TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Repair parts Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Chiefpark, Aug 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chiefpark

Chiefpark New Member

Got rearended in mid June. Went to authorized Tesla repair shop. Shop has been waiting for parts for two months fro Tesla. Really...two months! Is this the norm?

• Love x 1
  2. spectrum

spectrum Member

Some people wait up to 6 months :(

3. nogassnorlax

nogassnorlax Member

does Tesla give you a loaner in these situations?

4. spectrum

spectrum Member

No, Tesla doesn't have much to do with collision incidents. They only give loaners for service and warranty fixes. In fact, all car manufacturers work this way.

If you need a rental while your car is in the shop, your insurance policy (if you have rental car reimbursement) will pay for it. I know it sucks, but that's the truth.

5. HabitualUser

HabitualUser Member

Call your service center, explain the situation. Ask for a Tesla loaner, they may give you one until your car is fixed.

6. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

My X got rear ended about the same time as the OP’s. Parts were ordered, but then I heard nothing from the body shop. After a month I called and found out the parts were in. Don’t know when they’d have told me if I hadn’t called.

Took Tesla in next day, and got it back looking like new two weeks later. Never expected a Tesla loaner.

7. CFrolander

CFrolander Member

Someone veered out of control on the freeway and smashed into the side of my Model X. I've been told by tesla that the assembly I'm missing (Right Side Assembly, I think most of the right side of the car) is just one week away, or two weeks away, for seven weeks now. I heard today that it will BE here on the 27th, that was after it will BE HERE on the 13th, and that was after it will BE HERE on the 7th, and so on. The wreck happened near the end of June, so I'm going in at like 9 weeks now? Probably 7 since the part has been ordered since I think it was July 2 for that part order.

I understand that sometimes parts, especially major ones like this, are hard to come up with. My issue lately has been that I feel like I'm constantly having a carrot dangled right infront of me with these parts always just a week or two away. If the parts won't be in until the end of September, they need to just tell me that and stop with this "Next week" nonsense. Like was said elsewhere, I paid a lot of money for this car, but now that they've got it I kind of feel like I'm being treated like a second class citizen and nobody at Tesla seems to care. Just more: "Oh don't worry sir, the part will be in stock next week"

[​IMG]

• Love x 1
  8. spectrum

spectrum Member

Ouch. Have you considered totaling it?

9. bayx

bayx Member

Doesn't the insurance company decide that? Thought owner won't have a say in it?

10. CFrolander

CFrolander Member

Yeah I don't think that's my call. I've heard it takes a whole lot to total these just because they are so expensive.

11. spectrum

spectrum Member

I think it's the opposite for Tesla's. They are totaled very easily because they cost so much to repair. This is why Teslas are totaled so easily

• Informative x 1
  12. rms57

rms57 Member

I would look a little deeper into what's actually causing the delay. We took our vehicle in to Service King (SK) in Gaithersburg over a month ago. The insurance agent was there along with the SK advisor. Parts were approved to be ordered on the spot by the insurance agent. SK wanted to keep the car right then and the insurance agent was smart enough to tell us to keep the car as the car was drivable and we only have 30 days of rental approved in our insurance plan. No point wasting the days waiting for parts to be delivered.

It's been over a month since we were at SK and I haven't received a call back. So, I checked with Tesla to get an update on our parts. If you email them with your VIN and approved repair shop, they'll provide you with shipping and itemized information for everything that was ordered.

Turns out the parts for my repair have been at SK for nearly two weeks already. The FedEx tracking information proves this. I haven't contacted them as I'm waiting to hear from them and see what they're going to tell me unprompted. I'm still not sure what to do with this information... sit tight, tell the insurance company to approve the repairs elsewhere, etc. I'll be sure to update as information is available.

My point is that unfortunately no one wants to accept the blame. So, we have to do some (very easy) digging to find out where the problem lies. I'm sure every case is different, but in my case Tesla has actually been the up front and honest part of the issue.

Repair shops blame parts companies because they say they're not allowed to order something if they're unsure it will be needed. Unfortunately, car repairs seem to come in two phases. One to start and deal with the cosmetic issues. The other is once the panels are open and they're able to see any structural or deeper repairs that need to be addressed. For us, the 2 week parts delay comes into play here as you're waiting for parts twice. There should be a smarter, more honest, way of ordering everything you think you'll need and not being liable for sending back parts that weren't opened and didn't need to be used in the repair. Unfortunately, like all business, it's a game.

• Helpful x 1
  13. teethdood

teethdood Member

Elon recently said that Tesla service centers will do collision repairs soon. You all know what "soon" means according to Elon.

14. xKRSx

xKRSx Member

My parked X was front ended at work on 8/23 and towed to the approved body shop the next day. Approx $10k in damage with front bumper and hood replacement. Surprisingly the Initial estimate from the body shop and insurance was that we’d be back with the car on 9/21 but a week ago we were told 10/28 or later because parts are backordered. We called Tesla though and they looked up all the parts on file for our order and as of today everything has been delivered except for the hood which Tesla said is escalating and will expedite delivery within 48 hours. Seems like with enough follow up between Tesla and the body shop the process nudges along.

15. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

I said this before. Max our your rental coverage. It cost like $100 a year to have $5000 in rental cars paid for...