Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair or replace front driver side panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While backing up in the garage, side panel got a large dent near driver side camera. can it be repaired? no paint scratches. No damage to door, dent occurred only to the panel behind the camera, wondering if it can be repaired or the panel must be replaced, if panel must be replaced, how much it can cost? appreciate any suggestions.

PXL_20211203_131632268.jpg

I suggest contacting a couple of reputable local paintless dent repair shop for a quote. That's the only way to get an accurate price on your repair.
Good advice, but make sure it is a Tesla Authorized repair center. There is one somewhere in the Hartford area (I assume you are in Newington, CT). You can find out it's exact location and the location of others at the Tesla website. Hopefully you won't need a new panel. Someone backed into my M3 in mid-October. I needed an entire new driver's side front fender panel. It was ordered on 11/11 and just shipped from Tesla on 12/1.

Good advice, but make sure it is a Tesla Authorized repair center. There is one somewhere in the Hartford area (I assume you are in Newington, CT). You can find out it's exact location and the location of others at the Tesla website. Hopefully you won't need a new panel. Someone backed into my M3 in mid-October. I needed an entire new driver's side front fender panel. It was ordered on 11/11 and just shipped from Tesla on 12/1.
I think a PDR person is almost by definition not a Tesla Authorized repair center, aren't they? I would also check out the PDR avenue first though.

While backing up in the garage, side panel got a large dent near driver side camera. can it be repaired? no paint scratches.

Wow, how did you incur so much damage without scratching the paint?!?

No damage to door, dent occurred only to the panel behind the camera, wondering if it can be repaired or the panel must be replaced, if panel must be replaced, how much it can cost? appreciate any suggestions.

As others have stated, paint-less dent repair (PDR) is your ticket to avoiding panel replacement and repainting.
Tesla uses aluminum panels, that take more time and care to PDR, so expect a higher bill than you would have had if the damage was on a steel panel.

Good advice, but make sure it is a Tesla Authorized repair center.

This is bad advise - official dealer Authorized repair shops will never do PDR. It's neither their competency, nor would it be profitable for them to PDR a panel when they can make more money replacing and repainting it!

PDR is as much art as it is science, you so REALLY want to find someone experienced and well reviewed.
Check out Google, as well as you local car clubs for feedback and recommendations.
Some of the work PDR guys do is close to miraculous:

HTH,
a

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin

Why does it have to be an authorized repair center for PDR? It's body work, body shops have been working on cars for a century now, there's nothing special here about a Tesla.

No authorized repair center is going to do PDR anyway, because they have no motivation to do so. They miss out on body and paint sales doing PDR.

OP should find a reputable paintless dent repair service, have them look at the panel, and get an estimate. If it's not repairable, only then pursue a reputable or authorized body shop.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and afadeev
It was caused while I was backing up in garage and my trash bin wheel got pinned behind the front wheel, the pressure from it resulted in the dent, that is why no paint loss or scratches, even the damage is just behind the camera area, I am going to try a PDR option, appreciate every one suggestions,

PXL_20211203_131632268.jpg

I suppose I wasn't clear enough. IF someone else caused the damage, THEN go to a Tesla authorized body shop and get that damaged panel replaced. The other person's insurance will cover the cost and you will have a brand new panel.

It's not that simple.
  1. First of all, Tesla authorized body shops are backup for weeks or months (depends on the location).
  2. Accident repair on your car's history will negatively effect car's resale value. Every time. You may, or may not, be able to recoup some of that with "diminished value" claim (varies by state) from at-fault driver's insurance.
  3. Last, but not least, no matter how carefully the paint is matched, it is never the same as it was at the factory. Usually, it is actually better (Tesla paint quality is a crap shoot), but no matter what, it will age differently than factory paint. If you intend to keep your Model 3 for many years to come, you will absolutely be able to spot panels that got re-sprayed at different times.
You really want to avoid body work if at all possible. Especially, on a Tesla.

PDR not only saves you time and money (if viable), but properly executed, returns the car to pre-accident state in terms of paint match and vehicle history. That's a very good out come, indeed.

a

Reactions: ODWms
I suppose I wasn't clear enough. IF someone else caused the damage, THEN go to a Tesla authorized body shop and get that damaged panel replaced. The other person's insurance will cover the cost and you will have a brand new panel.

That's a good point, definitely no reason to mess around with PDR if the other party's insurance is paying.
In that case, yes go to an authorized repair shop. Contact the other person's insurance, that's what I did when my car had been backed into.

They ended up suggesting an amazing body shop, that mainly did exotics, but also was a Tesla authorized body shop.

It's not that simple.
  1. First of all, Tesla authorized body shops are backup for weeks or months (depends on the location).
  2. Accident repair on your car's history will negatively effect car's resale value. Every time. You may, or may not, be able to recoup some of that with "diminished value" claim (varies by state) from at-fault driver's insurance.
  3. Last, but not least, no matter how carefully the paint is matched, it is never the same as it was at the factory. Usually, it is actually better (Tesla paint quality is a crap shoot), but no matter what, it will age differently than factory paint. If you intend to keep your Model 3 for many years to come, you will absolutely be able to spot panels that got re-sprayed at different times.
You really want to avoid body work if at all possible. Especially, on a Tesla.

PDR not only saves you time and money (if viable), but properly executed, returns the car to pre-accident state in terms of paint match and vehicle history. That's a very good out come, indeed.

a

If insurance is involved, it doesn't matter if you do PDR or replacement body work. A reported accident is a reported accident.

Yes, it not Aluminum, Appreciate Mr. Musk and company to think about these things :)
I went to this PDR shop, https://ctdentworx.com/
Now my car is fixed, they did amazing PDR job, the dent was little large as you can see from my previous pics, it took around 6 hrs of work, but now It looks just like a new car.

Attachments

• 8264414743663048875.jpg
    8264414743663048875.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 131