TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

REPAIR NIGHTMARE

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bigjon, Nov 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bigjon

bigjon New Member

Not sure how many of you have experienced a repair yet. My wife drove through the garage with a wing door open, and completely smashed the door.

Like any other $100k car, you would expect to be able to bring it to a high end body shop or one of your preference.

Not with Tesla.

Here in my area, there are only TWO certified auto-body shops, and one of them, the owner is old, slow, and doesn't seem competent.

That's not the worse part, the worse part, is that the body shop says it takes about 9 weeks to receive parts from Tesla. Therefore, to replace just a single wing door, it's a 4-6 month process.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this terrible news. It's unacceptable in my mind.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Thats horrible, you are not the first one that drove into the garage without closing the doors. Yea Tesla service is very slow, it takes me 2-3 weeks to just get an appointment. Can you share some pics? Curious to see the damage

• Like x 1
  3. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Sadly, very common story with Tesla repairs.

Something they MUST fix before the Model 3, or it literally could be the downfall of the entire company.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  4. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Ouch!
    Hi, welcome for your first post :(

I imagine that Tesla must have some parts available, and it should not take more than a week to get it shipped from the Fremont factory?
    ????

- Is there any warning when releasing the parking brake and starting to move the car to remind about any opened door?

- Can you still close the damaged door allowing you to continue using your car, even going on a freeway?

5. bigjon

bigjon New Member

I'll try to send some photos later. I agree...there should also be a software upgrade that doesn't let you drive with the falcon wing door open. Off the back, wife feels uncomfortable parking inside now, however, we have to because the chargers inside....lol.

If part replacement and more authorized repair shops don't increase....i'm with you that when the tesla model 3 rolls out its going to be a nightmare.

• Like x 1
  6. Sluggah

Sluggah Active Member

#6 Sluggah, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    I don't understand how your wife was able to back out without any alerts or alarms going off.

My X alerts me with many different alarms if I put the car in D if any door is open.

7. balefire

balefire Member

I needed a few minor body shop repairs on my old MS 85.
    Usu took 1 to 2 weeks.
    I don't think the MS suffers from the same delays.
    I bet that as the MX matures, parts availability will improve.

8. Emcsquared

Emcsquared Member

Oh how I wish that was the case. I just finished waiting 15 weeks to get a drivers side headlight for my 2012 MS... and the car was in the shop the entire time... SMH....

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Do you get a loaner in this case? :mad:

10. polymathic

polymathic Member

I'm curious to hear how that happened, too. Giving the circumstances might save someone from making the same mistake.

11. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Please no. There are times when I need to move the car with a door open, there is already red on the dash and lots of chimes and that should suffice as a warning.

• Like x 3
  12. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I hope you didn't choose John Eagle. They did a horrible job on my S. Trade Secret isn't fast but they've done a great job for me, twice now. And I have MC red, which is considered a tough color to match.

• Informative x 1
  13. matblk

matblk Member

If you have a narrow garage, the car will beep and chime constantly — regardless of if the FWDoors are open or closed. The open door warning can be cleared to see the rear view camera. This leaves you in a situation where you have learned to ignore the alert beeps, thinking they are warning you about of the nearby wall and not the open door(s).

The aviation industry puts a lot of thought into aural warnings because of a long history of pilots failing to differentiate between "FYI" and "holly sh*t, stop what you're doing right now" alerts. Instead of having just one or two similar alerts, there are a wide variety so you can hear how important they are. The best systems use multiword alerts for extremely urgent situations (example: PULL UP, PULL UP). Also, if the aircraft is trying to alert you to separate issues, the system needs to prioritize the alert that is most important. In the case of a narrow garage, STFU about the nearby wall and tell the driver the FWDoors are open and the car is moving.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. SSD420

SSD420 Member

2-3 weeks?? You're lucky! My next scheduled SC appointment is January 3rd!!! And it's an appointment to fix something that has been in for repair 4 times now.

.. actually I think it was you who reported having a similar issue.. a rattle coming from the lift gate. Sounded like cans or glass .. they think our cables in my lift gate that need to be secured.

15. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Any chance the repair facility can locate a totaled MX that has the correct FWD you need that is not damaged? There are wrecked car parts locators for this purpose. And if you could find one that is the same color car as yours, that would be sweet.

Talk to your insurance company and see if they will approve this sort of swap. Many will, but you have to ask.

16. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Yikes. Sounds like if our car gets damaged we'll be driving a smelly rental for weeks/months while still making those big Tesla monthly payments. :(

17. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

Would it be worth driving your car to Fremont and going to a local Tesla shop there?

18. bigjon

bigjon New Member

Hi All,

Here's an update.

Car has been sitting at John Eagle for over 4 weeks now waiting for parts.

I have 90% of the parts in, however still waiting for a few, which John Eagle says they will not start on the car until they receive all the parts.

The service manager at Tesla, keeps giving me the run around. He promises parts in 3-5 days, and keeps insisting that a 3 - 5 month process is NORMAL body shop procedure. Total BS. My buddy ownes a collision shop and says typical is 2-3 weeks for the worst front end or rear end collisions.

John Eagle, (which i now know i made a bad decision to go with them) still claims the car is 5 weeks out after parts come in. 5 WEEKS OUT? says there is a specific JIG the car needs to get onto. once the car gets on this JIG to have it's spine checked out, it stays on this JIG until the car is repaired. The problem is, they only have 1 JIG. So they can only repair 1 F'ing car at a time!!

1. Please let me know if anyone has escalated this above. Please send me contacts at TESLA
    2. I'm considering bringing this to media
    3. I also have lawyers looking into how i can get out of these lease.
    4. I want to escalate this as far as i can, but please let me know if any of you have had similar issues.

• Like x 3
  19. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I encourage you to escalate. You have a right to reasonably prompt spare parts availability and clear communication. Tesla is failing and in my experience, they only act when the wheel is squeaky enough.

20. EddyCharette

EddyCharette New Member