even if she wasn't to blame. Very odd!
no, if she is at no fault - then claiming on the insurance will not increase her premiums!!! on contrary, her insurance would be extremely happy for her to claim ;) because they would quadruple bill which they would send to your insurance

Small update on this - got the quote back today from the Tesla approved body shop close to me... £4.3k... wish I was joking! Can't tell if it's a good price or not but the breakdown is like £2k labour, £1k on paint, £500 on parts, then VAT! Glad I didn't pay out of pocket now...
their cost in SC is probably 100 gbp per hour for 2 persons. adds up quickly.

no, if she is at no fault - then claiming on the insurance will not increase her premiums!!! on contrary, her insurance would be extremely happy for her to claim ;) because they would quadruple bill which they would send to your insurance
You will find your assumption wrong. Even if your car is parked in a car park and you are shopping - If someone else hits your car and they own up - so their insurance pays all cost of putting right the damage - Your insurance premium will go up come renewal. I know its absurd but the underwriters consider you are a greater risk of making a claim. They all say in the event of a no blame claim - or damaged by an uninsured driver wont affect your no claims bonus - and in this respect they are telling the truth - but - they increase your premium and then apply your NCB. They are sneaky no good bstards.

You will find your assumption wrong. Even if your car is parked in a car park and you are shopping - If someone else hits your car and they own up - so their insurance pays all cost of putting right the damage - Your insurance premium will go up come renewal. I know its absurd but the underwriters consider you are a greater risk of making a claim. They all say in the event of a no blame claim - or damaged by an uninsured driver wont affect your no claims bonus - and in this respect they are telling the truth - but - they increase your premium and then apply your NCB. They are sneaky no good bstards.
just went to compare the meerkat and ran 2 identical queries. one with a claim and one without - exactly same prices from same insurances came in. so I am not sur about this. of course, in ideal world, you would go after the faulty driver's insurance, not your own.

insurers tends to go and increase premiums any way, with accidents or without.

My car was
Even if your car is parked in a car park and you are shopping - If someone else hits your car and they own up - so their insurance pays all cost of putting right the damage - Your insurance premium will go up come renewal.
That's what happened to me on 13th June last year - Tesla stationary in a public car park & someone had parked theirs on a very gentle slope with the handbrake off. Neither of us were present but a third party witnessed the car rolling across into my drivers door. The other driver accepted full responsibility (£6.5k repair to the Tesla).

My premium renewal with Churchill only increased by £22 for the current year (& they also gave me a £50 credit last July because of a shambles in misarranging re-delivery of my car)

That quote is an absolute joke and I would ask some serious questions.

I approached a Tesla approved body shop (AW Accident Repair Group - Doncaster) after I hit a pheasant at speed which cracked the front bumper. They said the repair would be expensive, so recommended replacing the entire bumper instead.

Total cost Including labour: £1300.

Parts were about £900 and labour £400.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abcmsaj and MrT3
That quote is an absolute joke and I would ask some serious questions.

I approached a Tesla approved body shop (AW Accident Repair Group - Doncaster) after I hit a pheasant at speed which cracked the front bumper. They said the repair would be expensive, so recommended replacing the entire bumper instead.

Total cost Including labour: £1300.

Parts were about £900 and labour £400.
I've had a similarly stupid quote from MG Cannon before... from their branch in Dorchester. It was eye-watering for what was a basic panel respray and blend (rear quarter panel on our VW camper) and we knew for a fact there was no underlying damage because the panel had been removed. I can't comment on their quality but they must be reliable if insurers are willing to pay this much for paint work.

I don't think this is a Tesla tax in this case, it's just the way they seem to do business. It seems they want ludicrous insurance work or nothing and aren't bothered if it makes most people walk away. If the insurer is willing to pay that much, they'll throw a dart at a number and charge it. I can't say I agree with it (especially if they were exaggerating the severity of the work, but no reason to believe that's the case until you see it) , because the obvious knock on effect if every bodyshop in the land did this is that premiums are inflated, but on the other hand maybe it's just a sensible business practice that protects them somewhat from insurers throwing their weight around? 😂

Last edited: