Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REPAIR NIGHTMARE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how many of you have experienced a repair yet. My wife drove through the garage with a wing door open, and completely smashed the door.

Like any other $100k car, you would expect to be able to bring it to a high end body shop or one of your preference.

Not with Tesla.

Here in my area, there are only TWO certified auto-body shops, and one of them, the owner is old, slow, and doesn't seem competent.

That's not the worse part, the worse part, is that the body shop says it takes about 9 weeks to receive parts from Tesla. Therefore, to replace just a single wing door, it's a 4-6 month process.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this terrible news. It's unacceptable in my mind.

Thats horrible, you are not the first one that drove into the garage without closing the doors. Yea Tesla service is very slow, it takes me 2-3 weeks to just get an appointment. Can you share some pics? Curious to see the damage

Reactions: davidc18
Ouch!
Hi, welcome for your first post :(

I imagine that Tesla must have some parts available, and it should not take more than a week to get it shipped from the Fremont factory?
????

- Is there any warning when releasing the parking brake and starting to move the car to remind about any opened door?

- Can you still close the damaged door allowing you to continue using your car, even going on a freeway?

I'll try to send some photos later. I agree...there should also be a software upgrade that doesn't let you drive with the falcon wing door open. Off the back, wife feels uncomfortable parking inside now, however, we have to because the chargers inside....lol.

If part replacement and more authorized repair shops don't increase....i'm with you that when the tesla model 3 rolls out its going to be a nightmare.

Reactions: davidc18
I'm curious to hear how that happened, too. Giving the circumstances might save someone from making the same mistake.

If you have a narrow garage, the car will beep and chime constantly — regardless of if the FWDoors are open or closed. The open door warning can be cleared to see the rear view camera. This leaves you in a situation where you have learned to ignore the alert beeps, thinking they are warning you about of the nearby wall and not the open door(s).

The aviation industry puts a lot of thought into aural warnings because of a long history of pilots failing to differentiate between "FYI" and "holly sh*t, stop what you're doing right now" alerts. Instead of having just one or two similar alerts, there are a wide variety so you can hear how important they are. The best systems use multiword alerts for extremely urgent situations (example: PULL UP, PULL UP). Also, if the aircraft is trying to alert you to separate issues, the system needs to prioritize the alert that is most important. In the case of a narrow garage, STFU about the nearby wall and tell the driver the FWDoors are open and the car is moving.

Thats horrible, you are not the first one that drove into the garage without closing the doors. Yea Tesla service is very slow, it takes me 2-3 weeks to just get an appointment. Can you share some pics? Curious to see the damage
2-3 weeks?? You're lucky! My next scheduled SC appointment is January 3rd!!! And it's an appointment to fix something that has been in for repair 4 times now.

.. actually I think it was you who reported having a similar issue.. a rattle coming from the lift gate. Sounded like cans or glass .. they think our cables in my lift gate that need to be secured.

That's not the worse part, the worse part, is that the body shop says it takes about 9 weeks to receive parts from Tesla.
Any chance the repair facility can locate a totaled MX that has the correct FWD you need that is not damaged? There are wrecked car parts locators for this purpose. And if you could find one that is the same color car as yours, that would be sweet.

Talk to your insurance company and see if they will approve this sort of swap. Many will, but you have to ask.

Hi All,

Here's an update.

Car has been sitting at John Eagle for over 4 weeks now waiting for parts.

I have 90% of the parts in, however still waiting for a few, which John Eagle says they will not start on the car until they receive all the parts.

The service manager at Tesla, keeps giving me the run around. He promises parts in 3-5 days, and keeps insisting that a 3 - 5 month process is NORMAL body shop procedure. Total BS. My buddy ownes a collision shop and says typical is 2-3 weeks for the worst front end or rear end collisions.

John Eagle, (which i now know i made a bad decision to go with them) still claims the car is 5 weeks out after parts come in. 5 WEEKS OUT? says there is a specific JIG the car needs to get onto. once the car gets on this JIG to have it's spine checked out, it stays on this JIG until the car is repaired. The problem is, they only have 1 JIG. So they can only repair 1 F'ing car at a time!!

1. Please let me know if anyone has escalated this above. Please send me contacts at TESLA
2. I'm considering bringing this to media
3. I also have lawyers looking into how i can get out of these lease.
4. I want to escalate this as far as i can, but please let me know if any of you have had similar issues.